Ardacraft like landscapes

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

Ardacraft like landscapes

by Neuromancer » Post

I remembered seeing the project to build Lord of the Rings in Minecraft a while back. They've come a long way. The trees and landscapes are just so beautiful. Makes me wonder what it would take to get Minetest to do this stuff: https://youtu.be/PXmNnnk690s

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: Ardacraft like landscapes

by Blockhead » Post

Well, what's stopping you?

One thing I can see is the shader being different from our own dynamic shadows - although I can see volumetric fog, which we also have. So it would be pretty close with a custom sun texture and dynamic shadows cranked. I don't think I even saw any bump mapping. We also have a waving plants shader option.

As for the nodes/blocks: We have nodebox and mesh nodes, so we can easily make those kinds of shapes. Windmills might be an entity. Even the trees look like they are cleverly crafted out of meshes, which can be emulated in Minetest.

Another thing might be the advanced tools like the original WorldEdit, and others like VoxelSniper that help paint the terrain. Certainly that helps speed things up, but you can always place things manually.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

That certainly looks good. Is it a mod you've played or is actually available? It is quite the accomplishment.

I think a better water shader would be a nice addition to MT.

As for content, those textures are not 16x16, obviously, so unless you've got a high end PC to use with high def texture packs, its really not feasible. Android users will probably never see even a Minecraft version of this.

As for MT, I think it can be done. With the new bloom and shadows features, we're very close. Apercys water shader is nice, but I'd like to see water as in the video.

Content, other than texture packs, is either a mod heavy load, or a much better organization of existing content.

In my gal mod, there is a shape library that can already provide numbers nodebox shapes, (replacement for stairs, walls, doors, and many additional nodeboxes for furniture, architecture, and even reliquary.). New shapes are "easily" registered, and functions available to simply create new "shapes" when registering new nodes.

This makes the more detailed building architecture very possible. Sorry for the screenies, but they show off the nodebox shapes in gal.
Attachments
screenshot_20221117_094324.jpg
screenshot_20221117_094324.jpg (206.45 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
screenshot_20221117_140556.jpg
screenshot_20221117_140556.jpg (199.27 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
screenshot_20221117_135326.jpg
screenshot_20221117_135326.jpg (251.59 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 03:23
Well, what's stopping you?

One thing I can see is the shader being different from our own dynamic shadows - although I can see volumetric fog, which we also have. So it would be pretty close with a custom sun texture and dynamic shadows cranked. I don't think I even saw any bump mapping. We also have a waving plants shader option.

As for the nodes/blocks: We have nodebox and mesh nodes, so we can easily make those kinds of shapes. Windmills might be an entity. Even the trees look like they are cleverly crafted out of meshes, which can be emulated in Minetest.

Another thing might be the advanced tools like the original WorldEdit, and others like VoxelSniper that help paint the terrain. Certainly that helps speed things up, but you can always place things manually.
So I think that just getting trees even beginning to approximate those trees would be very difficult, but not impossible. I get how you might do the branches with node boxes. There was a mod called growing trees that did something kind of similar. Also the mod dynamic trees does it, though we'd need more horizontal and diagonal node boxes to pull it off. Where I'm running into trouble is with how to do the leaves. They clearly aren't standard block leaves. I'm not even sure that the bushy leaves mod gets us all the way there. https://content.minetest.net/packages/e ... hy_leaves/ Though it would probably be better than using the simple x pattern used for plants. How do you think they do the leaves? Is it an x pattern, a bushy leaves pattern or something else?

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

So the magic that makes this all possible in Minecraft is a modpack called "Conquest Refabricated" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OifsN_i30vk

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

I created a texture pack to go with the bushy leaves mod here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29529&p=425533#p425533 It's my first attempt to get us closer to "Conquest Refabricated" modpack that is used by Ardacraft.
Here's what it looks like: Image

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

I tried the bushy_leaves mod, but find it jitter inducing. I've thought of similar ideas for plants as well, so maybe put in a feature request for a couple of additional new drawtypes, like we got plantlike_rooted.

I've also had trees using plantlike instead of facedir, for somewhat faster performance, but they don't look great. Still, might enable heavier mod to run on lower power pcs.

Shad

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 03:37
I tried the bushy_leaves mod, but find it jitter inducing. I've thought of similar ideas for plants as well, so maybe put in a feature request for a couple of additional new drawtypes, like we got plantlike_rooted.

I've also had trees using plantlike instead of facedir, for somewhat faster performance, but they don't look great. Still, might enable heavier mod to run on lower power pcs.

Shad
I think we are going to need the new drawtypes because bushy leaves causes FPS to plummet. I thought about using plantlike, but yeah it will look really bad from below or above. We would need at least 1 maybe 2 .pngs oriented/displayed on the horizontal plane. Possibly angling up slightly. You could get really fancy and have the vertical images at at angle to radiate out from the trunk, but then you might need 2 types of nodes, and also you would have to orient them differently depending on where they are relative to the trunk. With bushy leaves orientations you don't need to do that. It may take some research trying different orientations by playing around with bushy leaves to find the best combo. I wish we could tell how many images and the orientations of what is used by "Conquest Refabricated" I looked, in the videos, but without actually having them installed it is so hard to tell.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Neuromancer wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 23:06
I wish we could tell how many images and the orientations of what is used by "Conquest Refabricated" I looked, in the videos, but without actually having them installed it is so hard to tell.
You can always download Conquest Reforged. Even if you don't have a Minecraft account to play the game with, you can look through the files - .zip is easily opened .jar is secretly just .zip with some specific extras. Of course, you have to check the licence - you probably can't use their assets straight up. But you can take inspiration and so on.

Of course, under closer inspection, Minetest seems to lack a few features. One thing I noticed is they use a feature Minetest doesn't really have, which is those palettes of biome colouration for foliage. Mineclone2 uses hardware colouring with a palette, rather than smooth sampling off the triangle shapes like Minecraft can do.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

@Blockhead,

You can use a palette to colorize textures. It's in the lua_api.txt.

I use a localized palette of colors in my gal mod to colorize grayscale images for grass. Look at sofars Lucious mod also, as they used an image palette to colorize dirt_with_grass, plants and trees according to heat / humidity values.

It's the drawtypes that need some minor tweaking or additional drawtypes. Nathan posted code a while back in regards to how to manipulate the plantlike drawtype using param2 values. Also in the lua_api.txt. Some of this is used to make a '*' instead of 'x' for plantlike, as well as other goodies.

Shad

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 19:22
It's the drawtypes that need some minor tweaking or additional drawtypes. Nathan posted code a while back in regards to how to manipulate the plantlike drawtype using param2 values. Also in the lua_api.txt. Some of this is used to make a '*' instead of 'x' for plantlike, as well as other goodies.

Shad
Here's the link to Nathan's info: viewtopic.php?t=22087 Though I think that this will not allow an image to be aligned on the horizontal plane correct? Even with this, the best that can be done is multiple images, but all on vertical planes? Because the reason that bushy leaves looks nice/works is because it has images on all 3 axes.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

So I created a mod called Realistic Trees and I am able to completely avoid the performance hit found in Bushy Leaves mod by going with a plantlike drawtype instead of node boxes, but am unable to use the special plant shapes that Nathan was able to. You can find the mod here. If you have any ideas on why the special plant shapes aren't working I've got a more detailed question posted there. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29538&p=425637#p425637