More low-tech machines for default game?

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

More low-tech machines for default game?

by PolySaken » Post

I know that a lot of people will instantly be opposed to this, but hear me out.

The default game could have something like wooden/stone gears and axles for automating things like making bread or extracting ore.

Waterwheels could be used to transfer effective rotation to axles, which could then be used to turn a grindstone for getting more dough from wheat or crushing ore lumps to get extra metals.

There could be a machine which shoots carts along the tracks really fast, or boats that have a paddlewheel on the back.

These things all fit with the style of the default game, and would be a great addition in my opinion.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: More low-tech machines for default game?

by texmex » Post

On the contrary, I’m instantly in favor of this!

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

While the idea is great, (Shamelessplughere: lib_tools), I will admit that any machine, larger than a single node, or entity, would be far more complicated to pull off.

Think, whether you use mesecons, tubelib, elepower, pipeworks, factory, hoppers, fluid_lib/melterns, gears3d, or any other "power" transfer or "eye candy" mod, the real trick is in coding a machine with all the relevant parts, (ie, nodes and entities) and then building a very specific lua schematic that you then check against to ensure all the parts are there. This gets into some heady coding. I'm thinking API.

On a smaller scale, having nodes/entities, that act in meaningful ways, that are also compatible with the above mentioned mods, which for the most part are compatible with each other, which also provide usefulness in a world, which are usable by both players and NPCs, is most likely the best way to accomplish this idea. Hence the lib_tools mod, with its design goals of "no formspecs", immersive interaction, and "eye candy". There is more to this mod currently not released. Please bear with me on this, I'll get the code out soon.

I'm in favor of this, don't get me wrong. I have been thinking along this line for some time now. It adds gameplay value, which is the ultimate goal of any mod. It's just that the complexity of the code mechanics will require more than a single coder, probably a small group who are willing to ensure the compatibility, as well as, the functionality, of any machines.

Game ideas, mod ideas, gameplay mechanics and in-world machine ideas, all come to mind from this single image I made yesterday.
Spoiler
Shad
Attachments
screenshot_20190309_114951_2.jpg
screenshot_20190309_114951_2.jpg (267.16 KiB) Viewed 179 times

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Gears and axles can be pretty complex machines. A mod based on those would be very nice to have. But I don't think it belongs into MTG. MTG is - for me - a base for modding and a basic game for getting started.

If you want some simple "machines" for breadmaking, perhaps you ought to take a look at my cottages mod. It comes with a threshing floor, a handmill and a well/pump.

Mods that are libraries and provide functionality for other mods would be highly welcomed inside MTG (at least on my part - others may have diffrent opinions).
A list of my mods can be found here.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Sokomine wrote:Gears and axles can be pretty complex machines. A mod based on those would be very nice to have. But I don't think it belongs into MTG. MTG is - for me - a base for modding and a basic game for getting started.

If you want some simple "machines" for breadmaking, perhaps you ought to take a look at my cottages mod. It comes with a threshing floor, a handmill and a well/pump.

Mods that are libraries and provide functionality for other mods would be highly welcomed inside MTG (at least on my part - others may have diffrent opinions).
Cottages is one of my favorite mods, thankyou for making it.
In regard to your input: perhaps the axle-based effective rotation system could be a library mod in and of itself?
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.