+1 button

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

+1 button

by ABJ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 17:52

I've read complaints about +1 post. So I recommend this.
 

User avatar
Andrey01
Member
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 15:18
Location: Russia, Moscow
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: +1 button

by Andrey01 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 18:46

Hmm... i don`t understand what you created the topic for. About '+1' number nobody forbad to use). This is standard note of something good.
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: +1 button

by ABJ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 18:48

Well, some very influential people seem to feel that +1 posts are shitposting. And I'm working on the assumption that they're right.
 

User avatar
MineYoshi
Member
 
Posts: 5366
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:20

Re: +1 button

by MineYoshi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 19:51

ABJ wrote:Well, some very influential people seem to feel that +1 posts are shitposting. And I'm working on the assumption that they're right.

"This isn't Facebook or Reddit".
My english is astonishing.
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: +1 button

by ABJ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 09:57

But we have to show our support! And then asking people to waste bytes writing filler is nonsensical - we NEED a +1 button.
 

User avatar
BBmine
Member
 
Posts: 3474
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 22:51
Location: USA
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: +1 button

by BBmine » Mon Jul 10, 2017 13:51

Most other forums have "+1" kind of buttons. They even have "-1" buttons. Therefore, I think this forum needs it too.
 

User avatar
duane
Member
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:11
Location: Oklahoma City
GitHub: duane-r

Re: +1 button

by duane » Mon Jul 10, 2017 13:55

+1


No, seriously, I'd like this feature a lot. I was always taught not to post off-topic (such as saying "good job" on the screenshot thread without also posting a screenshot), so I'm uncomfortable making a post to just say "+1".
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7472
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: +1 button

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Jul 10, 2017 17:05

the forum really miss a like button, maybe not a +1 but a little thumbs up or a heart... +1 :D
 

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
 
Posts: 5684
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy
 

User avatar
kaeza
Moderator
 
Posts: 2162
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 05:00
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

Re: +1 button

by kaeza » Mon Jul 10, 2017 22:26

duane wrote:+1


No, seriously, I'd like this feature a lot. I was always taught not to post off-topic (such as saying "good job" on the screenshot thread without also posting a screenshot), so I'm uncomfortable making a post to just say "+1".

Exactly this.

Sometimes you may feel the need to simply say "thank you" or "nice" without bumping or "spamming" the thread or the user's inbox.

Let the kids compete for who has the most "likes" if they want. I don't care about that, but it's annoying that topics get buried down the active topics list because somebody went on a "+1" or "xD" rampage.

P.S: I have 2154 posts, ph33r me.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: +1 button

by ABJ » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:10

When we want to express our feelings about a thing, without wasting time, energy, and Celeron's sacred bytes, people complain that we're spamming and shitposting and merely trying to increase our post count, and, most outrageously, that we. Are/ Wasting. Celeron's. What we're trying to save! They are not content with making short and concise posts, and then when we lengthen it, God knows if they won't start to complain under another name. I hate to say anything against these people, as most of them turn out to be hardworking devs and mods merely to increase their work stress, and this is why we need this feature, NOW! This is a forum, and we need to express our opinions, and I'm not letting anything stand in the way of that, if I can help it.
 

User avatar
BBmine
Member
 
Posts: 3474
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 22:51
Location: USA
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: +1 button

by BBmine » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:33

ABJ wrote:When we want to express our feelings about a thing, without wasting time, energy, and Celeron's sacred bytes, people complain that we're spamming and shitposting and merely trying to increase our post count, and, most outrageously, that we. Are/ Wasting. Celeron's. What we're trying to save! They are not content with making short and concise posts, and then when we lengthen it, God knows if they won't start to complain under another name. I hate to say anything against these people, as most of them turn out to be hardworking devs and mods merely to increase their work stress, and this is why we need this feature, NOW! This is a forum, and we need to express our opinions, and I'm not letting anything stand in the way of that, if I can help it.

+1
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7472
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: +1 button

by azekill_DIABLO » Tue Jul 11, 2017 13:02

BBmine wrote:
ABJ wrote:When we want to express our feelings about a thing, without wasting time, energy, and Celeron's sacred bytes, people complain that we're spamming and shitposting and merely trying to increase our post count, and, most outrageously, that we. Are/ Wasting. Celeron's. What we're trying to save! They are not content with making short and concise posts, and then when we lengthen it, God knows if they won't start to complain under another name. I hate to say anything against these people, as most of them turn out to be hardworking devs and mods merely to increase their work stress, and this is why we need this feature, NOW! This is a forum, and we need to express our opinions, and I'm not letting anything stand in the way of that, if I can help it.

+1

Demn we really need a button.
 

Sokomine
Member
 
Posts: 3765
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 17:31
GitHub: Sokomine

Re: +1 button

by Sokomine » Thu Jul 13, 2017 17:05

Such a button might be a very good idea. Beeing able to thank other posters for something (i.e. a nice screenshot or a long, thoughtful posting, or a nice mod, or running a server, or whatever) would be very nice. I'm afraid it won't really reduce spam, and there might be forum users out there who'll approve of spam postings, but in general it ought to help a bit.
A list of my mods can be found here.
 

User avatar
BBmine
Member
 
Posts: 3474
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 22:51
Location: USA
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: +1 button

by BBmine » Thu Jul 13, 2017 19:22

Sokomine wrote:Such a button might be a very good idea. Beeing able to thank other posters for something (i.e. a nice screenshot or a long, thoughtful posting, or a nice mod, or running a server, or whatever) would be very nice. I'm afraid it won't really reduce spam, and there might be forum users out there who'll approve of spam postings, but in general it ought to help a bit.

+1
Now see, if we had that feature, I woudn't've said +1, I would've just click the +1 button.
 

User avatar
MineYoshi
Member
 
Posts: 5366
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:20

Re: +1 button

by MineYoshi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 21:30

The admins are not giving one, really, if there's people out there who doesn't care about a "+1 button" are the admins.
Cry like little babies, they won't hear you.
My english is astonishing.
 

User avatar
Gael de Sailly
Member
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 17:01
Location: Lyon, France
GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly Ginkgoo

Re: +1 button

by Gael de Sailly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 07:03

I don't support it. +1/-1 systems are always biased because too many people acts like sheep, pushing "+1" when something has many "+1", and "-1" when it has many "-1", without even knowing why. That's what happens in Facebook and Twitter, and one of the numerous reasons why I'm not on neither of the two. It doesn't show the real popularity of something. I've seen similar YouTube videos that have totally different ratings.
Another reason : If there aren't +1/-1, that will encourage people to say why they agree, or not, which is much more interesting than a note based on the quantity of people.

I know it's very trendy, some people might consider this forum as an "inferior" one because it has no +1/-1, but sometimes we should think a little about it before adding things just because they are popular at the moment.
Contributor of Minetest and OpenStreetMap, on Ubuntu 16.04. ~ ~ ~ Meet me on MinetestForFun, VanessaE's Basic, Capture the Flag and Inside the Box.
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: +1 button

by ABJ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 09:26

Sometimes I hear complaints about wasting C55's bytes, other times I hear complaints about too short posts. But we must show our support, and the reason why we agree may not always need to be stated. Also, Gael de Sailly, I think you're overthinking. To my knowledge, we create discussion boards not to read people's minds, but to provide an environment where they can express what we can reasonably judge to be their opinion. Think of all the scientific studies that are done on people - do the scientists read minds? No, but they judge.
 

User avatar
AspireMint
Member
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:59
Location: Stuck at spawn
GitHub: AspireMint
IRC: AspireMint
In-game: AspireMint

Re: +1 button

by AspireMint » Sat Jul 15, 2017 09:53

I agree with Gael de Sailly's post.
Maybe add [heart] button for threads, might be usefull for server threads.
Sokomine wrote:--snip--
I'm afraid it won't really reduce spam, and there might be forum users out there who'll approve of spam postings
--snip--

+1/-1 = more power for spammers, maybe add [spam] button, so we can easily report spammers/spam post.
For now im using own script for blocking big/annoying signatures and some users (spammers/trolls).
No more spam when im on PC. Yay.
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7472
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: +1 button

by ABJ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:17

AspireMint, can you read this post?

Spammers could always create sympathizer alts to flood the forum with "justice for xxx" crap. Anyway, I never intended this button to have any connection with moderation of the post.
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7472
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO
 

User avatar
MineYoshi
Member
 
Posts: 5366
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:20

Re: +1 button

by MineYoshi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 17:56

I was thinking recently, isn't this a message board to start? This "PhpBB" thing is supposed to be a system where you can talk freely using only "text", kind of much likely a discussion where everybody gives their opinion and etc... This isn't supposed to be something likely "Facebook" where someone says something and you decide to agree or disagree through the use of "punctuation buttons"; this is a message board.

I'm starting to understand why the admins still don't give one about a "punctuation sytem".
My english is astonishing.
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: +1 button

by ABJ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 18:10

All right. But please tell the devs not to complain about bytes. Since we gonna have to take up more of them to make "reasonable" posts.

If you're asking, not posting is out of the question.
 

User avatar
MineYoshi
Member
 
Posts: 5366
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:20

Re: +1 button

by MineYoshi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 18:33

ABJ wrote:All right. But please tell the devs not to complain about bytes. Since we gonna have to take up more of them to make "reasonable" posts.

If you're asking, not posting is out of the question.

I suppose that the best way to recalcitrate against this tyrant admins is to make long posts so far, when longer more bites takes and more bandwidth is taken, so you'd know. When the posts are being long the admins don't have a single chance of complaining about known as "bites" since we're doing that thing they define as "good content" in this message board, and then they just have to shut up; simply as that.

I just want to emphasize the correct use of a message board since many of you are seeking for options that are out of the purpose and reason of "being" of a message board for making people don't "shitpost"; simply hiding the post count won't do a single thing rather than just making users don't compete for the "bigger post count", but the "shitposting" still will be there. The best solution so far is to start to educate your posters and make strict rules about what you'd want and you don't want in this forum so everybody knows in what rules they can play by, this is a message board where everybody apports their opinion about certain topic and discuss about it.
My english is astonishing.
 

Next

Return to Feature Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests