Dungeon Masters/Cavefolk Idea.

Miklosher

Dungeon Masters/Cavefolk Idea.

by Miklosher » Post

Well I wanted to show my little idea that involves Dungeon Masters (Or how I like to call them "Cavefolk")

From what I read on this forum many people are thinking that the current Dungeon Masters are too hard/ to common.

So I thought about dividing them into 3 groups.

Here is a shitty picture I made to ilustrate my idea:

From left side:

- Warrior.
This steel-wearing Dungeon Master is the protector of his folk. He appears somewhat deep underground, but can be rarely seen near the surface. He has the most hitpoints of them all but lacks the ranged attack. He cannot destroy blocks.
Possible drops:
-Steel
-Steel swords

-Minner/Worker.
The most common of the cavefolk. He has the lowest ammount of health of the trio and his attacks consist from throwing rocks at the enemy. His main role in the Dungeon Master society is to dig new corridors, scout the new, unexplored teritories, mine various kinds of materials etc. When undisturbed he will be slowly making 2x2 corridors.
Possible drops:
-Coal
-Steel
-Stone/Steel pickaxes

-Sage.
The palest of the three, wearing tribal tatoos, resides only in the deepest dungeons. He has more hitpoints than the Worker but less than the Warrior. He is the one throwing the Energy Balls that are currently the deafult attack of all Dungeon Masters. He is quite hard to find, and is very dangerous to fight. He never goes to the surface.
Possible drops:
-Mese?
-Something involving magic?

Tell me what you think about this ideas!

And sorry for any grammar mistakes. English is not my native language!

Butt

by Butt » Post

I like it a lot. Turns a presently terrifying and secretive mob into a society of hostile, terrifying, secretive cave folk. It doesn't force a story onto the game but adds to the world in a nice enough way that I have a hard time finding fault with it.

Kudos on a great idea! I just wish they weren't so goofy looking. Maybe more like gorillas/orangutans in the final artwork?

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

I like that idea a lot. Although I think each of the different dungeon masters (or cave folks as you call them) should have their own physique.

Warriors would obviously remain big, so that could stay as is (with the addition of the steel armor and such as you suggested).

The Workers might be a little shorter. To add to them, perhaps they could actually mine away stones and such. And because they're miners and not warriors, perhaps they could be intimidated by the player. They would run once they spot you, but attack in self defense if the player is too close.

The Sage would probably be thinner, not entirely sure. But I like the tattoo idea; their bodies would be covered with symbol and such. Attacking with fireballs would remain, but to add to their difficulty, maybe they could teleport in short distances.
Butt wrote:I just wish they weren't so goofy looking. Maybe more like gorillas/orangutans in the final artwork?
It depends on the texture pack. My dungeon master would look slightly different.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

kddekadenz
GitHub: tinyworlds

by kddekadenz » Post

Really like the idea!

Miklosher

by Miklosher » Post

Gambit wrote:Warriors would obviously remain big, so that could stay as is (with the addition of the steel armor and such as you suggested).

The Workers might be a little shorter. To add to them, perhaps they could actually mine away stones and such. And because they're miners and not warriors, perhaps they could be intimidated by the player. They would run once they spot you, but attack in self defense if the player is too close.

The Sage would probably be thinner, not entirely sure. But I like the tattoo idea; their bodies would be covered with symbol and such. Attacking with fireballs would remain, but to add to their difficulty, maybe they could teleport in short distances.
Hah.. I completely agree with you. But maybe insted of teleporting (with could be nice on the Oerkki) he could have some kind of magical shield?

I've also thought about the dungeon in witch they reside...

It could be also divided into few types....

Legend:
-Lightgray - stone floor
-Brown - chest
-Dark Gray/Green - stone beds
-Light Blue - Crystal lanterns
-Purple - Crystal Forge (drawn in the bottom center of the picture. Could be used for some high level crafting... maybe the crafts including Cavefolk Crystals could be only made there...)

Top left one:
-Supply Room

Hidden in the earth, those small 7x7 rooms are used by the Cavefolk to store the currently un-used equipment/unsmelted ore etc.
It could be a nice way for the new players to get some early rewards from exploring the underground.

Possible enemies: (Those wouldn't be in use by the cavefolk so I thought they will not be present near them)
-None
-(maybe some Oerkki)

Possible loot:
-Stone tools (common)
-Steel tools (rare)
-Coal (common)
-Iron ore (common)
-Cobblestone (common)
-Rat Meat (rare)
-Smelted Steel (rare)

Top right:
-Warriors outpost

Small homes used by the warriors to get their rest, rearm etc.

Possible enemies:
-1/4 Warriors

Possible loot:
-Stone weapons (common)
-Steel weapons (rare)
-Rat Meat (common)

Bottom left:
-Home of the Forger.

This place is used by the cavefolk to make their armor and weapons.

Possible Enemies:
-1/4 Workers
-1/2 Warriors

Possible Loot:
-Smelted Steel (common)
-Unsmelted Iron (common)
-Coal (common)
-Mese (rare)

Bottom Right:
-The Sages Abode

This place has 4 quite large rooms:
North one is used by the warriors and workers - they sleep there.
West one acts as a storeroom
South or Cental one is the main room. It sports a giant crystal in the center.
Eastern room is the private chamber of the sages.

Possible Enemies: (Sages are obviously met in their private chambers)
-2/5 Workers
-4/6 Warriors
-1/3 Sages

Possible Loot:
-Everything listed above except Mese (common)
-Mese (rare)
-The Cavefolk Crystal (rare)

The crystal could be used to craft some useful things like crystal lanters that emmit strong, blue light or some crystal tools (like diamond in Minecraft but obviously harder to get because of the Cavefolk guarding it)
Last edited by Miklosher on Mon Nov 28, 2011 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

hmm i like the idea of classifying the dm's but maybe not as much the chambers

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

Haha, that sounds rather complicated. But who knows, it could probably be done.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

ThatRandomGuy

by ThatRandomGuy » Post

Nice idea, man. It sounds like it should be implemented.
"If it’s true that 'whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas,' and that motto originated in Vegas, how do we all know about it?"

mcburgerbob

by mcburgerbob » Post

I think that DM's are way too powerfull right now so i think that your idea is the best!
MY CAKE!

wokste

by wokste » Post

Do you mean something like
ImageImageImage
Left to right: Worker (farmer), Warrior, Shaman
We must be careful not to clone Notches mistakes.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

wokste wrote:Do you mean something like
ImageImageImage
Left to right: Worker (farmer), Warrior, Shaman
Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh, shaman, did you mean the HULK?

wokste

by wokste » Post

I just made the colors different so they would be easily recognisable. Wasn't thinking about the hulk, and looking at it now, we should change the color. Any suggestions?

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

wokste wrote:I just made the colors different so they would be easily recognisable. Wasn't thinking about the hulk, and looking at it now, we should change the color. Any suggestions?

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Post

I think I would like to experiment with the dungeon layouts and that crystal forge. It seems pretty plausible. I'll work on a map with a sample dungeon, and see what y'all think

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Post

Ok, the main idea is a two-room level. about 10x20 levels, and multiple floors (depending on how it was rendered). They each have a special use. A bar has food/health items, while a forgery would have weapons and tools (and the occasional crystal orb.) A library would house, well, bookcases. And a crystal forgery (a 1/4 probability) would house a sage and a stash of crystal orbs. Crystal orbs could be used to craft a block that would be used to make portals to an alternate dimension. Maybe at the bottom of the world. Just an idea though. Here's the world (sign in as TestUser without a password) http://www.datafilehost.com/download-43df0a91.html
Hope you like it. Tell me if you have any ideas. Happy mining ^^
MUST HAVE OBSIDIAN MOD OR YOU WILL GET UNKNOWN BLOCKS
Last edited by IPushButton2653 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

wokste

by wokste » Post

Updated images
ImageImageImage
Left to right: Worker (not changed), Warrior (added sword, made the armour a bit more gray), Shaman (purple, doesn't hulk anymore)

JSonic

by JSonic » Post

I like the idea, the chambers too. If this doesn't get upstream, someone should make a mod at least.
Stairs are cool!
Minetest-c55 for Puppy Linux
Minetest-c55 PPA: daily, stable