My thoughts on Minetest coming from Minecraft

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

Re: My thoughts on Minetest coming from Minecraft

by Ferk » Wed Oct 14, 2015 15:56

Linuxdirk wrote:Don't get me wrong, the modding API is a nice thing to have. But if the API would be actually a real modding API all Minetest forks could be proper subgame.

How many Minetest engine forks are out there?

* Voxelands, which wouldn't be happy with the modding API no matter how flexible

* Freeminer, which seems it was forked out of ideological reasons, something about "frustration with the dev team" though it's not very clear to me what happened, but I have a feeling that freeminer is more experimental, less afraid of breaking things. I don't think you can easily add a modding API that would give you that kind of freedom, unless you make a library out of the mientest core (which would also make Voxelands happy), but then you'll still need to fork the engine itself anyway.

* Magichet, I'm also unsure but wasn't there some ideology problem here as well? I don't think there are features in the magichet engine that are very controversial, looks more like communication problems between the dev teams of magichet (4aiman) and minetest. Maybe the most controversial change is the controls (eating is done with right click). I agree that there should be a way in the engine to somehow change this and be able to give proper use to the right click other than on_place. I bumped into the problem when working on Dungeontest.

Are there any other ones where a different modding api would have helped?
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

blockybison

by blockybison » Thu Oct 15, 2015 02:36

Voxelands looks like the work of a single developer going "screw this 'engine' and 'modding' bs, I'm gonna make an actual game". It also appears to be a lot more loosely managed (the art looks really inconsistent, the mobs use higher res sprites than the environment and feel out of place).

Freeminer I don't know, I'm also interested to know what's their deal and what direction they are aiming for that is not compatible with Minetest's.

Magichet I thought was a proprietary subgame with a mildly modified client and hilariously restrictive license that was already the source of a small amount of drama in this forum. Not sure if I would call it a fork in the sense we usually think about it, even though it might technically be one.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 08:43

Magichet has two parts, a fork of the engine and a subgame. You can use either without the other.

ABJ

Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:33

"If you feel like Minetest is anything less than divinely perfect, than go away" That's what I've read from a whole lot of Minetesters. It's just sad. And also "Minecraft ideas are satanic" is what I've heard from a seemingly similar number amounts to. Ugh. If it had hadn't been for Minecraft, would Minetest even exist? If it hadn't been that that game made block breakers so popular, why would anyone bother making this game? Unlike seemingly popular belief, in my honest opinion, it is not patriotic to insult the inspiration if not for which we would not have been brought together as we are today.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 21:20

ABJ wrote:"If you feel like Minetest is anything less than divinely perfect, than go away" That's what I've read from a whole lot of Minetesters. It's just sad. And also "Minecraft ideas are satanic" is what I've heard from a seemingly similar number amounts to. Ugh. If it had hadn't been for Minecraft, would Minetest even exist? If it hadn't been that that game made block breakers so popular, why would anyone bother making this game? Unlike seemingly popular belief, in my honest opinion, it is not patriotic to insult the inspiration if not for which we would not have been brought together as we are today.

Minetest is mostly inspired upon Infinimer, then it just came out to copy a bit of the Minecraft's logic, such as the inventory.
Actually Minetest came out as nearly to Minecraft, it's actually common relate the two games, and because MineCraft is more popular, the people think that Minetest is a direct "Rip-Off" from Minecraft. If Minetest would be more popular it would be very different.

The Masses do not like to really research that much. ;)
Last edited by MineYoshi on Wed Apr 26, 2017 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Happy new Year 2020: let's all aim finally for a clear vision of what we want to make of Minetest!

ABJ

Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 08:29

And we?? We seem to think that Minecraft is the very manifestation of all the devil's work! Believe me, I can't count the number of times I've heard things like "Minecrap", "The Game That Should Not Be Mentioned", etc

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 16:16

ABJ wrote:And we?? We seem to think that Minecraft is the very manifestation of all the devil's work! Believe me, I can't count the number of times I've heard things like "Minecrap", "The Game That Should Not Be Mentioned", etc

The excessive MineCraft-Phobia in this community is maybe made by some users, not everybody here thinks like that of MineCraft. It's some kind rivalry made by MineCraft users arguing their game is better than this one, then the Minetest community just knocks back with the MineCraft-Phobia. I mean, not everybody thinks MineCraft is a bad game, or some kind of sorcery made by Lucifer himself.
It's likely the kind of collective hate to Windows from Linux community, it's just made because the rivalry.
Happy new Year 2020: let's all aim finally for a clear vision of what we want to make of Minetest!

crazy_baboon

by crazy_baboon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 13:31

Take a look at sphere-test.

Is this original and unique to minetest?

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:00

Nobody in this thread said that being a Minecraft clone is bad, though.

But is being a Minecraft clone the goal of Minetest Game (MTG)?

I don't think it would be good if the "Minecraft-phobia" label was used to bash any opposition that rejects Minecraft concepts in MTG.

Imho, MTG shouldn't indiscriminately incorporate concepts from Minecraft just because Minecraft players are used to them.
Not everything that could be adapted from Minecraft would be an improvement.

I find a lot of textures in MTG are more fitting and have higher quality than the ones in Minecraft.
I find some things in Minetest would have been more interesting were they not arbitrarily taken from Minecraft to the point of causing some inconsistencies (and that was what that comment I wrote 2 years ago was about... since then, crafting bronze was recently changed though).

I think that Minetest Game has potential to be a much more interesting and richer game if it didn't have to be tied to follow the exact same mechanics and concepts as Minecraft.

People have already been doing "Minecraft-clone" subgames (eg. MineClone2). You can use one of those if you want that, but do not try to force-feed Minecraft into Minetest Game.
Last edited by Ferk on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:23

As a core developer and MTG dev, I don't care if a feature is used in Minecraft. I'll approve it on its merits alone.

Also, this thread is 2 years old - you shouldn't bump a such a thread as none of the authors are likely to care by this point.

ABJ

by ABJ » Sat Apr 29, 2017 16:18

mister. rubenwardy. core developer and Minetest game developer, excuse my hotheadedness, but for the record, that was not a bump. UNLESS you got c55 to edit the forum files and made. Or used some of your so-secret mind control technology and compelled me to edit. [I]It is not a bump!{/i]

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 16:56

ABJ wrote:mister. rubenwardy. core developer and Minetest game developer, excuse my hotheadedness, but for the record, that was not a bump. UNLESS you got c55 to edit the forum files and made. Or used some of your so-secret mind control technology and compelled me to edit. [I]It is not a bump!{/i]

It was

Also, a mentioning of my responsibilities wasn't to pull rank, but to give my opinion as someone who can vote on what's added as MTG

ABJ

by ABJ » Sun Apr 30, 2017 09:09

I must now ask about the definition of "bump" as used for forum posts.

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Sun May 07, 2017 02:49

I have to say... Minetest have now improved greatly. Game no longer feel "barren" with all sort of mods you could have. Easier to manage stuff than MC as well, in my opinion.
For fast response... send me a PM

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Sun May 07, 2017 06:39

But that's the thing, without mods the minetest_game still feels "barren".

And i think that's the big difference, it's not a matter of copying Minecraft exactly or doing the same features, it is the fact that out of the box one game feels "fully featured" but the other will needs additional mods to feel "fully featured".

Maybe Minetest should go with 2 "games", one that is what minetest_game is, basically a barren base for adding mods, and another that is an actual game with full features.

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Sun May 07, 2017 15:23

Robsoie wrote:But that's the thing, without mods the minetest_game still feels "barren".

And i think that's the big difference, it's not a matter of copying Minecraft exactly or doing the same features, it is the fact that out of the box one game feels "fully featured" but the other will needs additional mods to feel "fully featured".

Maybe Minetest should go with 2 "games", one that is what minetest_game is, basically a barren base for adding mods, and another that is an actual game with full features.

Or perhaps a version with mods included. Players can tick off some boxes which/what kind of mods they want to include.

1 version is a regular/barren Minetest, and one is included with many community mods. Players can pick what kind of version they want to download beforehand.
For fast response... send me a PM

Previous

Return to Feature Discussion