More Android control modes.

MADCastro
In-game: Marcos_de_Castro

More Android control modes.

by MADCastro » Post

Well, i have something to say. I'm glad to see that we have Minetest on Android and it's differences to the Desktop version is almost zero. Altough, i have some problems about it, that is mainly the controls. It is a serious problem on specific devices like the NVIDIA Shield or the Android Mini PCs. Emulating touch through controllers/keyboards doesn't work properly and wil also not allow me to use the console. Well, i Think there should be more control modes. I thought in:

*Analog touch control movement
*Gyroscope movement
*Bluetooth, USB and Integrated Controller support (important for the NVIDIA Shield, Android TV Boxes and Mini PCs, OUYA, Mad Catz M.O.J.O., MOGA/Nyko/iPega/PS3/PS4 Controllers)
*USB/Bluetooth/ASUS Transformer Pad Keyboard and Mouse (Also important, Just like in the desktop version)

I accept suggestions.
Android is not just a touchscreen platform anymore.

Later!

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

Re: More Android control modes.

by mnh48 » Post

I'm playing Minetest on Android using USB keyboard and mouse (both are connected via USB Hub which connected to phone via OTG)...

the keyboard works as expected so no issue on that, what needs to fix is mouse, it just acts as a finger, you still need to long-press mouse button as if you're long-press the touchscreen, and you can't separate stack by mouse alone...

xeros
GitHub: xeros
IRC: xeros
In-game: xeros

by xeros » Post

I (together with my children who love Minecraft) were really interested in this project, but unfortunately Android controls (tested in 0.4.16.17 from Google Play Store) still seem to be in really bad state.

I wanted to run it on Android TVs (5.1.1) & Android TV Box'es (7.1.2), but:
- gamepads are not supported (including wired ones, connected to USB) - even after enabling joystick in config (tried all buttons (only B is recognized for back/esc), no any axis in both digital & analog modes, no other buttons) - my gamepad work fine for me in other games, I have correct kernel module (hid-dr.ko) and Vendor_0079_Product_0006.kl mapping file,
- IR, Bluetooth & USB RF radio remotes are unusable - really small reaction for buttons press (much too small sensitivity and not repeating for keeping buttons pressed) - almost no movement at all
- USB RF radio "air mouse" remotes that use gyro for mouse cursor) are unusable too - sensitivity is so huge that even 2-3 milimeters movement of cursor on screen make see ground or sky instantly and no regularity (moving cursor up also often turns to ground) and need to have button pressed during movement attempt.
Could you do something about it? or advice other configuration tweaks that may help?

Besides that, even on clean S912 (8-core 64-bit Cortex A53 Aarch64 (ARMv8) with 3GB RAM and fast builtin eMMC storage with Android 7.1.2), loading single player map (on lowest settings) hits ANR ("Application Minetest is not responding") dialog due to frozen main thread for more than 5 seconds during loading. This should be optimized to not freeze UI.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Yes the official MT Android app is in a bad state, especially the controls, we are now intending to sort it out before MT 0.5.0 (next release).

xeros
GitHub: xeros
IRC: xeros
In-game: xeros

by xeros » Post

Thank you paramat. I didn't want to make it sound so negative like it did. I really like this project initiative and I feel its possibilities.

Can I help you somehow? At least with testing. I (& my family) have many Android 4.1-7.1 devices around with more controllers (IR, USB, RF, BT).

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Testing wil be very welcome.
Please join Github and keep an eye on Android development, here's the relevant issue https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/6731