Use SuperTuxKart's Irrlicht fork for Minetest?

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

Re: Use SuperTuxKart's Irrlicht fork for Minetest?

by PolySaken » Post

hex wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:35
emoji do not qualify as any sort of language or script.
Yes they do. Pictographic systems were the first type of written language.

hex wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:35
The images aren't even rendered consistently between vendors.
Neither are any other part of unicode, because fonts are a thing.

Just because something is new(ish) doesn't mean it's bad. The extra time to render is negligible with modern computer technology. Also, unicode does have colored blocks? Watchu on about?
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

runs

by runs » Post

It is not about emoticons, guys/girls, but give support to the Minetest japanese/chinese/etc. friends that cannot chat in its own language.

Emetchi
GitHub: FinnRules
In-game: Emetchi or FinnRules

by Emetchi » Post

I think support for non-English character sets is a feature we should strive for, but I also think hex is right about how stupid emojis are. Moving beyond their arguments though, I think emojis look cheap and corny in general. One thing Minetest is hurting for, in my opinion, is smooth and clean visual stylings, ala MC. Emojis would take away from that pretty dramatically.
Hey, a signature, how quaint.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

FinnRules wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 06:39
I think support for non-English character sets is a feature we should strive for, but I also think hex is right about how stupid emojis are. Moving beyond their arguments though, I think emojis look cheap and corny in general. One thing Minetest is hurting for, in my opinion, is smooth and clean visual stylings, ala MC. Emojis would take away from that pretty dramatically.
emoticons look different depending on the platform. there's no reason they can't look smooth and clean. Take a look at discord's ones for example.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

FinnRules wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 06:39
I think emojis look cheap and corny in general.
To me it's not much about the emojis, but about Unicode. Proper and thorough Unicode support should be the goal of everything worked on regarding text input. If Unicode is fully supported then having emojis is just a matter of support by the font that s set in the client.

Emetchi

by Emetchi » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 08:21
emoticons look different depending on the platform. there's no reason they can't look smooth and clean. Take a look at discord's ones for example.
Linuxdirk wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16
To me it's not much about the emojis, but about Unicode. Proper and thorough Unicode support should be the goal of everything worked on regarding text input. If Unicode is fully supported then having emojis is just a matter of support by the font that s set in the client.
I do think that if emojis are a sacrifice that must be made for unicode, so be it. I think the game and community would benefit greatly by allowing as many people as possible to chat. That being said, I would say there is no way to design emojis that fit a consistent 16*16 aesthetic, or blocky in general (or at least it represents a significant and rather unneeded undertaking). How do you render a lobster in the Minetest style language (whatever that language may be moving forward)? How about 20 or so trains? Not to mention the infinite can of worms that is the choice of face colors (ASCII faces sidestep this issue wonderfully). And, not at all meaning to be bombast or ignore any other use cases, but for what use eventually? So a few people who have memorized the Unicode code and punch it into their numpad can have a laugh? So someone can avoid the pain of having to type out "Eggplant" when writing a sign? I'm interested what others can think to do with it, but to me emojis seems like an unfortunate downside of unicode or at least a feature most will not care at all about.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

FinnRules wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 02:57
How do you render a lobster in the Minetest style language (whatever that language may be moving forward)? How about 20 or so trains? Not to mention the infinite can of worms that is the choice of face colors (ASCII faces sidestep this issue wonderfully).
That’s a job for the operating system’s emoji font, and not Minetest’s job. Minetest should just support it properly.

Emetchi

by Emetchi » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:22
FinnRules wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 02:57
How do you render a lobster in the Minetest style language (whatever that language may be moving forward)? How about 20 or so trains? Not to mention the infinite can of worms that is the choice of face colors (ASCII faces sidestep this issue wonderfully).
That’s a job for the operating system’s emoji font, and not Minetest’s job. Minetest should just support it properly.
In that case there would be no way to enforce style, as others have said. Maybe there could be a config option for servers to disable it if they so wish.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

FinnRules wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 03:35
In that case there would be no way to enforce style, as others have said. Maybe there could be a config option for servers to disable it if they so wish.
No, why should servers (or clients) block the use of specific fonts for certain Unicode points?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

You would only filter out emojis from the chat. I don't think it's worth providing an option for this, you can do it using a mod if you care that much
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

chaosomnium

by chaosomnium » Post

+1 to the idea of doing something with the STK irrlicht fork and irrlichtmt

if new shaders/lighting methods are implemented they should probably be optional settings

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

chaosomnium wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 07:54
if new shaders/lighting methods are implemented they should probably be optional settings
Useful new features (ie. dynamic lighting, user-based shaders, real shadows, reflections, etc.) should be opt-out instead opt-in.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:28
chaosomnium wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 07:54
Useful new features (ie. dynamic lighting, user-based shaders, real shadows, reflections, etc.) should be opt-out instead opt-in.
in and ideal situtation you would not need to . the engine would optimumize the settings for best performance depending on your system as was done with GZdoom engine . this was achieved by opting into a survey via the engine allowing user data to be analyzed .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

There's basically no point in trying to integrate Antarctica at this point. Hecks has already deleted a huge portion of Irrlicht and plans on continuing. I'm deleting the GUI. Even if hecks disappeared forever today, I believe that the trend will continue to move towards deleting Irrlicht completely and essentially running raw OpenGL in Minetest for any rendering we need.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

v-rob wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 18:29
I believe that the trend will continue to move towards deleting Irrlicht completely and essentially running raw OpenGL in Minetest for any rendering we need.
This is by far the most perfect solution!

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

v-rob wrote:
There's basically no point in trying to integrate Antarctica at this point. Hecks has already deleted a huge portion of Irrlicht and plans on continuing. I'm deleting the GUI. Even if hecks disappeared forever today, I believe that the trend will continue to move towards deleting Irrlicht completely and essentially running raw OpenGL in Minetest for any rendering we need.
The lower level the engine, the better I think it will be for attracting open source contributors, so I'm glad Minetest is growing out of Irrlicht.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

v-rob wrote:
It sounds a bit precarious to tie into one rendering engine particularly. Why not try Vulkan?
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 02:36
It sounds a bit precarious to tie into one rendering engine particularly. Why not try Vulkan?
Simple: Not all video cards support Vulkan. Nearly every video card under the sun, though, supports early versions of OpenGL. Despite things like Apple "deprecating" OpenGL, it's really unlikely that OpenGL will cease to work. It's really the most logical choice of the low-level rendering APIs, since the others are proprietary and tied to a single platform and/or aren't supported well enough on lower-end hardware, a necessity for Minetest.

In addition, transitioning from Irrlicht to OpenGL is probably a lot harder than transitioning from OpenGL to Vulkan or supporting both simultaneously. All in all, transitioning to OpenGL will be quite beneficial.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass