[Request] Fence Gate

Obiewan1111

[Request] Fence Gate

by Obiewan1111 » Post

Please, can you add a Fence Gate to the default game, rather than using a mod which looks nothing like the dealt fence or using nothing. I'm sure a lot of other people would want this, and so do I!

Thanks.
Youtube Channel; Minetest Gaming Videos

Is suggesting the Offtopic Section and getting it added an achievement? I guess it is!

snakevenom

by snakevenom » Post

the fence gate mod was designed for the minecaft tp i think, which is a shame however i usually play with that tp anyway.
i may try and create a texture for that mod, it depends if anyone else wanted it too.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Obiewan1111 wrote:Please, can you add a Fence Gate to the default game, rather than using a mod which looks nothing like the dealt fence or using nothing. I'm sure a lot of other people would want this, and so do I!
Thanks.
Total support! :)
But I'm not sure if that is seen as needed. In MC I used fence gates to have access to the areas with mobs (like mines). I've blocked the way with fences and that make a gate. So I can pass if I want to and they don't.
Just out of curiosity, Obiewan1111, what do you use fence gates for?

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

I made a patch that fences connect to wall walkable nodes (like MC), but VanessaE and celeron55 dont like it.
So without this patch fencegates are rather useless if the fences dont connect to them.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Adam, where can I get that patch?

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

4aiman wrote:Adam, where can I get that patch?
Its in my fencelike branch: https://github.com/PilzAdam/minetest/tree/fencelike

Obiewan1111

by Obiewan1111 » Post

I want Fence Gates because I want to make an enclosure and gates into different houses in my builds. They would also be useful in my youtube videos I am making throughout the next few months, but haven't come round to starting it yet.
Youtube Channel; Minetest Gaming Videos

Is suggesting the Offtopic Section and getting it added an achievement? I guess it is!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

A standard gate for the fence would be nice, especially in connection with the animals from mobf. From a technical point of view, fences might not be ideal to keep them in one place (more difficult collusion detection due to the nodeboxes; possible escape; huge animals like cows sometimes seem to get stuck), but from the asthetic viewpoint, there's nothing like fences for animals :-) Well, ok, barbed wire might be a solution where homedecor is installed. Might try that.
A list of my mods can be found here.

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Post

mmmm? gate's are nice if you have a farm, or tall wooden fence gate makes a colleseum for gladiators right? hehe thats just an idea
I Live When I Dig

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Post

Sokomine wrote:A standard gate for the fence would be nice, especially in connection with the animals from mobf. From a technical point of view, fences might not be ideal to keep them in one place (more difficult collusion detection due to the nodeboxes; possible escape; huge animals like cows sometimes seem to get stuck), but from the asthetic viewpoint, there's nothing like fences for animals :-) Well, ok, barbed wire might be a solution where homedecor is installed. Might try that.
It's good. Barbed wire. hehe. And also HOME DECOR?? make it a dangerous instead
I Live When I Dig

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

Re: [Request] Fence Gate

by jp » Post

*BUMP*

... for the highly-needed new features (gates included) on the Fences in the default game !

See here : viewtopic.php?id=5016

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

The default game is frozen.
Besides, there are at least 3 more mods with fences and gates. Those are no worse than the one you've linked us.

PS: I'm not a necroposter, here you are! (somewhat quoted)

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

4aiman wrote:The default game is frozen.
Must be something new.

Hint: minetest_game is no longer frozen since just before 0.4.10
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

minetest_game is frozen, but minetest_next (the new default game) isn't. It even got a hatch some time ago.

Apart from that, my cottages mod also adds a fence gate. It solves the "fence does not connect to fence gate" problem by lying on the ground in its open state. I considered moving the gate to the side at first, but that didn't look as well.

Keeping mobs inside depends less on fences but far more on mobs mod. You can keep animals from sapiers animals mod (mobf) in a fenced-off region - and most of the time, they'll still be there when you get to that area again. Most other mob mods (especially those found on servers) are more or less based on simple mobs. Those can't be successfully kept inside the fence area anyway unless you go crazy and build a cage that's closed on all sides (including top). Those mobs jump on each other's back and thus escape. Or just despawn.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Sokomine wrote:minetest_game is frozen, but minetest_next (the new default game) isn't.
R U sure?
sfan5 wrote:Must be something new.

[color=#F0FAD5}Hint: minetest_game is no longer frozen since just before 0.4.10[/color]
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

My fence mod jp suggested is indeed not recommended to use.

So I made a new mod for fence gates, that preserve the visual style of the MT fences but also have not to be droped on the floor when open. Get it here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9932

EDIT: Sokomine, minetest_game is NOT frozen...

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

What can I say... Someone definitely should stop toying with minetest_game status...

Josh04
GitHub: DerMinetestPro
IRC: Josh04
In-game: Josh04

by Josh04 » Post

Obiewan1111 wrote:Please, can you add a Fence Gate to the default game...
Try out this mod: fence gate
Nennt mich nicht Josh! Sagt Josh04 oder JJ!
Wer etwas von mir wissen will, schreib mir eine PM
Schreibt mir auch eine PM, wenn ihr meine Lieblings-Mods oder Tex-Packs erfahren wollt!

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

This is something that could easily be added to minetest_game, and in my opinion should be. Question is if it's an addition that will be accepted.

Misty

by Misty » Post

Just my opinion, but fences that have gates that join to them and open like actual gates ( or doors )
should be part of the default game, and I cant imagine why they're not already included.
I've been wanting proper fence gates for ages.

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Misty wrote:Just my opinion, but fences that have gates that join to them and open like actual gates ( or doors )
should be part of the default game, and I cant imagine why they're not already included.
I've been wanting proper fence gates for ages.
This. I agree that fence gates and similar necessities should be added to minetest_game soon, if MTG aims to be playable and complete to any extent without mods.