5. It looks like people DO want shrunk version to be included. So, maybe we are to discuss the features to be implemented?
I believe there are enough people who are reading this and capable of implementing any features expected from a mesecons counterpart\shrunk ver.
Personally I expect a light version to have the following features:
- Wires that can be placed vertically on a side of a block. Redstone in MC can't do it in the vanilla game. Can't see why not to outsmart MC in this way.
- No need to use repeaters to connect adjacent blocks to a power line. Node should be automatically receive power signal if they're next to a wire.
- Because of the previous, wires should be able to transmit power only when there's no blocking. I'll try to explain.
right now mesecons can transmit signal from A to B like this:
Code: Select all
As one can see, even though there's a block @ 2b, the signal passes from A to B. I'd rather have it to not pass in a setup like this. Then, to make a signal pass, one will be obliged to do this:
Code: Select all
b N BN
Yep, there's air now, and nothing blocks the signal. This feature will help to isolate circuits while vertical placement will save us from making huge stairs to get the wire some nodes below the surface.
- Logic, based on mesetorches. No controllers or components for logic.
- Levels of signal. Will raise up the cost of wiring and slow down the increase of affected nodes. Also, which is faster: set_node() or meta:set_int()? Maybe we can trade off the visual effects? I mean, wires in our homes do not glow when we turn on the lights.
- Pistons & sticky pistons. Making mechanisms and huge doors with 'em is a good feature.
- Several sources of a signal: torches, levers (not wall-levers only), blinky plants (or another pulsing source), buttons (activate a circuit only for a couple of seconds), pressure plates (to detect players/mobs), repeaters (in MC those are combined with delayers) - to powerup existing signal and be a source of a signal only if there is a signal on input, Solar panel that outputs signal which power depends on the minetest.get_node_light() (to build automatic lighting systems and detect a nearby mob\player (useful for traps)). Turbines and the other stuff is not necessary - the above sources can be used instead.
- Wires should be compatible with rails. In fact, carts_boost + lightened mesecons is smth I'm looking forward to (acceleration rails, brake rails).
- Lamps are unnecessary, but at least 1 node that emits light while powered should exist.
- No aliases or compatibility stuff - new mesecons are to be a new feature and therefore there won't be any "leftovers" from the other nodes.
Well, I guess that's all I want of mesecons.