Nyan cat

10twenty4

by 10twenty4 » Post

Mihobre wrote:
10twenty4 wrote:I propose the nyan cat block be either removed from the default mod, or renamed and retextured. The existence of this internet meme ingame dates Minetest considerably (nyan cat hasn't been relevant for several years). Although the original is somewhat humorous, placing it in the default game shows a marked lack of originality and is little more than pandering to the internet crowd. Such pandering isn't in itself bad, but only when it's done in a subtle manner. Having an entire block dedicated to a meme is not subtle.

Some possible replacements for the nyan cat:
-sunstone
-fossilized skeletons
Who cares if they are useless!?! Oh yeah, you and you only.
I don't care that the nyan cat is useless, what I dislike is that it's an internet meme.

But clearly there's a lot of opposition to the idea, and by default they're rare enough that it doesn't bother me overly much, so whatevs.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

12Me21 wrote:I thought that the crystals could not be crafted back into a block, but anyway, the new mese blocks and the old ones are mostly the same, except for the crystals and the texture.
It's the texture that made it the old test block that is, err, was, a part of Minetest history.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

10twenty4 wrote:
Mihobre wrote:
10twenty4 wrote:I propose the nyan cat block be either removed from the default mod, or renamed and retextured. The existence of this internet meme ingame dates Minetest considerably (nyan cat hasn't been relevant for several years). Although the original is somewhat humorous, placing it in the default game shows a marked lack of originality and is little more than pandering to the internet crowd. Such pandering isn't in itself bad, but only when it's done in a subtle manner. Having an entire block dedicated to a meme is not subtle.

Some possible replacements for the nyan cat:
-sunstone
-fossilized skeletons
Who cares if they are useless!?! Oh yeah, you and you only.
I don't care that the nyan cat is useless, what I dislike is that it's an internet meme.

But clearly there's a lot of opposition to the idea, and by default they're rare enough that it doesn't bother me overly much, so whatevs.
so we should get rid of something just cause it is famous
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

0gb.us wrote:
12Me21 wrote:I thought that the crystals could not be crafted back into a block, but anyway, the new mese blocks and the old ones are mostly the same, except for the crystals and the texture.
It's the texture that made it the old test block that is, err, was, a part of Minetest history.
i say add it back in legacy as a texture and also add the code to legacy also
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

I'm not saying we need to revert it to the old test item. I'm just saying we can't claim mese is some fixture of minetest that has been a part of its history from the beginning. Because that wasn't this mese. It was the old mese.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

I believe the SHARDS (which AFAIK aren't used for anything yet) cannot be crafted back into crystals. Crystals can definitely be used to craft blocks, and I believe blocks can be broken back up into crystals.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

prestidigitator wrote:I believe the SHARDS (which AFAIK aren't used for anything yet) cannot be crafted back into crystals. Crystals can definitely be used to craft blocks, and I believe blocks can be broken back up into crystals.
Exactly. I've got a pull request in to make it possible to craft shards back into crystals, but it hasn't been accepted yet. We'll see how it goes.

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

0gb.us wrote: And yet mese blocks (or at least the version of them that were a fixture of Minetest) were removed. Mese was just a test block, and with that taken away, mese now means very little to the game, and is no longer a tribute to its history. Without the original mese image, it's just another node.

Not that I have a preference about cats (or mese), I just have a tendency to point out flawed logic.
Fun fact: they don't have the original mese image, and without the test image, they are just another node. Mese was only special because it was an artefact left over from testing. Mese is no longer a leftover test object. While this may be seen as good or bad (I will remain neutral on this subject), the fact is, the mese that was a fixture of Minetest no longer exists.
I totally agree.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Things change. Deal with it.

I watched Jagex destroy Ace of Spades' glory into a HUGE PILE OF SHIT.
Last edited by Jordach on Wed Mar 20, 2013 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

CC10
GitHub: CC10MAGIC
In-game: CC10

Re: Nyan cat

by CC10 » Post

Forward to 2017 and this discussion is interesting once again, as the Nyan Cat has been removed in Minetest 0.4.16 for legal reasons. See this post: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17101
However, reading from the discussion on GitHub, I understand that you can re-install it as a mod as long as you don't use it on a commercial server. Below is the Nyan Cat mod to download if you want it :
nyancat.zip
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Check out my emerald mod: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15485

wilkgr76
GitHub: wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Post

Nice bump.
N/A

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

wilkgr76 wrote:Nice bump.
Definitively. +1 So wonderful necropost bump right there.
Have a nice day! :D

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

that might be the record of the oldest thing ever bumped.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

I totally agree with 10twenty4. I never got the slightest idea what this artefact was introduced for. I found several nc's in previous versions of MT (in most cases hanging in the air for apparently no sensible purpose) and each time I used my pickaxe to remove this landscape discord.

If there was a psychedelic mod or texture pack it would suit it I suppose, but now finding it does not yield any gain nor sense of achievement since it is not linked to any game.
Last edited by voxelproof on Mon Sep 04, 2017 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re:

by BBmine » Post

VanessaE wrote:NO! Keep the nyan cat. It's as much a fixture of Minetest as mese blocks are.
I don't see it being kept now :P

But yeah, the nians had to go cuz copyright.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I am happy they were removed because that just means Nyan Cats are now even rarer than they were before :D

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

sorcerykid wrote:I am happy they were removed because that just means Nyan Cats are now even rarer than they were before :D
Yes, so rare that it would take you at least infinity years to find one.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I found a Nyan Cat after only one week playing the just test server (that was after they were officially removed from minetest_game).

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

sorcerykid wrote:I found a Nyan Cat after only one week playing the just test server (that was after they were officially removed from minetest_game).
I've found 20, give 10 or take 5, on HOMETOWN in just one week in July. And no, I was not using that hack I used on JT2.