I don't know
17%
I don't care, I build in creative mode
2%

Total votes: 58

Vapalus

Re: Do you like the crafting grid?

by Vapalus » Post

I don't know why people are so focused on shaped crafting.
There is so many ways to implement new things in mods.
A man much wiser than me once said: "go away, you are bothering me"

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

It’s a problem of imagination.

binshaden
In-game: binshaden

by binshaden » Post

I don't really care about the grid, but I don't like the large number of clicks required to craft lots of things at once.

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

unified inventory and unified inventory plus really make the crafting grid more enjoyable
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

JTE wrote: Ideally, I would replace the crafting system entirely with a recipe book. You've got ten wood in your inventory, just press a button to turn it into a boat. Or a door. Or a chair.
Selecting the receipe would still be required. And there might be special machines for more complex items.
JTE wrote: Might even turn it into a gameplay element where learning or trading for new recipes is a part of the crafting system and you only know how to make some basic tools to start with. Encourages commerce that way too -- You don't know how to craft something you want? Either buy one from someone else's shop or trade an extra recipe you don't need to someone else who has the one you're looking for.
I'd love to have AdventureTest work that way: Start with a book, visit a village, learn a new craft receipe from a local mob and store it in your book. A bit like craftsmen did travel around and learn in the past.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Grid also has a problem in minetest game: it serves as additional inventory storage, that is uncool (opens up can of worms).
Last edited by Fixer on Wed Apr 11, 2018 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

Fixerol wrote:Grid also has a problem in minetest game: it serves as additional inventory storage, that is uncool.
What's wrong with this?
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

My mod is released here, WIP: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19908
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Byakuren wrote:
Fixerol wrote:Grid also has a problem in minetest game: it serves as additional inventory storage, that is uncool.
What's wrong with this?
It is kinda weird, it combines both storage and crafting, I can't clearly express what is wrong with it from gameplay standpoint tbh, it just feels like extended inventory to me, minecraft approach was better from survival standpoint, they had crafting table where work was performed, in minetest game work is performed inside your bag where you hold things. This is easier, you don't loose anything, and work is performed on the fly, maybe we should explore more ways to craft (aka terraria and other unexplored stuffs).

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

Fixerol wrote: minecraft approach was better from survival standpoint, they had crafting table where work was performed, in minetest game work is performed inside your bag where you hold things.
but in minecraft leaving the table drops items it should store them why shouldn't a table be able to have items placed on it?
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Some mc mods provide this functionality.

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

Fixerol wrote:Some mc mods provide this functionality.
like the table from tinkers construct

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

I think that the crafting could be improved in some aspects. Firstly, I'd like to have more outputs of one recipe. Not in the way that the player would choose the output. The player would receive all these outputs. For example a leaf block could be disassembled to twigs and leaves. It can be currently done by leaving the other outputs in the crafting grid but it would be good if it could be provided in a better way. Secondly, the crafting recipe might require some fuel. For example crafting stuff from iron could require some heat to melt it. This is in fact similar to an alloy furnace.

I like the idea of bigger crafting grids. I invented my own craft recipes for bigger crafting tables. A 4×4 workbench requires 9 3×3 workbenches and a 5×5 workbench requires 16 4×4 workbenches. Getting a 4×4 workbench is not so hard if there is enough wood around you but getting a 5×5 workbench is a bit challenging. I made some tweaks of existing mods to use larger recipes.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Its been about a year since this thread was used, but I have somehow ended up in it and have been reading some of these posts and the poll.

Personally, I gave up the crafting grid and now use this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17588

I think its more enjoyable than recipe shape memorization.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Post

I answered "yes", I am happy there are alternatives, but shaped recipes is a nice feature IMO. I think however that it would be much more enjoyable if the UI was handled client-side and did not lag that much.