New feature ideas

uCrafter21
In-game: uCrafter21

New feature ideas

by uCrafter21 » Post

I have an idea for those, who can't code! (Like me...)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

There should be an addon, where everyone could make his own animation cycles! (walk, jump, climb, sit, etc...)
You would only need the addon and the mod to load the animation packs!
How cool and easy could be that?

Skulls
In-game: Skulls

Re: New feature ideas

by Skulls » Post

I think this is similar to how Minecraft does it. For Minetest you might first create a mesh (wield item) and then script the animations per step using attachments (neck bone connected to the head bone, etc). Depending on your server step things could be kind of jerky but I bet that if it was popular the developers would look at adding some engine support to handle "proper" animations. Making it work for some types like humanoids would be work, making it generic for non head-torso-arms-legs things would be a *lot* more work.

Getting the animations looking good would be a challenge and probably a lot easier in Blender than in Lua. But you get the advantage of anyone being able to animate stuff directly in Minetest by tweaking scripts so a much lower entry threshold. For blocky / pixelated models this probably would be okay but there is no replacing a talented animator and a good tool.

Cool? Absolutely. Easy? Not really.