Minetest latest experimental features

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

Re: Minetest latest experimental features

by GreenDimond » Mon Feb 13, 2017 17:05

A "WiFi"/"Signal" icon was added to the serverlist to indicate signal strength of the server.
The 'Mods' tab doesn't show modpack content anymore, but instead a + next to them that shows content when clicked.
Y▹uTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord | GreenDimond#3232

Fixer

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 21:15

I really need to give some updates, there are some very exciting changes in 0.4.15-dev and more on the way...

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Tue Mar 07, 2017 05:12

Finally got my daily build to update correctly.
New Stuff:
-Mese post lamps (for growing things I think?)
-Rainforest litter
-New sandstone nodes (for silver and desert sand)
-Added owner's name and what item linked to key description

This is just a quick list.

ABJ

Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

burli

GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Tue Mar 07, 2017 16:09

burli wrote:
GreenDimond wrote:This is just a quick list.

You forgot the new leaf decay

Late at night. Had little time. I wrote what I remembered :P

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Wed Mar 15, 2017 08:15

desert sand and silver sand now have their own versions of sandstone -blocks and -bricks
building inspiration: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15550 --- my game: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15860 --- =(^.^)= nyan~

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 15:51

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT the official changelog, nor is it EVER intended to replace the official changelog.

Minetest

ItemStackMetaRef, a different way to store item metadata.

Items can now change their description at run-time dynamically based on metadata.

Default climbing speed increased from 2 to 3 nodes per second. Affects Minetest Game.

minetest.spawn_falling_node (https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... 3a91211490)

FormSpec: Add position and anchor elements https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... 43aa2a68c6

Fix >5 year old PlayerSAO deletion bug o_O https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... e57eed4698

Nice-looking loading bar.

Server list can be searched.

Advanced settings can be searched.

Mod configuration list looks nicer

The minimap got optimized (whatever that means).

Something about dungeons and dungeon stairs has been done.

Minetest Game

- Description / tooltip of keys shows the owner name
- Torch light level reduced from 13 to 12 :-(
- New sound for leaf digging
- Papyri and cacti now require light to grow :-( Maybe because of the new Mese Post Light?

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but many crafting recipes got changed:

- Many dye recipes were removed, dye crafting is very different (https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... f3387e7e9b)
- TNT
- Gun Powder
- Mese Lamp
- Wooden Ladder

http://wiki.minetest.net/TNT
http://wiki.minetest.net/Mese_Lamp
http://wiki.minetest.net/Gun_Powder
http://wiki.minetest.net/Wooden_Ladder

I know the new sandstones were mentioned before, but here's a screenshot (it's already outdated):

New floor block for rainforests: “Dirt with Rainforest Litter”.

Oh, and by the way: I have heard Client-Sided Modding was added to Minetest. I have no idea what this means, however. Or why anyone might need it.
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

ABJ

Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

Fixer

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 20:44

This time I decided to make it very short and post stuff that caught my eye as a simple player for time period 22DEC2016/0.4.15-15MAR2017. Minetest 0.4.16 will be exciting, and here is why:

Engine::
Graphics:
* Add smooth lighting for all nodes (BEHOLD! Yes it does, everything (stairs/slabs/water/signs/moreblocks/etc) look so awesomely smoothed now, waited for this since 2011)
* Update lighting at block loading (map protocol bump, if you have some important maps, make a backup before transition)
* New bulk node lighting code (those two fix a lot of annoying lighting bugs and moretrees are working out of the box)
* Redo lighting curve (shadows and lighting were overhauled, light sources produce much more visible light)
* Make object mesh face shading consistent (fancy now)
* Add hardware node colouring (very useful change, already used by modders to colour the nodes and save the RAM, no need to define trillion coloured nodes iirc)

Anticheat:
* Various anti-cheat improvements (interact distance, taking bones after death, dropping stuff after death, server-side breath etc)

Fixes:
* Fix >5 year old PlayerSAO deletion bug (yes, finally it is gone, you can join Vanessa's and Co servers without server kicking you out, I checked)
* Do not force deletion of players when mapblock is full
* Fix visual_scale being applied squared for plantlike (no idea what it is, but someone will be interested)
* Block spam messages before calling on_chatmessage callbacks (no more spam on IRC mod I believe)
* Map generation limit related crash-fixes (yes, 2011-2017 crashes at world limit, I remember YOU)

Other:
* Client Side Modding (hard to believe but it is merged, now under heavy improvement)
* Add particle animation, glow (useful for modders)
* Add ping indicators in serverlist (self-explanatory, more green lines the better)
* Allow texture packs to customize the progress bar
* Allow server side occlusion culling (before sending a mapblock to you, server will check if it is visible or not, should help save some bandwidth)
* Minimap cpu usage optimisation (had no fps improvement for me, but cpu usage should go down).
* Guest#### is not autogenerated anymore, use proper name at login (yep, no more thousands of guests on servers, use proper name, it is 2017)
* Support password authentication (for redis database)
* Save metainfo for falling nodes
* Climbing speed increased from 2 to 3 (try ladders)
* Lots of other fixes and improvements

Game::
* More generous meselamp recipe (light all the things!)
* Ladder recipe: Make wooden ladder recipe more generous (climb all the things!)
* Decrease the cost of gunpowder for trails and change TNT recipe (gunpowder trails are much more cheaper now)
* Torches: Reduce light source level from 13 to 12 (this change was needed because of lighting redo in engine, torch was too bright, it is brighter than in 0.4.15).
* Add nodebox mese post light usable as a growlamp (meselamp that looks like a torch)
* Add desert/silver sandstone-related blocks (desert sand and silver sand have new blocks! and they look good)
* Add silver sand blob ore, relocate other blob ores (more silver sand in the world)
* New jungle dirt in jungles
* Papyrus, cactus: Require light level 13 for growth (haters gonna hate)
* Leafdecay: Node timer based implementation, API (node-timer based leafdecay mechanism)
* Leafdecay: Register leafdecay for bush leaves
* Keys and books have tooltips with descriptions
* Tree schematics: Alter jungletree, aspen, pine, appletree (changes trees look a bit)
* Flint & steel sounds: Fix bugs caused by nil position (entire server heared some flint and steel users)
* Screwdriver improvements
* TNT fires are properly removed now (before they spawned forever)
* Add /killme chat command
* Add support for custom bed sounds
* Add creative.is_enabled_for
* Sfinv improvements
* Other fixes and improvements

I've listed only some changes and omitted some I don't fully understand/etc, you can view all changes on minetest/minetest_game github pages.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 21:57

What's with that client-side modding? Does that mean that players now can mod their client and trick the server?

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Sneaking bugfixes!

by Wuzzy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 05:12

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT the official changelog, nor is it EVER intended to replace the official changelog.

A lot of sneaking related bugfixes and improvements have just been merged! https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/5327

• Extremely important bugfix: Sneaking no longer prevents fall damage. Finally! :-)
  • You can't glitch through the ceiling by sneaking anymore
  • You can now actually properly sneak on partial nodes like slabs (instead of floating above)
  • Your jump height is no longer increased by sneaking
  • Sneaking range has been reduced to 0.29 block lengths
  • You can't jump when you're sneaking on a ledge. This implies that the so-called “sneak elevator” or “sneak elevator” does not work anymore

Common misconception:
The sneak glitch is still present (which is intentional); it can be disabled by mod. The sneak glitch is defined as being able to sneak at a ledge when there is only one block of space and thus not enough space for you to walk.
Last edited by Wuzzy on Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

sorcerykid

GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Thu Mar 16, 2017 07:56

Fixerol wrote:Fixes:
* Fix >5 year old PlayerSAO deletion bug (yes, finally it is gone, you can join Vanessa's and Co servers without server kicking you out, I checked)
* Do not force deletion of players when mapblock is full.

A fix that I already had implemented on JT2 back in mid-January, yet I'm told (quite rudely) by one the core devs that my solution is not correct (even though it is entirely correct, and proof is in the fact my server that averages 40-55 players has not crashed once due to this bug in the past 60 days). But, hey what do I know. I've only been programming in C for 25 years.

ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 13:53

Now that's some humor right there, SK!

Has anything been done about the Sadie####s?

Linuxdirk, are you seriously suggesting that the devs would implement a cheat?
Also I'd like to repeat this question - are we able to have custom skins for clients? Without depending on server to have skins-mod?

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 15:52

No Cient-sided modding doesn't allow custom skins. Right now servers can't even send mods to the client, mostly due to the risk of someone finding an exploit. It's still very much a work in progress right now.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 16:58

ABJ wrote:Linuxdirk, are you seriously suggesting that the devs would implement a cheat?

No. I'm seriously asking if this could be possible.

Previous

Return to Feature Discussion