360-degree signs

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

360-degree signs

by v-rob » Post

I recently searched through all of the old pre-release mods for Minetest, and there was a lot, and when I say a lot, there were a LOT. Anyway, I saw found signs in some of the versions that faced the direction you placed them. They are very interesting. They should have support added to them.

Pic: http://imgur.com/a/qEDRy

I would give a Minetest version containing the signs, but I can't upload an attachment for some reason. I don't think it would help much, anyway.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Joseph16
In-game: smb3

Re: 360-degree signs

by Joseph16 » Post

That's so cool! Idk why they changed it. Also in 0.4.8 items dropped on the ground face you instead of turning they stare at you no matter what way you look
Testin' mines since 1989

the_raven_262
GitHub: theraven262
IRC: [Discord unfortunately] corvus262

by the_raven_262 » Post

That is a sprite, thats why it was changed.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Cool idea. Wait, if you have a pic, doesn't that mean it's already there? (Or is that MineCr*ft?)

the_raven_262
GitHub: theraven262
IRC: [Discord unfortunately] corvus262

by the_raven_262 » Post

BBmine wrote:Cool idea. Wait, if you have a pic, doesn't that mean it's already there? (Or is that MineCr*ft?)
It was removed in some older version.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

BBmine wrote:Cool idea. Wait, if you have a pic, doesn't that mean it's already there? (Or is that MineCr*ft?)
No. It's a super old pre-release (a 0.1. something version). I can't attach it for some reason.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

@v-rob mcl2 viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16407&hilit=mineclone2 has 3d 360-degree signs (see page 21and 23 post's down)
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

(Please, everyone ignore spam (and massive necro) post above - if it's still there by the time you read this. And since it's already been necro'd, I figure I may as well add my own comment..)

I'm not sure how this was done at the time of the mod v-rob refers to - probably a separate mesh for each rotation, or maybe an entity. I don't have the source code available. Do you still have it, v-rob? (I find that unlikely)

This is possible in modern Minetest versions with a degrotate node and a library like Display Modpack. However, degrotate for mesh nodes was only implemented in 2021 by numzero.

What Mineclone2 has done since 2017, as Stix pointed out - this is the post referred to - is use different nodes for different rotations of the sign, and those nodes use different meshes, which are just rotations of the source model. Advtrains does a similar thing with a a lot of signals since it too predates the degrotate for meshes feature.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Must have been a typo in the original post; this couldn't have been a mod since Minetest didn't support mods at all at that point, and I'm certain I knew this at the time of posting. Should probably read "prerelease versions". To be further accurate, "pre-GitHub versions" would be even better since they were released after a fashion. Hence, these signs were just implemented in the C++. (Although, the source for those early versions is still floating around somewhere...)

Interesting piece of trivia: you could place a block on top of a sign such that the sign was hidden inside the block. This suggests that signs were actually implemented as an entity-like of thing, similar to the rats in the same versions. By using obj:set_yaw() and player:get_look_horizontal(), you could make a similar entity-based sign in most versions of Minetest, although the modern degrotate solution is clearly superior.