3 things to improve Minetest

Codesound

3 things to improve Minetest

by Codesound » Post

Hi,
As first I wanted to thank everyone for this wonderful game!

- I was wondering if it was possible to increase the gameplay depth (at least 40000):
I disable the fog <f3>,
I increased the depth of field <r>
and maximized (4000) the rendering distance <+ >, but it seems to play in a finished box ... it would be nice to have a much larger rendering distance ... see attached photos (like Minecr...);

- I asked many friends what an indispensable feature that seems to be missing out on this beautiful game, and almost all answered "voice chat" ... I wonder if it was in the developers' to-do list...

I hope it may have been useful (... and did not make a mistake)

R
Attachments
002.png
002.png (264.97 KiB) Viewed 461 times
001.png
001.png (249.42 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Last edited by Codesound on Sat May 13, 2017 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarg

Re: 3 things to improve Minetest

by Nyarg » Post

Voice chat have a hidden trap.
For example SecondLife that have it by default break society experience itself.
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

If you have enabled “Far View” (“R” key), you have infinite rendering distance. The render distance you set with + or - is ignored in this case.

Far View shows everything which Minetest has loaded yet. Stuff which has not been loaded yet will not be rendered. You first have to go near to this section for Minetest to load it. So what you actually need is to increase the loading distance. I have forgotten how to increase that one. xD

I am not so sure about voice chat. I suggest you first try to get a critical mass of users using an external voice chat software, such as Mumble and see how that works out socially.
If it doesn't work out socially, don't even bother adding it to Minetest. :D

Where's the 3rd suggestion?

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

SettingsPage -> ServerAndSingleGame -> Game -> max_block_send_distance
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Far View shows everything which Minetest has loaded yet. Stuff which has not been loaded yet will not be rendered. You first have to go near to this section for Minetest to load it. So what you actually need is to increase the loading distance.
you are right...
but if I set "Viewing range to 20", the game engine "lets me see" ("render") only 20 "cubes" around me (image 001)
when I set "Viewing range to 4000" (or hit <R> button), the view is most large (image 002), but is not big large.... This seems to play in a closed box. I wonder if letting you set values ​​as 40000 could eliminate this problem.
It's bad to see that the level is built before me when I move ... would not it be better if you could move a lot further away? (... I miss something?)
Wuzzy wrote:I am not so sure about voice chat. I suggest you first try to get a critical mass of users using an external voice chat software, such as Mumble and see how that works out socially.
Thanks for this suggestion. I do not know Mumble: I try it....
Wuzzy wrote:Where's the 3rd suggestion?
Was a request to set the screenshots save path, but I found it already exists:

SettingsPage -> Client -> graphic -> Menu -> Screenshot_path .... (image 003) ;-)
Nyarg wrote:SettingsPage -> ServerAndSingleGame -> Game -> max_block_send_distance
Thanks for this: I tryed to set different values (^2), But nothing changes. (They are not practical of all possible video settings in Minetest...)

There is a way to change the Minetest language from Italian to English?
Many Thank for your answers...

R
Attachments
003.png
003.png (51.82 KiB) Viewed 461 times
002.png
002.png (302.7 KiB) Viewed 461 times
001.png
001.png (199.86 KiB) Viewed 461 times

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

Also for most people, a viewing range of ~400 is probably too slow already, it shouldn't be default.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Codesound wrote: There is a way to change the Minetest language from Italian to English?
R
If you want to change Minetest language from Italian to English, you simple can add the following line to your Minetest.conf file:

Code: Select all

language = en
The defined value (in this case the "en") is just the ISO 639-1 code of your language. This line only will work if you defined the value (the ISO 639-1 code) of a supported language, or a language that Minetest is avaible on.
Have a nice day! :D

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

MineYoshi wrote:If you want to change Minetest language from Italian to English, you simple can add the following line to your Minetest.conf file:

Code: Select all
language = en

The defined value (in this case the "en") is just the ISO 639-1 code of your language. This line only will work if you defined the value (the ISO 639-1 code) of a supported language, or a language that Minetest is avaible on.
Many thanks.... My Minetest is in English now... ;-)

R

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I am not so sure about voice chat. I suggest you first try to get a critical mass of users using an external voice chat software, such as Mumble and see how that works out socially.
Beautiful software! Thanks for this, works fine!

kaadmy wrote:Also for most people, a viewing range of ~400 is probably too slow already, it shouldn't be default.

I hope that in the future Minetest versions will give you the chance to set values ​​higher than 4000...

R

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Nyarg wrote:SettingsPage -> ServerAndSingleGame -> Game -> max_block_send_distance
thank you! i was looking for it too!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

cy

by cy » Post

Codesound wrote:- I was wondering if it was possible to increase the gameplay depth (at least 40000):
Short answer: no. Less short answer: no, and it's a bad idea. Long answer:

In the database, node coordinates are stored as a triple of 16 bit signed integers, which means they can go from -31768 to 31768. This makes the database smaller, which is probably a good idea. You could sacrifice one direction for another, say for instance giving only bits for the Y coordinate (up/down) to limit it at -128,128, which lets you use 20 bits for X and Z, giving a massive landscape of -524288 to 524288. I think minecraft does something like that. The decision in minetest is to give every direction 16 bits though, so your depth is always going to be limited to something less than -31768 before the database starts glitching out.

Have you ever dug a mineshaft to -31,000? I went to -20,000 once, digging straight down, and it took days of gameplay, and was excruciatingly boring. I don't like boring games. I like fun games. I can't imagine why you'd want to go below 40,000 because 31,000 is a huge distance, especially for mining downward! Try starting your own world and flying to the bottom of the map. Enable "fast," because you're gonna be waiting quite a while.
- I asked many friends what an indispensable feature that seems to be missing out on this beautiful game, and almost all answered "voice chat" ... I wonder if it was in the developers' to-do list...
With all due respect, you and your friends should go use an awesome open source voice chat program that has nothing to do with minetest. Then you can voice chat while playing minetest all you want, and anything else for that matter.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

another thing to improve minetest: bring back offtopic.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:another thing to improve minetest: bring back offtopic.
I was right, the crap posting was going to transfer to normal topic sections. You're the living proof azekill, you're the living proof...

Anyways, by far the depth of the world is far enough for a comfortable gameplay. I don't really why you would like to go deeper than 31.000 blocks, it's really far. The actual Minetest world space is more higher than the MineCraft's one, i don't see a reason to even increase it.
Have a nice day! :D

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

I'm not going to crap other post.

cy

by cy » Post

Oh wait, you meant like... pixel rendering depth. Not physical block depth. I am so dumb. xD