Mapgen v5 v6 singlenode?

LordStephen77

Mapgen v5 v6 singlenode?

by LordStephen77 » Post

I noticed that the mapgen valleys generate very beautiful maps without floating islands, suspended blocks, and other bugs in the map. Are the maps v5 v6 deprecated right? My idea would be the following.

- Hide maps v5 and v6 from the game menu.

- The V7 mapgen is the most modern and evolved one, it would be nice to rename it.

- The singlenode mapgen what is it for? It does not even create a block! When my pg falls into infinite vacuum when I come into play.

- The fractal mapgen is experimental, not its use but it is particular, I have no idea how to use it.

In conclusion, v5 and v6 are no longer used by anyone (from 0.4.16 and future). Can you edit them to create v7-based worlds? I was thinking about worlds skyblocks ^__^

My curiosity is mine. Hello everybody :D

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

Re: Mapgen v5 v6 singlenode?

by v-rob » Post

Singlenode can be used to make things in the sky like a spaceship or something. I once thought of making a battle arena in the sky once. WorldEdit must be used to make a block to build on.

V6 has different terrain than any other, and some people like it. I, personally, am not one of them. Nothing can be changed in it, though. Biomes, trees, and stuff can't be edited from it. Kind of like a legacy mapgen. So no, it can't be used to make v7 based worlds.

V5 is interesting to build on. Ever tried living on a floating island in survival? It's very fun. Dying is easy, to say the least.

Fractal? I don't see the reason either. It's just kind of cool, I guess. It should be removed.

Hope that answers your question.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Fighting the falsehoods

by Wuzzy » Post

v5 and v6 are NOT “legacy” mapgens!
These mapgens are fully supported and maintained and thus are not any less “valid” selections than v7 or valleys. All mapgens you find in Minetest independently receive updates and bugfixes. V5 and v6 will not be removed.

v5 and v6 are NOT fringe mapgens not used by anyone!
In fact, v6 is still supported in many subgames. Sometimes it is even the only supported mapgen.
It is true that the biomes in v6 are always the same (in theory), but it makes is very easy for subgame makers to get your first map rolling with very little work. This is a very important motivator to keep on. In all the other mapgens, you have custom biome support, but you have to start with no biomes whatsoever before you get anything useful as a result.

V5 is even my favourite mapgen, especially because it creates these extreme and blobby landscapes. I'd say it even has a devout “cult following” among us Minetesters. I will send an army of dungeon masters after anyone who dares to remove v5. :D
Seriously, you should at least try out these mapgens before you want to remove them.
Support for both mapgens will NOT be dropped for a very long time to come.

You can NOT edit v5 and v6 worlds to magically become v7 worlds
Sorry, this is simply not possible. At least not in a trivial fashion. I have no freaking idea why you even want that. But there is a simple workaround: Just create a new world. :P

Floating islands and suspended blocks are NOT “bugs in the mapgen”
Floating islands are common in v5. They are never going to be “fixed” because it is considered to be a defining characteristing of this mapgen. It makes perfect for this mapgen anyway, given its overall weirdness.

By the way, real big floating islands are present in mapgen v7, but only if you activate it in an advanced setting first.

fractal is NOT “experimental”!
Just because you don't know how to use it does not make it experimental or broken. :P
You have to click through the “advanced settings” menu to see all the various options (especially selecting a different fractal). But yeah, the use for this mapgen is very … “esoterical” to say the least. The subgame or mod which can be seriously be played on this needs to be invented first. But the mapgen is stable enough that I don't think it will be removed anytime soon.

singlenode
Okay, singlenode is pretty useless on its own even in Creative Mode, especially because you don't even have a starter block or platform to build on, which means you can't build at all. The mod “The Origin” places the first block for you (it sucks that this is even neccessary).

Apart from that, singlenode is mostly useful for Lua-based mapgens (read: mods).

The name is just completely stupid. It does not mean the obvious, that it placed a single node (=block) below spawn. No, it means that the entire world is made out of a single type of node (which is air by default). Stupid name is stupid.

Stupid mapgen names
I fully agree that some of the mapgen names are horrible and need to be changed. All the “v” mapgen need to be given a “speaking name”, and singlenode should be called “Empty”.

Educate yourself
Please, read all of this before making more bad suggestions ( :P ):

http://wiki.minetest.net/Map_generator
http://wiki.minetest.net/Biomes
http://wiki.minetest.net/Map_generator_features
http://wiki.minetest.net/Map_Generator_Evolution

Thanks for your time.

duane
GitHub: duane-r

Re: Fighting the falsehoods

by duane » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Floating islands and suspended blocks are NOT “bugs in the mapgen”
Nit-pick: Floating islands are a bug in Valleys. Yes, you can still find them despite Gael de Sailly's (and my) efforts. Using 3D noise pretty much guarantees you'll get floating stuff no matter how hard you try not to. I can't speak for the intent of the other mapgen's designers, but I'd be surprised if they could eliminate them all, even if they wanted to.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

the_raven_262
GitHub: theraven262
IRC: [Discord unfortunately] corvus262

by the_raven_262 » Post

My view of the mapgens:
V7 --> fun
v6 --> realism
v5 --> 2*fun + some realism
valleys --> valleys
fractal --> advanced math
flat --> building simulator
singlenode --> "i like to make laggy lua mapgens" starter pack

Oh, and yes, some deep water exploration in v5:
Ordinary looks of v6:
A jungle lake in v7:

I just want to say that these mapgens are radically different from each other, none of them shall ever be removed.
Last edited by the_raven_262 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Post

v-rob - Thank you for your kind reply. You've confirmed all my doubts. Thank you very much.

Wuzzy - Your answers are always magnificent and very detailed. Thanks to your help I understand many things about this project. Now I have all the information I need. The v6 is used on many MT servers that I've noticed for some time. The V5 I want to test in depth. I apologize :D after your explanation on mapgen v5 is clearer to me. The fractal is actually very experimental. Thanks Wuzzy.

Duane - Thanks for your kind reply. You are one of the project's historical developers (I think) so your information for me is very precious. I've been following MT since 2012, and for a year I've been researching the project in order to understand its basic structure. Thank you so much my friend.

ps. Irrlicht is my greatest mystery at the moment.

the_raven_262 - Thank you for your answer. I use the mapgen valleys and flat. I think they are the most suitable mapgings to make a good building (I love building a lot). Thanks so much.

ps. Very nice screenshots. I did not mean to remove mapgen, because variety is a good thing in MT. After your explanations, I solved all my doubts. Thank you.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

> - The fractal mapgen is experimental, not its use but it is particular, I have no idea how to use it.

It's just a big island with an unrealistic shape, use it like any other mapgen.

> But yeah, the use for this mapgen is very … “esoterical” to say the least. The subgame or mod which can be seriously be played on this needs to be invented first.

Not really, it may be an odd shape but it is essentially just a big island that you use like any other mapgen. It doesn't need a new mod or subgame. Hmmmm insisted it was 'playable' (unlike our original math mapgens) and that is what i did.

I'm surprised that no-one has adjusted the parameters of fractal mapgen yet, you don't have to understand the maths of fractals to adjust them. The point is that there are 18 fractal types and each can generate an infinite variety of forms by altering the parameters. Then you can scale, shift or squash the shape to create an island, or a floating island, or a fractal planet etc.

Many players like to have unusual mapgens to explore. The fractal mapgens of Freeminer have been very popular.
Fractals create amazing structures and i can't really understand anyone who would not be interested in being able to explore such a structure.

////////////

Singlenode is primarily for Lua mods that create an entirely new mapgen, or need an empty space to create some kind of structure. It is not primarily for 'skyblock' type worlds.

> It does not mean the obvious, that it placed a single node (=block) below spawn.

That's not the obvious, 'air' is a node and 'ignore' (ungenerated void) is too. If people think that air is not a node that's their misunderstanding.

> it means that the entire world is made out of a single type of node (which is air by default).

Exactly, it is a correct and precise name as long as you realise that 'air' is a node. We do not rename mapgens to an inaccurate name just for newbies who do not understand.

////////////

> Using 3D noise pretty much guarantees you'll get floating stuff no matter how hard you try not to. I can't speak for the intent of the other mapgen's designers, but I'd be surprised if they could eliminate them all, even if they wanted to.

Correct.