Minetest Idea: Reworking the Trees

Maelstrom

Minetest Idea: Reworking the Trees

by Maelstrom » Post

Hi!

I am new to the Forum and thought I give you my thoughts of improvements Minetest could go.
At first let me say I think Minetest should NOT copy Minecraft too much and go fast in another Direction and Mindset.

PLEASE, lay down the Tar and Feathers and hear me out first...
The differences I talk about are simple routines and rules scripted into the game, which make more sense and give the Player more realism in the adventure.

At first I would suggest to remove in adventure Mode the main hilarity of Minecraft: Punching Trees.
To change this system I suggest to change the script for the Trees in this way: The Treetrunk stands on fertile earth and grows straight up. The Top Treetrunk should have on every side and on the Top a new tile called TWIGS. These Twigs have adjacent to them now the regular leafs we all know. The Trunk is not harvestable without an ax, the twigs are. Twigs give with a probability of 50 percent either a piece of wood or a stick.
This would later give a programming opportunity to make different Trees later on. Trees growing Bigger would get other shapes with other codes: A growing tree which gets two new height Layers could be either get Twigs adjacent 1.5 Squares in between two layers with twigs only one square. This will make a nice round shape like an Apple tree. But if the Layers growing like top to bottom in 1 square, 1,5 square, 2 square, it would look more like a pinetree.

Example: (slices horizontally)
twigs(o),Trunk(O),leafs or nothing(x)

1 square adjacent:
xxxxx
xxoxx
xoOox
xxoxx
xxxxx

1.5 squares adjacent
xxxxx
xooox
xoOox
xooox
xxxxx

2 squares adjacent
xxoxx
xooox
ooXoo
xooox
xxoxx

No one can punch a tree down with their bare fist except Chuck Norris (old joke is old) but breaking of twigs to get Wood and Sticks would be easily possible.
The need for Wood in the first part of the game would be a bit higher and the first made tool would be an ax to chop down trees. for Trunks and enough wood to build the necessary tools. Doing the same thing with rock obviously would be advisable.

This would require redesigning the code for creating trees to implement the new Tiles and changing the variables to harvest rock and treetrunks to -1.

Well I am a bit rusty in my programming Skills so I can't help... yet. But the Idea stands. What do you guys think about it? Good Idea or should I burn on the stake? ;)

Soren Maelstrom

Jat

by Jat » Post

Example for tree :
http://www.peripheralarbor.com/minecraf ... urnal.html
Script python, idea for minecraft.
http://www.peripheralarbor.com/minecraft/Forester.py
Sorry, i speak little English

Maelstrom

by Maelstrom » Post

Looks nice Jat.

But I talk about twigs to be added. =)

Jat

by Jat » Post

My example for big tree.
branch=stick
And to the ax, there are gravel.
Gravel (Silex) + Stick (branch) for axe.
Which has already seen a wooden ax...
Last edited by Jat on Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

How about a skinny tree too. It's just a fence post, but you get it.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Yeah, would be nice to see smaller/larger trees. Minetest could have very rare, HUGE (in height, like 200 blocks high) trees with a dungeon made of jungle wood and planks on top...

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

I think there should be more variation in size and shape among normal trees, like in minecraft. It would make forests much more interesting. And maybe moss to grow on trunks in the shade?
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

If you are going to add trees growing, it must be VERY slow (maybe once a day or week of RL) because trees can capture entire map :)
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj