Move Stones (suggestions)

prof

GitHub: prof
IRC: prof
In-game: prof

by prof » Mon Dec 03, 2018 00:03

I wish to point out what I consider to be a flaw in Mese Move Stones.

In testing, I've noticed that a Move Stone travel is not consistent. It is like mixing American- and British-driving sides based upon compass heading. Moving North-South it applies Right handed American-driving rules. Moving East-West it applies Left handed British-driving rules. This is a flaw.

One way this makes things more difficult is that a Move Stone can't be made to easily travel around a wire circuit as it will always have to cut across the wire during transitions from N-S to E-W and visa versa. This should be unnecessary if it followed consistent travel rules (either British or American -- it doesn't matter).

The second thing I wish to point out which makes Move Stone movement around a course more difficult, is how it handles corners. I was looking over the code and it seems to handle transition from North-to-West easily but fails when it hits the West-to-South corner. The same goes for South-to-East (which works well) but fails when it reaches East-to-North corner. The reason for this is in the code. It just happens that testing these conditions is immediately preceded by the other course. So if it happens to be traveling North (which satisfies this condition) it also executes the West conditional code and so satisfies that -- thus making a successful turn. The same is true of the other direction. It currently happens to work simply because the conditional statements are above the other.

One shouldn't rely upon this type of "success". One should test all conditions before applying the new course. A success for North shouldn't immediately result in a North course until it also tests for East or West success too (immediately ahead of it -- such as a wire in front of it). Same true for all compass headings.

If a wire is in the path, check that too. Perhaps that becomes the new course.

--prof

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

prof

GitHub: prof
IRC: prof
In-game: prof

Re: Move Stones (suggestions)

by prof » Mon Dec 03, 2018 00:42

Thanks. I will repost it in the link you provided.

Return to Feature Discussion