Sprinting should be in minetest by default

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Sprinting should be in minetest_game!!

by Wuzzy » Post

Hmm now that it's about Minetest (not Minetest Game), I can actually agree. It would be good if this would be an engine thing because it would fix the biggest problem with all sprinting mods: Lag.

The big question is, of course, how the sprinting physics should work.

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

I think fast_move is fine for sprinting, and I don't see why most servers have the priv off. It is very fast, but that could be made configurable.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Fast move is an admin feature. It cannot replace a gameplay functionality.

Menche

by Menche » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:Fast move is an admin feature. It cannot replace a gameplay functionality.
why?

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Don’t act like an idiot. You’re smarter than that.

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

Linuxdirk that was..really rude.

fast_move in fact is the best thing we've got for sprinting right now, because:
  • The sprinting is client side, so no delay between pressing E and starting to sprint
    The speed is configurable by the server
    It's easily controllable by granting/revoking the privilege
Admins can easily have a /speed command to similar because they don't need it instantly to make jumps or run away from things.

Menche

by Menche » Post

I'm pretty sure the client decides on the speed. Maybe the normal fast_move speed could be slowed down so it feels more like sprinting than rocket travel, and enable the current high speed if the player also has the fly priv?

I remember a client patch from a while ago that had 'J' cycle through several different speeds of fast_move, instead of just toggling on/off. What if 'J' cycled from walk to sprint (only if the player has fast_move) to super speed (only if the player has fast_move and fly) and back?

The problem with client side sprinting is that it'd be nice to have some way for the modding API to interact with it, for example to add a stamina system. Using fast_move for sprinting worked great in Voxelands (a currently defunct game based on minetest 0.3.3), because we have no modding API :P

___
IRC: ___
In-game: ___

by ___ » Post

This would be an amazing addition!
networking

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

I'm pretty sure the client decides on the speed.
Nope, the server sets the speed. Now the client could patch the code and override it but that can happen no matter what.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Sprinting should be in minetest by default

by rubenwardy » Post

I support sprinting being in minetest game
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

PizzaIstGeil1
In-game: PizzaIstGeil1

by PizzaIstGeil1 » Post

Joseph16 wrote:For ever since minetest has been a thing, we have never had sprinting in the default minetest game. I think this is lame, as sprinting is such a core requirement of gaming. There are many mods out there that add sprinting, but it's hard to decide which one. Also, only some are compatible with the many hunger mods. We need a standard sprinting function in minetest. It's also lame how we have to use the special key to run in the mods. I have my special key bounds to CTRL right now. We need sprinting in the game. As a built in core function. That's my sales pitch.
I agree

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I'm more skeptical when it comes adding sprinting into my game. I tried it for a bit but ultimately have done without it. I like to use mobs in my game and adding sprint really nullifies any risk in dealing with them through fighting as you can always turn and sprint away. It also makes evading pursuing mobs trivial.

In my server, players can still avoid mobs and head away from them just not so easily as if there was sprint. But how does sprinting enhance the game-play here besides adding player convenience? The walk speed is already pretty quick, and there are minecarts for longer distance travel. Also, just saying sprinting should be present because its in other games isn't really an argument for using it in every single game.

Nontheless, I think it would be a good feature to be supported by the engine or default mtg. But please let it be an optional feature. Perhaps something that can be toggled in minetest.conf.

I do like how some sprint mods drain the hunger bar quickly. But this doesn't really matter when food is available in endless amounts. For example, to me, it would be more interesting if sprinting causes exhaustion effects after being used. Thus, a player would have the high cost of being more vulnerable shortly after using their sprint card. This could cause the sprinting to backfire ironically if the player comes across another dangerous situation.

Adding sprint as a player function really gives the player a powerful feature that can ironically make things less interesting. Most servers and games I've seen already use a sprint mod. I'm not really trying to stop people from using sprint. But there is something to be said about having limits, vulnerability, and risk being present in scenarios for players to heighten tension and fun.

A parallel example: I'm not a fan of giving players /sethome and /home chat command functions. I find its mostly used just before being killed to cheaply avoid the consequences of dying. It can be used to simply warp back home instead of dealing with being lost in a cave. It removes a lot of tension and challenge from some of the most unique parts of the game.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft