Liquid Density

Hume2

GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Liquid Density

by Hume2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 13:26

Currently, only liquid viscosity is implemented, but what about density?

It should be impossible to dive in lava because it's too dense. A fireproof human would float on lava without the ability of sinking down. If there was a mod implementing oil, it would be impossible to float on oil because it's too sparse. A human would sink down without the ability of swimming back up.

The density could be represented as a float. Water and river water would have 1 (i.e. 1000 kg/m³) and lava would have 2.5. Default would be 1. Entities could also have custom densities while 1 would be default.

EDIT: Also entities floating on water (like boats) could just have a density smaller than 1, which would make the boats mod lighter.
Last edited by Hume2 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Festus1965

In-game: Thomas Explorer

Re: Liquid Density

by Festus1965 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 23:09

Haha,
"should not die in Lava", or on the lava
Can I laugh loud out ? I was myself on the Vulcan Etna on Italia/Sicily 4 times, one during a greater eruption where the lava went until 2 km in from of the camping place I sand the scientist stayed.
Depending on the kind of lava maybe when very fast run, but mainly death !
The "reality" in minetest is ok, it IS killing.
Server: still up, see some gamer - but there is a new 1st important thread "climate change" for me. Something I know since 1992 - had seen the melting glacier in Switzerland.

Hume2

by Hume2 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 15:26

Do you know, what is the difference between density and viscosity?

Of course that a player dies on lava in a short time but someone might use healing items to stay longer. Or there could be an item that makes the player resistant against lava. Also keep in mind that lava is not the only liquid which has a different density, someone could implement oil, mercury or other liquids.

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Feb 18, 2019 16:16

Hume2 wrote:Or there could be an item that makes the player resistant against lava.

Lava-diving with full crystal armor on the Xanandu server is quite entertaining. The locals - some lava flarns - love to come by to "greet" the visiting player.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Hume2

by Hume2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 06:13

I thought another usage. I plan making a mod that adds cleavers, a plant that slows down your movement. I can implement it as a liquid but this makes me able to climb it up. If it had density 0, it would be no longer possible. This could be also used for cobwebs in Wuzzy's MineClone 2 game.

EDIT: Also entities floating on water (like boats) could just have a density smaller than 1, which would make the boats mod lighter.

yw05

IRC: yw05
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:49

Hume2 wrote:EDIT: Also entities floating on water (like boats) could just have a density smaller than 1, which would make the boats mod lighter.

I think the air inside the boat should also be considered to allow large ships - metal is much more dense than water. This should be calculated instead of simply comparing the density of boat and water.
Huh, why am I still using Minetest 4.x?

Hume2

by Hume2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 15:00

yw05 wrote:I think the air inside the boat should also be considered to allow large ships - metal is much more dense than water. This should be calculated instead of simply comparing the density of boat and water.

The average density counts here. And it could vary according to the situation.

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

Return to Feature Discussion