Truly infinite worlds (poll)

Would you like to have truly infinite worlds in Minetest?

Yes
51%
No
31%
That depends/difficult to say
18%

Total votes : 55

voxelproof

Re: Truly infinite worlds (poll)

by voxelproof » Thu Sep 27, 2018 15:13

I've realized recently that this thread better qualifies for "Minetest-related projects" than "Feature discussion" for I'm pretty sure that this sort of enlargement of MT worlds will never happen in official development course and, well, I'll be happy enough if I see the 5.0 version released at all. Maybe this is due to the autumn blues, but I have a strange feeling that MT is just a shadow of MC and is set to be like that :)

That said, I return to the Eden world. I've found the second super-tall mountain of remarkable beauty, Mount Neverest and because I have a presentiment of the third huge massif existing within this realm, which if found will be named, of course, Mount Minetest, the search will probably take some time. I'll let you know what I have determined in that matter. So long, guys :)
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Wed Oct 03, 2018 13:53

Hi, guys, I'm back alive. Mount Minetest found! 8D

cy

by cy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 04:51

I'd like to point out that with the current way of storing coordinates, if all you stored was the coordinates and 16 bit node type (no entities, no metadata) and you filled an entire map of -32000 to 32000 in all three axes, that would add up to 2,097 terabytes of data.
Code: Select all
(2^16)^3 * (2+2*3)
It takes a long time to sift through 2 petabytes, no matter what algorithm you use. With 32 bit coordinates (-2.1 billion, to 2.1 billion) the largest size of your map file would be around one million yottabytes.

Most worlds fit inside -2000,2000 each way, and even then they're really spread out on the edges. Try running to the end of the map sometime. Heck, try flying noclip to the bottom of the map sometime. 32,000 blocks is a long way.

Only think I've ever considered is sacrificing 1 byte of depth to add a nibble each to the map's width and breadth, like minecraft does. That way maximum depth would be -256, and maximum width/breadth would be 1 million. And that's not so much for the benefit of being able to travel a million blocks west, but because falling for 32,000 blocks is utterly terrifying!

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Thu Dec 27, 2018 20:26

cy wrote:I'd like to point out that with the current way of storing coordinates, if all you stored was the coordinates and 16 bit node type (no entities, no metadata) and you filled an entire map of -32000 to 32000 in all three axes, that would add up to 2,097 terabytes of data.
Code: Select all
(2^16)^3 * (2+2*3)
It takes a long time to sift through 2 petabytes, no matter what algorithm you use.

As far as data needed for making a map of the world's surface is concerned, this amount would be probably confined to less than 30 GB (I've checked this covering almost whole Eden world - the map.sqlite is 13 GB, made by flying along y meridians every 2000 nodes with viewing range 600).

Previous

Return to Feature Discussion