Fog?

runs

Fog?

by runs » Post

Distant fog is coolz for ambience.

But how is it generated? I would like a function to define fog for an area. I am thinking in biomes.

If the fog is already in the engine why not to emerge for modding?

Astrobe

Re: Fog?

by Astrobe » Post

This is something I had in mind too. I think a feature that forces a maximum for fog distance would have several uses:

* Make sure that all players see the same thing, like landmarks. If one player builds two semaphore towers in view distance with R=120, they won't work for players with R=90. Certainly they can change it, but this is annoying.

* There is a relation between server parameters such as map_block_send_distance and the fog distance. if they are not matched correctly, you see more often things "pop" before your eye. When matched correctly you see first a shadow and then the things get colors and shape as you get closer.

* It would be useful to simulate particular environmental conditions: heavy rain/bad whether, lava caves, morning fog, etc.

From an implementation perspective, when a mod sets a view distance, players cannot increase their view distance beyond this value. They also cannot disable fog, unless they have admin privilege. It should be a per-player setting, so the most consistent place for it seems to be in the set_sky() data structure. The function should set the current view distance to this maximum if the value is present, players can decrease it as needed/wanted.

AccidentallyRhine

Re: Fog?

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

It would take some heavy lifting in dev time but volumetric fog would be an incredible feature to use in things like rolling fog for localized weather or smoke from furnaces and volcanoes.