Jump with the mouse wheel!

Spaghetti Developer
GitHub: SpaghettiDeveloper
In-game: Spaghetti Developer

Jump with the mouse wheel!

by Spaghetti Developer » Post

Hi guys. I noticed that you can not set the jump with the mouse wheel! It would be very useful do you not? jump with the mouse wheel makes it more comfortable.

Also the option to automatically skip the blocks as MC PE. Jump with the space key is uncomfortable, I have to set the right CTRL, otherwise they fall fingers :D

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Jump with the mouse wheel!

by Wuzzy » Post

I am not sure if a middle click would be good for jumping, but as an alternative to the space bar it may be OK. The middle click doesn't have an in-game use anyway. So it seems to be a sensible default. But it should not replace the space bar jump by default.

But default controls are actually just a detail question. What we REALLY need here in the long run is a generalization and more customization of Minetest controls.

Two important features are missing:

1) Allowing to remap ALL actions (so that no hardcoded controls such as left click, right click, mouse wheel remain): https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4536
2) Allowing to manually map mouse buttons to an action: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2361

As for automatic jumping: I probably don't need it for myselves, but I clearly understand the benefits in having this feature. It will improve the accessiblity to the game for some, as you already said, the current system can even cause the hand to hurt for some. Minetest may be inaccessible to some for this simple reason.
So I am in full support of this idea. Good controls are very important for a good game.

I think nobody posted a feature request at https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/ for automatic jumping far, so please go ahead and post it there (with a more complete description of what you want exactly).

Spaghetti Developer
GitHub: SpaghettiDeveloper
In-game: Spaghetti Developer

by Spaghetti Developer » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I am not sure if a middle click would be good for jumping, but as an alternative to the space bar it may be OK. The middle click doesn't have an in-game use anyway. So it seems to be a sensible default. But it should not replace the space bar jump by default.

But default controls are actually just a detail question. What we REALLY need here in the long run is a generalization and more customization of Minetest controls.

Two important features are missing:

1) Allowing to remap ALL actions (so that no hardcoded controls such as left click, right click, mouse wheel remain): https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4536
2) Allowing to manually map mouse buttons to an action: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2361

As for automatic jumping: I probably don't need it for myselves, but I clearly understand the benefits in having this feature. It will improve the accessiblity to the game for some, as you already said, the current system can even cause the hand to hurt for some. Minetest may be inaccessible to some for this simple reason.
So I am in full support of this idea. Good controls are very important for a good game.

I think nobody posted a feature request at https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/ for automatic jumping far, so please go ahead and post it there (with a more complete description of what you want exactly).
Thanks Wuzzy, for your comprehensive and clear answer. In fact I meant the possibility to configure the mouse wheel, the automatic jump is useful for Android, as set default option is fine, the important thing is to activate.

I will follow your advice, thank you so much Wuzzy.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

We could have scroll for move forward/back, and middle click for jump. But I'd still rather everything be mappable.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

ABJ wrote:We could have scroll for move forward/back, and middle click for jump. But I'd still rather everything be mappable.
quite the bump ABJ :P

but now seeing this, I think using scroll for the zoom feature might be a nice idea (as an alternative to the Z key)
A Wonderful World

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

I recently bought one of those "gamer mouses", it has two buttons in the left side. I would like to use those buttons to change inventory.
Have a nice day! :D

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

TumeniNodes, what are you trying to say?

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

ABJ wrote:TumeniNodes, what are you trying to say?
TumeniNodes is suggesting to be able to maximize and minimize the in-game zoom (the "zoom" priv when in-game) using the mouse wheel.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

All complaints here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9505

All repeated this many times.
One of the main ways to improve the game and increase its popularity is to MAKE ALL ACTIONS PLAYER CAN DO BINDABLE WITH ANY MOUSE OR KEYBOARD BUTTON.
NO HARDCODED ACTIONS.

Comfortable management — pleased users — popular game.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

MineYoshi wrote:
ABJ wrote:TumeniNodes, what are you trying to say?
TumeniNodes is suggesting to be able to maximize and minimize the in-game zoom (the "zoom" priv when in-game) using the mouse wheel.
Not that.

Also, Sergey is right. Hardcoded things are so bloody annoying!! That is probably the only reason why we can't have player mice and dragons.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

if you press the mouse wheel when crafting, it crafts 10 items at once.
so it does have a use ;)

and personally i don't like the jump with the mouse wheel.
it's hard to press and makes loud noise :P
since i jump around a lot, it would be very uncomfortable.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

ABJ

OFFTOPIC

by ABJ » Post

Where is the zoom code?

MineYoshi

Re: OFFTOPIC

by MineYoshi » Post

ABJ wrote:Where is the zoom code?
http://wiki.minetest.net/Privileges#Built-in_privileges
You can see what is the zoom privilege here.
If you are looking for the source code, i think i do not know where it is to give it to you.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Spaghetti Developer wrote:Hi guys. I noticed that you can not set the jump with the mouse wheel! It would be very useful do you not? jump with the mouse wheel makes it more comfortable.

Also the option to automatically skip the blocks as MC PE. Jump with the space key is uncomfortable, I have to set the right CTRL, otherwise they fall fingers :D
I use my laptop's built-in touchpad and don't have a 3rd mouse button, or scrolling.
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Spaghetti Developer wrote:Hi guys. I noticed that you can not set the jump with the mouse wheel! It would be very useful do you not? jump with the mouse wheel makes it more comfortable.

I use my laptop's built-in touchpad and don't have a 3rd mouse button, or scrolling.
Is it complicated to play like that?

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

MineYoshi wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:

I get along pretty good, I use the (1, 2, 3, 4...) buttons to switch weapons and I can beat girls at PvP. I have a very hard time turning to look around though so I'm bad at soccer and grabbing eggs (Hometown's Easter event). I would only agree to the mouse wheel jumping if you made the space bar work too (make the space bar and the mouse wheel as defaults)
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote: I use my laptop's built-in touchpad and don't have a 3rd mouse button, or scrolling.
I get along pretty good, I use the (1, 2, 3, 4...) buttons to switch weapons and I can beat girls at PvP. I have a very hard time turning to look around though so I'm bad at soccer and grabbing eggs (Hometown's Easter event). I would only agree to the mouse wheel jumping if you made the space bar work too (make the space bar and the mouse wheel as defaults)
Interesting, actually being able to put two keyboard and mouse binds upon an action would be a very great feature too.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

MineYoshi wrote: Interesting, actually being able to put two keyboard and mouse binds upon an action would be a very great feature too.
Zanzlanz does that in MineBlocks