minetest idea

Gabriele

minetest idea

by Gabriele » Post

Hey guys i haved a idea :)

The idea is minetest maps like in real life wind! :)
its possible? :O

10twenty4

by 10twenty4 » Post

I'm not quite sure what you mean, are you asking for wind? Weather in general would be cool, but I can't see a whole lot of use for wind specifically, unless stuff like sails or windmills were also implemented.

shadowwraith

by shadowwraith » Post

10twenty4 wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean, are you asking for wind? Weather in general would be cool, but I can't see a whole lot of use for wind specifically, unless stuff like sails or windmills were also implemented.
What about wind turbines for energy production, wind mills (with grinding) for making ingredients like flour etc
"Spill some blood for me dear Brother" Vicente Valtiare, Oblivion

Currently using Minetest 0.4.7 Ubuntu Daily Build on Ubuntustudio 13.10 Saucy Salamander 64bit (based on Ubuntu 13:10)
Trolls will be shot on sight!!!

Gabriele

by Gabriele » Post

10twenty4 wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean, are you asking for wind? Weather in general would be cool, but I can't see a whole lot of use for wind specifically, unless stuff like sails or windmills were also implemented.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91TZeePb8Pk <------------------ this wind like that :)

Starc12344

by Starc12344 » Post

I think the idea of minetest maps like in real life wind.

breathalyser
Last edited by Starc12344 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

Gabriele

by Gabriele » Post

then this idea is bad? I like real worlds :)

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

It could be possible now with the addition of particle spawners (take a look at the new weather mod by Jeija).
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Gabriele

by Gabriele » Post

kaeza wrote:It could be possible now with the addition of particle spawners (take a look at the new weather mod by Jeija).
i haved seen this mod but i mean realistic wind not weathers :P

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

I think for this idea to go anywhere you're going to have to define what kind of effects you think this wind would cause. It could be pretty much anything:
  • Just play a "wind" sound for all players every once in a while (easy).
  • Throw particles around and make it look like stuff is flying through the air (I think this is what kaeza was getting at)
  • Actually move things like leaf nodes and dropped items around the world (pretty complex, and probably very lag-inducing)
  • Make it difficult to walk/fly or dynamically change the speed depending on whether you are going with, against, or orthogonal to wind direction (would require changes to the engine itself).
There are plenty of other possibilities too, some simple, some complex, and not all of which would be worth the effort and cost. So in order for people to wrap their heads around the idea you're probably going to have to come up with something more than just saying "realistic wind."

Gabriele

by Gabriele » Post