[Somewhat-Feature Request] Does Minetest Have A Sky Limit?

.Luke

[Somewhat-Feature Request] Does Minetest Have A Sky Limit?

by .Luke » Post

Hey guys! First time poster, semi-long time lurker. Hope you don't if I ask a few questions about this fun sandbox game? =P

Anyway, while I was building a village in the sky high above my house, a thought hit me and my little cousin. Is there a limit to the skybox? The both of us climbed upward in Creative mode on our laptops with tons of glass for quite a while, but were no closer to touching the sun than when we started. XD (Proof that we went as high as our patience would allow.)

Clearly, the skybox isn't fixed in a static position on the world, so nothing could have stopped us from building to infinity above the ground. Wouldn't it be crazy if it turned permanently night-time after reaching a certain height, as though you had left the atmosphere? I so wanted to build a hotel in space, with a vertical water tunnel acting as a "gravlift" to the edge of the atmosphere. > : D (Since there aren't any physics to push you around with flowing water yet.) With as much building as I've done on the ground, I'm crazy about putting things in the sky as well. Then again, I'm crazy about space and really should make a Mars planet texture mod sometime; would be fun.

So, could this easily be done with a few scripts, or worth a bit of effort to patch into the engine itself? I really would like to build stuff in space too.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

The top of the minetest world is 30980 blocks upwards, have fun reaching 31kilometers realistically.

EDIT: the sky village looks nice.
Last edited by Jordach on Wed Jan 09, 2013 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

It would be nice to have an "outer space" area above a few hundred or so. I don't think that would be possible with a mod, though. And nice sky village. I love space stations. I recommend using a sneak elevator to get up to it, those are much faster than ladders or water columns
Last edited by Menche on Wed Jan 09, 2013 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

.Luke

by .Luke » Post

Thanks for the quick replies guys! ^^
Jordach wrote:The top of the minetest world is 30980 blocks upwards, have fun reaching 31kilometers realistically.

EDIT: the sky village looks nice.
Thanks, and there really is a sky limit? I'm blown away! XD Now if only I had the patience to build a ladder that high. =P
Menche wrote:It would be nice to have an "outer space" area above a few hundred or so. I don't think that would be possible with a mod, though.
So it wouldn't be easy for lua scripts to set the time to night permanently, while above a certain height in the sky? And here I was thinking of adding air blocks and everything if I were to mod it. XD
Menche wrote:And nice sky village. I love space stations. I recommend using a sneak elevator to get up to it, those are much faster than ladders or water columns
You can build elevators in Minetest? I've got some stuff to Google then! Sure would make reaching my house in the sky a lot easier from both towers I've built to reach the clouds with than ladders. XD

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

.Luke wrote:So it wouldn't be easy for lua scripts to set the time to night permanently, while above a certain height in the sky? And here I was thinking of adding air blocks and everything if I were to mod it. XD
Setting time from lua is possible. See the implementation of the /time chat command in `builtin/chatcommands.lua'. However, that is not a solution, since setting the time to midnight would do so for all players in the server, even those who aren't in outer space.
.Luke wrote:You can build elevators in Minetest? I've got some stuff to Google then! Sure would make reaching my house in the sky a lot easier from both towers I've built to reach the clouds with than ladders. XD
The "sneak elevator" is a trick done by exploiting a bug/misfeature in how the engine implements "sneaking" ("walking"). It's not an "elevator" per-se.
Last edited by kaeza on Wed Jan 09, 2013 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

kaeza wrote:
.Luke wrote:So it wouldn't be easy for lua scripts to set the time to night permanently, while above a certain height in the sky? And here I was thinking of adding air blocks and everything if I were to mod it. XD
Setting time from lua is possible. See the implementation of the /time chat command in `builtin/chatcommands.lua'. However, that is not a solution, since setting the time to midnight would do so for all players in the server, even those who aren't in outer space.
.Luke wrote:You can build elevators in Minetest? I've got some stuff to Google then! Sure would make reaching my house in the sky a lot easier from both towers I've built to reach the clouds with than ladders. XD
The "sneak elevator" is a trick done by exploiting a bug/misfeature in how the engine implements "sneaking" ("walking"). It's not an "elevator" per-se.
At some point, I should really finish off my space game, this also includes a pre fabricated conf so its always night time and in spppaaaaaaaaccccceeeeee.....

.Luke

by .Luke » Post

Totally got the Portal 2 reference there. ;P But yeah, that sounds like a good solution for private games, at least, but wouldn't do for net games with spawn points, and places to explore, on the ground, true. There has to be some way to modify time only for the client that triggered it, although I doubt finding such a solution would be easy.
kaeza wrote:The "sneak elevator" is a trick done by exploiting a bug/misfeature in how the engine implements "sneaking" ("walking"). It's not an "elevator" per-se.
Oh, that makes sense. I should probably play around with the jumping to see if I can figure it out myself. Would make reaching my village in the sky a lot faster, for whenever I fall trying to create more real estate to build on. XD

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

.Luke wrote:Totally got the Portal 2 reference there. ;P But yeah, that sounds like a good solution for private games, at least, but wouldn't do for net games with spawn points, and places to explore, on the ground, true. There has to be some way to modify time only for the client that triggered it, although I doubt finding such a solution would be easy.
kaeza wrote:The "sneak elevator" is a trick done by exploiting a bug/misfeature in how the engine implements "sneaking" ("walking"). It's not an "elevator" per-se.
Oh, that makes sense. I should probably play around with the jumping to see if I can figure it out myself. Would make reaching my village in the sky a lot faster, for whenever I fall trying to create more real estate to build on. XD
This is a ladder
x=nothing c=ladder material
front view:
cxc
xcx
cxc
xcx
cxc
xcx
cxc

and so on.............

side view the c on the left is the two side ones:
cx
xc
cx
xc
cx
xc
cx
xc

and top view:
xcx
cxc
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

.Luke

by .Luke » Post

I don't think I'm following you very well on that. ^^' So I should attempt to sneak at certain steps to increase my speed?

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

This is a sneak elevator:

When you sneak, you can walk completely off of a node and remain clipped to the edge. If you are standing next to a node, sneak, and jump, you will clip to the edge of that node. In a sneak elevator, there is always a node right above the one you're on, so you can jump continuously upwards while sneaking. The bottom of the elevator should be padded with water or ladders so you can fall to get down. Multiple blocks of padding are required for very tall elevators.
Last edited by Menche on Sat Jan 12, 2013 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Clouds disappear from view above roughly 2100m.

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Why not we, make a outer space land based off, of the Nether mod on here?
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

.Luke

by .Luke » Post

paramat wrote:Clouds disappear from view above roughly 2100m.
That's cool to know, thanks. XD I definitely didn't go high enough!
Menche wrote:This is a sneak elevator:

*epicly epic image*

When you sneak, you can walk completely off of a node and remain clipped to the edge. If you are standing next to a node, sneak, and jump, you will clip to the edge of that node. In a sneak elevator, there is always a node right above the one you're on, so you can jump continuously upwards while sneaking. The bottom of the elevator should be padded with water or ladders so you can fall to get down. Multiple blocks of padding are required for very tall elevators.
I am totally building one on the side of all my sky towers! They'll look more architecturally complex and faster to climb at the same time. > : D (EDIT : And maybe add a moat to one of them so I can just jump down. XD)
Last edited by .Luke on Mon Jan 14, 2013 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

proller

by proller » Post

maybe we need sky islands?
in "block story" game you can fly up and look or build on many sky grounds and they even with water and caves
like this (greens at far):