Berries for bushes.

BlueTangs Rock

Berries for bushes.

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

There should be some variant of bushes in the game's overworld that contains berries.

The berries on those bushes could be either be obtained by interacting with the bush's leaves with the same button used to interact with things like furnaces and doors, punching the lead blocks once, or just breaking the leaves, that could be something to decide about, I dunno.

Once you obtain the berries, there is a small chance of getting a poisonous berry instead of a regular like, harmless one, similar to how potatoes in MineCraft have a slight chance of being a poisonous potato.

The regular berry could be consumed to heal a small amount of health (or hunger with the mod enabled), or could be cooked in a furnace (maybe as a crafted bowl of a few berries being cooked) to heal significantly more health.

The poisonous berry could be consumed, but like consuming red mushrooms, it causes some damage (but if the hunger mod enabled, it could still replenish some hunger).

The regular and poisonous berries could also be used to make certain dyes.

To farm berries, there could either be a berry bush sapling, or prehaps there could be a way to make berry seeds, and plant them on tilled dirt.

That's all I could really think up for berries, while still trying to keep it simple. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. :)
Look at that, a signiture box! To bad I have nothing to put in i-... Wait...

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: Berries for bushes.

by TumeniNodes » Post

There has been some discussion on this but it is low priority.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/2043

Feel free to join the conversation.
Better yet, feel free to work on some options and put in a PR

Opening issues is one thing, opening a PR with some substantial code is another, and better :)
A Wonderful World

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:There has been some discussion on this but it is low priority.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/2043

Feel free to join the conversation.
Better yet, feel free to work on some options and put in a PR

Opening issues is one thing, opening a PR with some substantial code is another, and better :)
Thanks, I'll make sure to check GitHub later. :)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Maybe you'll like the bushes mod that's part of VanessaEs plantlife mod. If you dig those bushes, you'll get berries. The bush will remain standing and turn into a berry-less version. After some time it'll grow new berries. In order to harvest a bush, dig it with a shovel. Sometimes digging it with a shovel will give you two bushes. The berries can also be used for pies.
A list of my mods can be found here.

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

Sokomine wrote:Maybe you'll like the bushes mod that's part of VanessaEs plantlife mod. If you dig those bushes, you'll get berries. The bush will remain standing and turn into a berry-less version. After some time it'll grow new berries. In order to harvest a bush, dig it with a shovel. Sometimes digging it with a shovel will give you two bushes.
The berries can also be used for pies.

I experianced that mod before on Gundul's Jungle Server(shout out to him btw. :) ), though those bushes don't include the benefits that the default MineTest bushes have, like being a source of wood in biomes usually lacking in trees, and a source for decorative leaves.

An ideal berry bush for the default game would probably be a variant of the existing bushes, but with the benefit of berries growing from it, allowing a food source, or for other uses (if the berries that the developers possibly add would have uses beyond consumption).

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

It should be quite easy to do this with a separate mod. I'd also look at modifying the bush schematics to randomly generate one or two berry nodes in each bush, like apples in trees (AFAIK there's no easy way to re-generate the berries without replanting the entire bush though).

random_geek
GitHub: random-geek
In-game: Techy5 random_geek

by random_geek » Post

'Tis certainly an interesting idea. I might experiment with this.

Edit: I submitted a PR