Minetest 5.1 is coming out soon, and still no mouse binds

jas
IRC: Freenode

Minetest 5.1 is coming out soon, and still no mouse binds

by jas » Post

Minetest 5.1 will be out soon. This game is at least eight years old, and still we don't have mouse button binds.

I'm hoping the feature will get added eventually. Maybe after 5.1, the Minetest developers will consider adding it.

jas

Re: Minetest 5.1 is coming out soon, and still no mouse bind

by jas » Post

There has existed a mouse bind PR, in various states, for two years. ClobberXD has adopted it, but it lacks support from core devs, whoever those are.

It is unlikely that it will get added before freeze, I'll grant, but it really needs to be added after 5.1 is released.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Mouse binds are supported by core devs, it is a great idea and probably supported by all core devs, and we have been 'considering adding' it for years. Please do not confuse 'support' with 'approval for merge', that gives the wrong impression of core devs rejecting the feature.

If a feature is delayed the usual reason (which applies to this too) is because we are unpaid volunteers with busy lives, overwhelmed by lots of good contributions, and have not been able to find time to review and test.
There are only 4 or 5 active core devs currently, most have full time jobs or full time education.

runs

by runs » Post

paramat wrote:Mouse binds are supported by core devs, it is a great idea and probably supported by all core devs, and we have been 'considering adding' it for years. Please do not confuse 'support' with 'approval for merge', that gives the wrong impression of core devs rejecting the feature.

If a feature is delayed the usual reason (which applies to this too) is because we are unpaid volunteers with busy lives, overwhelmed by lots of good contributions, and have not been able to find time to review and test.
There are only 4 or 5 active core devs currently, most have full time jobs or full time education.
The Google Summer of Code way?...

jas

by jas » Post

I'm not sure how bounties work, but I have $50 USD in a "mouse binds" fund.