Advanced World Generation [Feature Suggestion]

Sylvertech

Advanced World Generation [Feature Suggestion]

by Sylvertech » Post

My idea is rather simple.

I wish to acquaint you with Terasology, another Mine-craft like game being developed.

It's world generation is entirely the cause of its creation and inception,
since its creator was studying this subject in college.

The procedural fractals are rather wonderfully smooth,
so if none would like to absorb any of the algorithms (the code is open source but written in Java),
than at least you'd have fun with the graphics.

http://blog.movingblocks.net/blockmania/

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Terasology is really interesting. The world generation isnt the only thing that makes it unique, its also the really awesome graphics.
But a problem is, that it doesnt have a real gameplay. It looks nice, but playing the game isnt really fun.

Sylvertech

by Sylvertech » Post

PilzAdam wrote:Terasology is really interesting. The world generation isnt the only thing that makes it unique, its also the really awesome graphics.
But a problem is, that it doesnt have a real gameplay. It looks nice, but playing the game isnt really fun.
Indeed these are the only two highlights.

I had intended, for a short while, to contribute to it instead,
but it seemed too.. dead.

Anyway, AND THANK GODDESS/ODIN/ANDRASTE, I found something with C instead of Oracle's plumbing store.

We all have our preferences, right?

And while C++ does have its own shit (lol), it grows on you.. you know?

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Sylvertech wrote:Anyway, AND THANK GODDESS/ODIN/ANDRASTE, I found something with C instead of Oracle's plumbing store.

Bah! Someday I'll port Minetest to Java. :-)

Sylvertech

by Sylvertech » Post

prestidigitator wrote:
Sylvertech wrote:Anyway, AND THANK GODDESS/ODIN/ANDRASTE, I found something with C instead of Oracle's plumbing store.

Bah! Someday I'll port Minetest to Java. :-)
Blasphemer!

..That was rather narrow-minded and stupid of me.

Anyway good luck with your porting. :D

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

I tried to play Terasology on two different computers, but no luck. On the first computer, the game crashed whenever I tried to create a world to play in. On the second, I could create and load a world, but everything was a black silhouette.

Terasology's graphics are absolutely gorgeous, but Minetest's graphics are decent, and it actually runs well on my computers.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Tried most recent build...
I don't see what we can inherit from terasology: it's world is small, there's not so many types of blocks... there is different physics and there are some video filters... but I think that Minetest's physics will do for a blocky sandbox game and amongst all filters I'd prefer nice shaders, which will work even on Intel 975 Vards ('cause despite I don't see any difference in the picture with current shaders, I cant use them on some PCs).

But, if anyone point out some unseen features and/or suggest adopting some "inner" functions, that maybe unseen , but important, then. I believe, it'll be nice to post that suggestions in the appropriate thread :)
(Maybe after all of them will be listed here)
Last edited by 4aiman on Sun Mar 03, 2013 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

4aiman wrote:I don't see what we can inherit from terasology
graphics. nuff said.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Mito551 wrote:
4aiman wrote:I don't see what we can inherit from terasology
graphics. nuff said.
Graphics aren't really all that important, especially with the ease of installing and using texture packs. As finding graphics that everyone thinks are perfect is impossible, having easy to use texture packs is the best option we have.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

by graphics i generally mean shaders: water reflections, outlines(don't really like 'em), depth of field etc.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Mito551 wrote:by graphics i generally mean shaders: water reflections, outlines(don't really like 'em), depth of field etc.
Jeija was working on making waves on water IIRC. That was a bit ago; I don't know the current state of it's development.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Mito551 wrote:graphics. nuff said.
by graphics i generally mean shaders: water reflections, outlines(don't really like 'em), depth of field etc.
Once again... part of my message ignored which this time results in repetition...
4aiman wrote:... amongst all filters I'd prefer nice shaders, which will work even on Intel 975 Vards ('cause despite I don't see any difference in the picture with current shaders, I cant use them on some PCs)...
The above quotation has smth to do with Jeija's work also. Currently shaders not usable (red-ish screen) on the Intel Vcards produced like 3-4 years ago. They support only OGL 1.2-1.4 and that's not sufficient to use shaders in their current implementation.

socramazibi

by socramazibi » Post

I tried it, I had no problems, but at the end of the video has a bug .... recorded at 720HD .

VIdeo
http://youtu.be/vmGkEAstUbE

http://forum.movingblocks.net/
Forgive my English, but it is the translator of google.My Spanish.
My mod:
Pictures wool 1.0 3x5 , Charcoal+Textures , Map

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I actually think the realistic water looks out of place against the rest of the terrain. The block drops are kind of neat the way they stack up.
Last edited by BrandonReese on Mon Mar 04, 2013 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

johnbone

by johnbone » Post