[Request] Custom lighting gradients

QudTheCat
In-game: QudTheCat

[Request] Custom lighting gradients

by QudTheCat » Post

I'm guessing lighting in Minetest for normal nodes is done the same way as Minecraft where each vertex of a face has a lighting value calculated and then that is turned into a color (white for full light, and black for none) which is multiplied with whatever texture color is already there.

What I'm requesting is that there is some way for mods to specify a certain gradient for vertex colors for specific nodes

e.g. a gradient between white and blue would cause a node to be normal colored in full light and blue in complete darkness

Why I want this: I'm working on a surrealish styled subgame and thought it would be cool if nodes changed color based on light level.

This system would need to be also implemented for wield items, entities, and non-standard nodes (by just multpling texture colors by the according color on the lighting gradient)

Disclaimer: I may not know what I'm talking about and have no idea how difficult this would be to do

QudTheCat
In-game: QudTheCat

Re: [Request] Custom lighting gradients

by QudTheCat » Post

I found a video showing the kind of effect in action (better than I can explain):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2qoZm20lTM

By gradient I actually didn't mean gradient but actually meant lightmap(which would usually be a gradient)

It should be noted while the video shows changing how lighting effects all nodes/blocks that there would ideally be a way only to change the lightmap for specific nodes. I also want to point out that the wield item changes based on light. Maybe one solution would to be have a default specifiable lightmap for all nodes, entities, players, etc. and the ability to specify special ones for certain nodes. Light flicker, day/night vs artificial light and other things shown in the video would also be cool.

If the request I'm making is stupid, impractical, too difficult to do, or needs more clarification, please tell me.

MineYoshi

Re: [Request] Custom lighting gradients

by MineYoshi » Post

It's a good idea for graphical effects _ that the light from a torch could be red or yellow instead of plain white really could add pretty good effects to game.

Have you considered opening an Issue on the github page from the Minetest project to receive at least certain opinion from the developers? On github they will pay you more attention than in this forum, I suppose.
Have a nice day! :D