Feature Request RGB option for Light sources

Dragon95

Feature Request RGB option for Light sources

by Dragon95 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 16:05

I think it will be nice to have an RGB option for all light sources ,so that the light color can be set in different colors for example lava with more red like light.

What you are think about that.

indriApollo

GitHub: indriApollo
IRC: indriApollo
In-game: SudoAptGetPlay

Re: Feature Request RGB option for Light sources

by indriApollo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 16:25

That's a cool feature indeed but we must wait for hardware lightning to come to minetest first

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 16:40

This is a very good feature in terms of graphics. It has been requested many times.

But, it's not as simple as 'this is a good idea', someone needs to actually develop it. There are lots of technical challenges to overcome, such as what happens if map blocks are not loaded around the player? RealBadAngel has this on his to do list, AFAIK.

Dragon95

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 03:53

I agree, this has been suggested several times, me included. I also think this would greatly enhance visuals.

I have talked with celeron55 in IRC about this a while ago. He told me that one problem with this is that this would also largely increase the about of required data, which is especially bad for network.

It has been a while since this chat, I don't know if things have changed.

aFoxNamedMorris

by aFoxNamedMorris » Fri Feb 13, 2015 14:40

Wuzzy wrote:I agree, this has been suggested several times, me included. I also think this would greatly enhance visuals.

I have talked with celeron55 in IRC about this a while ago. He told me that one problem with this is that this would also largely increase the about of required data, which is especially bad for network.

It has been a while since this chat, I don't know if things have changed.

Not necessarily. If the lighting was client-side, RGB lights would be fine on servers. At least as far as my limited knowledge of client/server relations goes.

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Fri Feb 13, 2015 16:23

aFoxNamedMorris wrote:Not necessarily. If the lighting was client-side, RGB lights would be fine on servers. At least as far as my limited knowledge of client/server relations goes.

Minetest currently has no dynamic lighting. The light is completly handled by the server, so every node has lighting levels. If there would be RGB lights, you would need light levels for every color channel.

Return to Feature Discussion