[shaders]Bloom + Better Light

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

[shaders]Bloom + Better Light

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

It would be very cool if bloom and light system could be added!

bloom

light

Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

Re: [shaders]Bloom + Better Light

by kaadmy » Post

Um, you're allowed to add bloom and "light". It's easy peasy, you should be able to figure out how to do it in a year or so.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

DIY.
Have a nice day! :D

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Okay, i go open a GLSL manual right now. I feel dumb :)

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Are you still working on this?
I test mines.

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

Yeah he is, he's been *literally* glued to his seat in his first year of GLSL training :P
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

kaadmy wrote:Yeah he is, he's been *literally* glued to his seat in his first year of GLSL training :P
So someone put actual glue on his seat?

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

One year is just for the introductory session alone :P
A Wonderful World

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

xD i did try something, but I didn't try hard enough! And i'm not glued to my seat!... wait, what is that sticky thing?!!

no actually, i don't really care anymore, cause kaadmy is already doing it. :D

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Oh yeah, that's right.
I test mines.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Cracking jokes in an important topic like this implies that you guys don't care about the well-being of Minetest nor its future. Now, bloom is a good feature if it is subtle and doesn't make things too bright/too blurry (like it does in GZDoom.) As for better lighting, I think adding color support to light in general is the first and most important step to take. Before you immediately hate on that idea (like the developers have been doing for a long time,) consider that GZDoom, Open Arena, and even various Nintendo 64 games have that feature within them, so I think that Minetest should as well. Color is life. Color is beauty.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Color is full. Colorful, you get it?

No, in reality, I think bloom could be easely added to minetest, as the light color (irrlicht has direct support for those)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:(irrlicht has direct support for those)
Irrlicht also has support for shadows and reflections but we’ll likely never see any of those in Minetest.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
azekill_DIABLO wrote:(irrlicht has direct support for those)
Irrlicht also has support for shadows and reflections but we’ll likely never see any of those in Minetest.
Why? shadow for B3D would be amazing! For the reflection, i agree it should be optional, but the water, demn! it would be stunning!

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:For the reflection, i agree it should be optional, but the water, demn! it would be stunning!
Yes, reflections are debatable. But light not being only a uniform brightness level but havoing a direction and variable colors would be awesome (imagine intensive red glowing from lava and yellow-ish flickering torch lights for example.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2EnqK7YBVg

But likely won’t happen either because “needs engine change”.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:(imagine intensive red glowing from lava and yellow-ish flickering torch lights for example.)
I imagine... I imagine... Beautiful chnage we need to do.

ThomasMonroe
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared

by ThomasMonroe » Post

I agree, but we shouldn't shove off these awesome ideas because of a "needed engine change". Make them a goal to get to, slowly adjust the engine to make the transition easier. No need for a MASSIVE engine change just to add this one feature, take it slow and plan out what exactly needs to be done.

Edit: I have also noticed that some people don't like Minetest bcs of the graphics, they say that Minecraft(yes I said Minecraft) is waaaay better, so they switch to it because of the (excuse me for saying so c55) highschool project level graphics.
I don't make messes, I just, er...disturb the local entropy!

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Hmm... You're true :D I don't think the dev will listen to you at all, but I support you.

Warrior_4_Christ
GitHub: Warrior-4-Christ
In-game: Warrior_4_Christ

by Warrior_4_Christ » Post

I saw this working in a YouTube video. I know it exists, just not where. I would love to see this in the main release.
For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. -- John 3:16 KJV
____
| [] []|
| _>/

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

ThomasMonroe wrote:Edit: I have also noticed that some people don't like Minetest bcs of the graphics, they say that Minecraft(yes I said Minecraft) is waaaay better, so they switch to it because of the (excuse me for saying so c55) highschool project level graphics.
Yup. Minecraft is obviously better in many ways, both in graphics and optimization, it has hundreds of mods, textures and so on and so forth. But complaining about "high school project level graphics" makes no sense since Minecraft was bought for over 2 bn $ and Minetest is developed thanks to the passion of enthusiasts. As such it provides all that would make me interested in any voxel sandbox - and the same is true as I suppose about many others who still play this game.

The advantage of Minetest is that every bit of the code, of its mods, games created for this engine bears a mark of true fun - not of a hard work done just for money. If anybody feels that MT graphics doesn't match those of Minecraft - and wants to play something like Minecraft - then should buy Minecraft. That's all :)
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

ThomasMonroe
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared

by ThomasMonroe » Post

voxelproof wrote:
Yup. Minecraft is obviously better in many ways, both in graphics and optimization, it has hundreds of mods, textures and so on and so forth. But complaining about "high school project level graphics" makes no sense since Minecraft was bought for over 2 bn $ and Minetest is developed thanks to the passion of enthusiasts. As such it provides all that would make me interested in any voxel sandbox - and the same is true as I suppose about many others who still play this game.

The advantage of Minetest is that every bit of the code, of its mods, games created for this engine bears a mark of true fun - not of a hard work done just for money. If anybody feels that MT graphics doesn't match those of Minecraft - and wants to play something like Minecraft - then should buy Minecraft. That's all :)
I agree whole heartedly, but at some level we are trying to "sell" something that is free, and alot of people go by the rule "you get what you pay for".
I don't make messes, I just, er...disturb the local entropy!

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

ThomasMonroe wrote:I agree whole heartedly, but at some level we are trying to "sell" something that is free, and alot of people go by the rule "you get what you pay for".
That's true, but for me another and not so obvious advantage of Minetest is that it's not a massive multiplayer (maybe because I play it singleplayer only); more like a niche experience for a connoiseur of retro gaming than a, er... galere of fashion victims ;) And don't forget that upgrading Minetest to make it a match of Minecraft would mean that this project would attract undesired interest of the Big Corpo. I'd rather not try to imagine how market wars are waged, but as far as I know life nobody yet prevailed in a fight against big money...

All in all, gaining a considerable share of the market by Minetest is improbable and surely will never happen for Minecraft became a religion already that is not allowing conversions :D

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

I'm not playing minetest for the graphics.
I'm playing it for the fun. For the ability to create my own projects, my own worlds, without the use of java, on linux, windows, even the tinkerboard.
I think games are like girlfriends, the ones you get for the graphics are the ones who expire first.
A man much wiser than me once said: "go away, you are bothering me"

burli

by burli » Post

Warrior_4_Christ wrote:I saw this working in a YouTube video. I know it exists, just not where. I would love to see this in the main release.
https://www.youtube.com/user/BlockMenChannel/videos

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Vapalus wrote:I'm not playing minetest for the graphics.
I'm playing it for the fun. For the ability to create my own projects, my own worlds, without the use of java, on linux, windows, even the tinkerboard.
Probably you're right. This applies to voxel sandboxes in the sense that people play them not for visuals, but for simple rules offering infinite possibilities. It's all about freedom: of expression, creation, exploration, different modes of gaming, customization.

But it's not that visuals don't matter. They do and the popularity of different texture packs proves it, so does that of great variety of mods. I've recently discovered really astounding mountain range in valleys mapgen, so much resembling real landscape (putting aside voxellization) that hiking it became a very pleasant and engaging experience. The shape of the world's terrain combined with proper textures offers extremely high levels of immersion.
I think games are like girlfriends, the ones you get for the graphics are the ones who expire first.
Brilliant :)