mods, games library ingame ?

houlala

mods, games library ingame ?

by houlala » Post

Is there something sheduled in the future allowing easy installations for all mods with a manager ingame ?

As synaptic on debian* (automatic dependecies/conflicts resolutions) or even pypi with python.
Therefore, that will require a server.
With the difference that each mod should be authenticated by severals persons accredited.
e.g. if a mod is pushed on the library by anyone, it will must be validated by x (3, 5, more) validators before to be in public mods (downloadable by players/servers admins).

I know this must be very difficult to implement (oraganization, security, etc), but that will be really useful.

Sorry for my dreadful english...
Last edited by houlala on Sun Nov 19, 2017 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

Reedych
GitHub: SlackCoyote
In-game: SlackCoyote

Re: mods, games library ingame ?

by Reedych » Post

I think it would be good to make a moderated repository with mods.

Stop, good idea.
Slackware64 14.2, MT 0.4.16. My best mod.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

There used to be a mod store inside Minetest, however it was removed due to politics. The person that was working on the website for the mod store left the community and no longer maintained it. It was also a massive pain to set up so was eventually dropped completely.

I personally think this is one of the biggest current problems in Minetest, so I'd like to see it done. However everytime it is there's a massive bikeshedding contest about how it should work.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

houlala

by houlala » Post

Ok, thanks for your precisions, It's a great shame.

But i don't understand 'bikeshedding", translation in my native language doesn't mean anything.
What means this expression ?

SonosFuer
GitHub: apachano
IRC: SonosFuer
In-game: SonosFuer

by SonosFuer » Post

I've been working on a project to revive this idea but I have hit a standstill on progress. It ends up being a lot of learning for me and the internet tends to be unhelpful in certain scenarios. Hopefully I can finish it and get the database running, from there it just requires a desktop script or modified launcher for management.

As far as "bikeshedding" I have no clue what he means either, something like arguing maybe?
Working on a content database for minetest mods, servers, and etc Check it out and give me feedback at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18137

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Bikeshedding is basically arguing/discussing endlessly about trivial parts of a project (such as the background color of a website) yet failing to address the big issue (actually building the website). That's how I understand it at least.
Back from the dead!

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Or simply one new tab on main game interface that help the user to manage the mods?

This is a beautiful idea!!!

many players are just players and not programmers: this news would really help a lot of minetest to spread. Also you really save a lot of time on updates ... I imagine a simple "update" button...

thanks for this post........... THANKS

R

hajo

by hajo » Post

Evergreen wrote:Bikeshedding is basically arguing/discussing endlessly about trivial parts of a project
See also wiktionary.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Evergreen wrote:Bikeshedding is basically arguing/discussing endlessly about trivial parts of a project (such as the background color of a website) ...
If the background of a website is a trivial part of the website you're doing it wrong!