Hide post counts on forum

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Hide post counts on forum

by Byakuren » Mon Jul 10, 2017 17:17

Contentless posts meant just to increase post count add noise to forum threads. I see two ways of dealing with it:
  • Prohibit and penalize such posts
  • Hide post counts so that there is no incentive to boost it
The first solution would be difficult to work since it would require judging what posts have worth, and might cause punishment of posters that didn't really mean to inflate their post count. There is a difference between somebody who posts "+1 looks amazing mod!" on every mod, and somebody who just posts it on the ones they really like. The first person's posts are meaningless because they say the same thing on every mod, while the second person actually shows appreciation for some mods in particular.

The downside of the second solution would be that it would be harder to identify long-time contributors. But I think that the Minetest community is small enough that good contributors can be recognized from their presence and quality of posts. Maybe in the future this issue could be reexamined if we a big enough increase in users to make a difference.

So please hide post counts basically everywhere they might be visible, including forum posts and user profiles.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Hide post counts on forum

by rubenwardy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 22:03

I don't think this would actually solve the spam issue, it may help slightly but they're still going to shitpost regardless

sorcerykid

GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Mon Jul 10, 2017 22:51

rubenwardy wrote:I don't think this would actually solve the spam issue, it may help slightly but they're still going to shitpost regardless

Such is true, but it would be a very easy fix nonetheless: literally commenting out one line of PHP code. If someone is really curious about the post count of a specific user, they can still click through to their profile.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 23:34

If you want people to post good content and useful stuff, it's a duty implementing a rating system instead of the "post" count system. If your answers are good you simply give a "1 up" that goes to your ranking count, and that ranking count will represent you in leaderboards where the most useful members to community are listed. Since this people have certain case of anxiety for being "number 1" that can make they give good answers and become useful to your precious community.

Simple as that. You're lazy to do such system though. Maybe you can try to implement this thing instead of doing it yourselves if it isn't going to take so much of your divine time: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2259046 Do whatever you want.
Happy new Year 2020: let's all aim finally for a clear vision of what we want to make of Minetest!

Byakuren

by Byakuren » Tue Jul 11, 2017 15:48

It's possible for pandering to up votes to produce unhelpful posts. See: some subreddits.

That said, removing the post count display will help even if +1s for posts are not added.

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 09:52

This won't help at all, excessive posters will continue, and you also lose the sense of who has contributed a lot.
The best solution is to remove offtopic, which has already been half-done (and i hope will be completed).

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:04

MineYoshi wrote:If you want people to post good content and useful stuff, it's a duty implementing a rating system instead of the "post" count system.

it would be a sort of "karma" or "reputation" on the forum!

BBmine

GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:50

paramat wrote:This won't help at all, excessive posters will continue, and you also lose the sense of who has contributed a lot.
The best solution is to remove offtopic, which has already been half-done (and i hope will be completed).

Actually, offtopic doesn't count posts anymore, sadly.

azekill_DIABLO wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:If you want people to post good content and useful stuff, it's a duty implementing a rating system instead of the "post" count system.

it would be a sort of "karma" or "reputation" on the forum!

Oh, like what my forum has xD

sorcerykid

GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Wed Jul 12, 2017 22:43

paramat wrote:This won't help at all, excessive posters will continue, and you also lose the sense of who has contributed a lot.

I don't think that post counts necessarily give any impression of the value of each user's contributions to the forum. Quantity is not synonymous with quality after all. I've been on the forums for nearly a year, and only have 300 posts to my name, simply because I prefer to engage in productive discussions and to make announcements in my server thread, not to chatter.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43

Demn, i am the perfect example of guy who chats too much. i'm gonna make my own little community :)

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly Ginkgoo

by Gael de Sailly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 07:16

azekill_DIABLO wrote:it would be a sort of "karma" or "reputation" on the forum!

That could at the contrary increase spam.

I agree with Byakuren. Says a mod looks amazing when he/she really likes it isn't undesirable posting.

Byakuren wrote:The downside of the second solution would be that it would be harder to identify long-time contributors. But I think that the Minetest community is small enough that good contributors can be recognized from their presence and quality of posts. Maybe in the future this issue could be reexamined if we a big enough increase in users to make a difference.

We can hide posts on the topic pages but show it on members profiles.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

ABJ

Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Byakuren

by Byakuren » Sat Jul 15, 2017 19:24

ABJ: replied to that topic.

Return to Feature Discussion