GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

Re: Irrlicht has been forked! IrrlichtMt created

by v-rob » Post

Walker wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 20:59
v-rob wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 17:41
[...] We will probably add very few, if any, fancy new features to Irrlicht [...]
so ... no rgb lightnight, no shaders, raytracing, light from the direction of the sun and all the good stuff ? -.-
I'm getting a bit out of my field since I don't know a lot about rendering (that is, modern hardware accelerated rendering; I actually know quite a bit about software rendering like Quake or Doom); however, I think a large portion of fancy graphics are already possible without Irrlicht changes, but just aren't taken advantage of. For instance, colored lighting only needs Minetest changes. Directional lighting from the sun is already partially possible, and I think that only a few Irrlicht changes are necessary to make it work better (but I'm no expert on that). Shaders are already possible, but we don't have many people who know how to use them, and no formalized API for them.

My main point is that we won't go to great extents to add large rendering features, like raytracing. That would take a lot of work with little benefit. I have no doubt that we'll add useful features, but just not huge ones. The core developers are already pressed for time, so we aren't going to add large Irrlicht maintenance costs as well by making large changes.

So, don't worry too much. I have no doubt that we'll get much nicer graphics by taking advantage of our Irrlicht fork, just not gigantic graphical features that require significant code changes.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

Personally, I'd be happy just with coloured lighting, dynamic lighting, and dynamic fog effects. And I know all three are possible even with the current API of Irrlicht. It's just that MT doesn't take advantage of those features. So, there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming need to abandon Irrlicht, when there are still plenty of ways to modernize MT by taking advantage of the existing libraries.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Runs is right, this is the best available option. An engine change would be great, but that's basically hoping for some developer who's passionate and knowledgeable both about MT and about some other engine to show up and devote himself to a switchover project for many months. It'd be nice, sure, but don't hold your breath.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

1faco
GitHub: minefaco
In-game: faco

by 1faco » Post

when i try to compile i got this error:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:78 (message):
Irrlicht found, but it is not IrrlichtMt (Minetest's Irrlicht fork). The
Minetest team has forked Irrlicht to make their own customizations. It can
be found here: https://github.com/minetest/irrlicht

i was downloaded the irrlichtmt fork and compiled without errors, but i have the same error to compile minetest.

i have linuxmint.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

You need to run ccmake and point Minetest to the correct path to IrrlichtMt and its .so file.

(The README file really needs some improvements and explain the process better IMO.)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:32
(The README file really needs some improvements and explain the process better IMO.)
The whole building process needs better documentation and needs to be made easier.

1faco
GitHub: minefaco
In-game: faco

by 1faco » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:32
You need to run ccmake and point Minetest to the correct path to IrrlichtMt and its .so file.

Thanks a lot.

bomberman

by bomberman » Post

it would also be nice to fix the work of the numeric keypad in linux