Discussion: Add a few utility functions to the engine

0siribix
GitHub: 0siribix
In-game: 0siribix

Discussion: Add a few utility functions to the engine

by 0siribix » Post

It's hard to outline or organize these ideas because they kind of bleed into each other...

1st idea is adding a way for mods to store data that gets saved in one of the game databases. I think it should be simple enough to add a table using an already defined backend and mods would serialize/deserialize just like they already do

2nd idea kind of goes along with this. I want to revamp protection but I'm not sure the best approach. The end goal is that I want clients to adhere to permissions and the server to be able to catch when a client doesn't adhere (cheats). I want to have more fine-tuned control than simple protection. For example, players without permission can't enter my protected area, nor can they interact with my containers, buttons, etc. Also the engine shouldn't send the contents of those containers to players who can't open them.

The way I'm thinking to implement this right now is to add table lookup to the engine, permission regulation in a SSM, and use SSCSM for clients to adhere to the permissions. I don't yet understand the capabilities/limitations of SSCSM to know if it can even do this. For table lookup, I mean the engine should provide functions to store tables of coordinates, a function to return a list of tables of which a node matches, store these tables in a db and reload them on restart

Ideas of permissions include being able to move, being able to breathe, being able to fall slowly, being able to interact with nodes, being able to heal, being able to jump higher or move faster, being able to manage permissions.

3rd idea is unrelated to the first two. Set rotation of a node. It doesn't make sense to me why our lua mods have such complicated code to rotate an object. Seems to me that c++ should be able to provide a function to set the rotation direction for each axis

Thoughts? Suggestions? Complaints?

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

Re: Discussion: Add a few utility functions to the engine

by DOOM_possum » Post

it's a dog eat dog world with the protection Thing, i'd focus more on rotating nodes

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

0siribix wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 21:58
1st idea is adding a way for mods to store data that gets saved in one of the game databases. I think it should be simple enough to add a table using an already defined backend and mods would serialize/deserialize just like they already do
Like mod storage?

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... 5679-L5684 ff.

0siribix

by 0siribix » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 18:12
Like mod storage?

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... 5679-L5684 ff.
Doesn't that still save to an external folder?

I'll look at it in a little bit. Maybe I was just looking at mods using an old method?

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

0siribix wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 20:00
Maybe I was just looking at mods using an old method?
Mod storage is basically meta data stored in JSON format. If this is not enough or too annoying to use then mod authors use different custom solutions.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

0siribix wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 21:58
3rd idea is unrelated to the first two. Set rotation of a node. It doesn't make sense to me why our lua mods have such complicated code to rotate an object. Seems to me that c++ should be able to provide a function to set the rotation direction for each axis

Thoughts? Suggestions? Complaints?
Please elaborate. Rotation is handled through param2. What type of operations do you want the interface to do? I'm thinking you might be after none, one or all of:
  • Rotate clockwise or anticlockwise with one of 6 faces as the reference point.
  • More rotation options (>23) that let you mirror on an axis.
  • Rotate textures on each side independently.
  • Set rotation with some kind of human-readable table like {front = "x+"}.
  • Something else that you haven't explained yet.
Edit: Ehhh 100th post. Not that it's a good metric. But if you give people a number they will want to make it increase.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

0siribix

by 0siribix » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 09:05
  • Set rotation with some kind of human-readable table like {front = "x+"}.
I mean this

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I want a utility function that adds an enemy. it should have a basic UI . this would make adding enemies easier. later the basic UI could be changed with flags and otehr feilds. of course this should be done by an expert and added to the engine as quickly as possbile. sorry but I have a vision and I am delegating this task (officially). this is how city-states like UR worked. in return you will gratefully be able to play my mod when it releases . this will begin a rennisance in minetest . but only if those engine developers shape up and get their act together .

sorry but the king just has amazing incredible ideas. but he didn't write any of them down. that was for the scribes. he also did not read either. he had scholars to read to him. similarly I think those "scribes" at the git hub should start getting busy instead of what ever they are up to instead

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

to anyone who's concerned. this is officially what you could call a "pull request" . I am confident that my post will be copied in full to the "git hub" by one of my servants or other dignitaries ( if you are privledged enough to be in my presence. I am talking about YOU) will then be copying my incredibly idea as a "pull request" to the git hub people so that they waste no time in the implementation of my unique idea. They are a wreched lost people wandering a desert of their own dead skin. and my creative mind is an oasis that I may allow them to drink from so that their hands may once again become fertile with the spark of creation

also. I will accept their thank-you's/apologies and groveling . you may post it into this thread . but do not be offended if I do not listen to all of it ( I use "dicatition" on my computer. so it talks to me ) . My time is valueble

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Man, didn't know we had a for-free masterclass in sounding pretentious up in here. Could have saved a lot of money.

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

philipbenr wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 19:16
Man, didn't know we had a for-free masterclass in sounding pretentious up in here. Could have saved a lot of money.
It's square in delusions of grandeur territory.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

philipbenr wrote:
you're so ungrateful and resentful. but im glad that you can find it in yourself to understand how much I give to you just by allowing you to be in my presence. but I think you've basked in my light long enough . so you can go away now - I think your posts are an eyesore .

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 21:27
philipbenr wrote:
It's square in delusions of grandeur territory.
That's the extra credit. If you actually believe yourself.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

nice ignore . but face it . this display of weakness only reveals itself in the presence of strength. you are intimidated and lashing out. you're a cornered animal