Fixed Draw Distance

McBean56545
In-game: McBean56545

Fixed Draw Distance

by McBean56545 » Post

I have noticed lately that Minetest uses a dynamic draw distance, which can cause lag/ lag spikes. I was hoping that the devs could add a fixed draw distance option under the "settings" tab when you start the game.

qwertymine3
GitHub: Qwertymine
In-game: qwertymine3

Re: Fixed Draw Distance

by qwertymine3 » Post

You can already set a 'fixed' draw distance - by setting viewing_range_nodes_max to less than viewing_range_nodes_min in minetest.conf. The viewing range is then set to the value of viewing_range_nodes_max.

AFAIK there is a new settings menu being worked on for minetest 0.4.14 which should allow you to make these setting changes from the game menu.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Dynamic draw distance might be removed soon if c55's farmap is merged. Many people disable it.

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

Thats gonna propably be removed even sooner

bobomb
GitHub: bobombolo
IRC: bobomb

by bobomb » Post

paramat wrote:Dynamic draw distance might be removed soon if c55's farmap is merged. Many people disable it.
what is this farmap code anyway. there is a mod called farmap by slemonide but it doesn't do much other than stall the game. then i see this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJH6lqLVce4 which seems to show a feature that is very different, seems like it draws larger globs of nodes and then refines the detail as you approach. is this a fork or a build option or something? i don't see the word "farmap" in the minetest changelogs... how does this feature work with mapgen mods? has it been abandoned?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

It's a work in progress change which adds level of detail to the world, so far away landscape is drawn with less detail. You can then see further. Celeron55 is working on it, but he hasn't made any changes since march. It's probably on his backbench as it's hard to test due to massive change, and he's likely busy with real life

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/3502

About this thread: dynamic draw distance has been removed
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader