New farming

Mr. Xenon

New farming

by Mr. Xenon » Post

MTG must contain all the basic elements and then be extended with the use of the mods. One of the main features of MTG are the mapgen, the biomes, and the vegetation of the map. Many feel the need to add new elements for farming, at the moment they can only grow wheat, and cotton.

I noticed that in 0.5 dev you are implementing a new biome, and marine vegetation. It would be nice to have palm trees in the desert, and new seeds to grow things like carrots, berries, and other simple things to get new items for food and fuel.

Obviously many of you have already thought about this, but I felt the need to remember it.

MTG 0.5.0 will be a more complete basis for making sub-games and additional mods, and farming is an almost non-existent element in 0.4.16.

I experimented with a small mod farming called "agricolture", removing the cakes, and the tomatoes, the rest of the plants is really well done, simple with some really beautiful textures and perfectly integrated with MTG vanilla. With some minor changes it can be the ideal solution.

Obviously this is my opinion, I would just be curious to know if the farming will be enhanced in 0.5.0 because I find it a very important feature that adds potential to the project.

Thank you all.

voxelproof

Re: New farming

by voxelproof » Post

Mr. Xenon wrote:MTG must contain all the basic elements and then be extended with the use of the mods. One of the main features of MTG are the mapgen, the biomes, and the vegetation of the map. Many feel the need to add new elements for farming, at the moment they can only grow wheat, and cotton.
I think that the general idea of the MTG is to keep it as simple as possible and any extensions are left to mods and subgames. I agree with this attitude, it's practical and it gives MT advantage over for example Minecraft in my opinion (which has a more complex basic game which in turn determines the overall character of mods).

However I do agree that some improvement of the MTG is necessary, but I wouldn't focus on the features, but rather on the structure of the gameplay itself. IMO this is not the complexity that makes a game good, it's proper balance of its elements, moderate difficulty and the suspense it provides to the player.

I think that the basic level of survival (which should be adherent to the farming aspect of the game to make it more logically coherent) which could be possibly viewed as a reference for the future MTG development is well implemented in the simple roguelike game "Reap": https://managore.itch.io/reap To make people really motivated to grow crops you should first introduce such basic survival parameters as hunger and tiredness.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

Re: New farming

by Pyrollo » Post

I always feel strange with the default cotton and wheat. These are the only plants in MT that you can find seeds in another plant (!!).

I think it would be much better to have a few cotton plants in jungle and a few wheat in plains instead of having to get seeds from grass (like in any other farming mods).
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]