Overwriting deafult MT Game settings

voxelproof

Overwriting deafult MT Game settings

by voxelproof » Post

My question is: is it possible to temporarily overwrite default MT Game's physics parameters by a mod? I think it is generally possible but I'm not sure if it doesn't need changes in MT core code.

The point is that mods like "Hanggliders" use default settings for in-game character's movement which, if changed, greatly improve the reality and immersion of the gameplay. But it also means that each time a player changes the world he must also change that certain parameter, which is very troublesome and greatly impractical. What's more, this particular mod enables two clearly different styles of playing, depending on mod parameters and this particular global one dealing with physics of the player's movement, which could be implemented as two separate mods, if only such possibility for overwriting global physics for the time of using them was possible.

More general question is -- is there a possibility to make MT Game use general settings from the mods in the first place before using global settings tuned in the main menu? This feature as far as I know hasn't been discussed yet and that's a pity cause it's obvious for me that such solution would enable much greater variety of particuar worlds stored in the same MT directory, thus much more fun and less monotony. As it is now MT Game seems to be tailored for players which use one world only (or just a few) and doesn't care about their diversity.

A good reason for such improvement is also making building in creative mode more enjoyable by bounding each world devoted to a distinct project with a specific texture pack. In my opinion assumption that a builder choses one "best" texture pack for all his creations is obviously false. There're already a few very good tps for Minetest, but for example the project I'm working on now looks great in Good Morning Craft but definitely not in John Smith albeit the latter one is a professional, perfect and artistically elaborated masterpiece.

Another example of this problem is using "connected glass" setting -- it's useful in some types of buildings while in others it's deffinitely out of place. The same goes with the height of clouds, transparency of water and so on, and so forth.

What do you think?.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: Overwriting deafult MT Game settings

by texmex » Post

For your first question, if I understand it correctly, it’s most certainly possible. That is, if you’re thinking of player physics attributes such as gravity, speed, accelleration and so on. Check out simple_potions for a good demo of what can be done. Don’t forget to add player_monoids and playereffects as those are hard dependencies.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

texmex wrote:For your first question, if I understand it correctly, it’s most certainly possible. That is, if you’re thinking of player physics attributes such as gravity, speed, accelleration and so on. Check out simple_potions for a good demo of what can be done. Don’t forget to add player_monoids and playereffects as those are hard dependencies.
Thanks!

texmex

by texmex » Post

Are you going to modify the hang glider mod? :)

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

texmex wrote:Are you going to modify the hang glider mod? :)
Well, as far as flying is concerned I've had already plenty of joy from Piezo's wonderful mod. Yes, I am thinking about it, but modding is not my priority now. First I'd like to let some fresh air into the building part of the community :)

Some improvements however are begging to be made in this mod. Setting speed of walking to 8 gives it (with the little tweaking I've made) a huge boost in reality of experience (one can try it even in standard valleys -- you don't need very high mountains to fly for quite long) but when the glider is unwielded making through any forest is rather difficult when you bump to the trees over and over again.

The simplest example of the issue I've highlighted in this thread is the significant discrepancy between two basic modes of playing different MT games, one that is some kind of survival/crafting and the other which is creative.

When you are in creative and strive to build something more than just a makeshift wooden house, cave shelter or even simple castle, you really don't want to change the day time every 10 minutes, so one should obviously set time_speed to 0. But the same affects all other games, so when a player wants to take some rest from tedious chore of creating huge monumental buildings in fighting zombies and the like in singleplayer he has to change this parameter again. This won't work :) Eventually most feel forced to decide how they want to use Minetest. Well, I do understand that the main focus is on the online gaming, but some care about solitary MT fans which appreciate the huge variety of gaming styles which Minetest allows would be very welcome as well :))

kestral
GitHub: kestral246

by kestral » Post

I'm actually experimenting with modifying the hangglider code.

Texmex's comments are interesting because just this morning I added the sprint mod and discovered that it was messing with the hangglider flying speed. I was figuring that player_monoids would be part of the solution, so I'll definitely take a look at simple_potions to see what's involved.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Yes, you should always use a ”middleware” mod like player_monoids when modifying player physics, otherwise mods that sets physics as raw values will forever compete. Player_monoids is easy to add, I’ll have a look at it for you if you can’t figure it out.