Nyan cat

10twenty4

Nyan cat

by 10twenty4 » Post

I propose the nyan cat block be either removed from the default mod, or renamed and retextured. The existence of this internet meme ingame dates Minetest considerably (nyan cat hasn't been relevant for several years). Although the original is somewhat humorous, placing it in the default game shows a marked lack of originality and is little more than pandering to the internet crowd. Such pandering isn't in itself bad, but only when it's done in a subtle manner. Having an entire block dedicated to a meme is not subtle.

Some possible replacements for the nyan cat:
-sunstone
-fossilized skeletons

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Post

Actually, the nyan cat has been a community favorite for a long time. It fills me and many others with joy to find one. People have started teams on servers to find them and its brought up much discussion. I think the nyan is just a fun and creative aspect of minetest! It's also original to the point that I have never seen another sandbox game with the nyan cat in it (doesn't mean there isn't one).

Sunstone, what the heck would that be?
Fossilised skeletons... Sorry, but not as cool as rainbow pooping cats :)

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

I found a nyan cat deep underground once, I never new that they appeared naturally until then.
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

NO! Keep the nyan cat. It's as much a fixture of Minetest as mese blocks are.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

VanessaE wrote:NO! Keep the nyan cat. It's as much a fixture of Minetest as mese blocks are.
And yet mese blocks (or at least the version of them that were a fixture of Minetest) were removed. Mese was just a test block, and with that taken away, mese now means very little to the game, and is no longer a tribute to its history. Without the original mese image, it's just another node.

Not that I have a preference about cats (or mese), I just have a tendency to point out flawed logic.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Wed Mar 20, 2013 03:05, edited 1 time in total.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

I liked the old mese, because you would be mining and you would see random blocks that say "MESE" on them It was fun. now mese is just another ore (except deep underground)
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

10twenty4

by 10twenty4 » Post

InfinityProject wrote:Actually, the nyan cat has been a community favorite for a long time. It fills me and many others with joy to find one. People have started teams on servers to find them and its brought up much discussion. I think the nyan is just a fun and creative aspect of minetest! It's also original to the point that I have never seen another sandbox game with the nyan cat in it (doesn't mean there isn't one).

The nyancat is neither creative nor original. The meme has existed for years, and has nothing to do with Minetest. The fact that Minetest is the only sandbox game to have it is not a plus.

What I'm saying is that if nyancat is a "fixture" of the community, then we should replace it with a fixture which is unique and an original creation of Minetest, not an internet meme.

cheapie
GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

by cheapie » Post

10twenty4 wrote:
InfinityProject wrote:Actually, the nyan cat has been a community favorite for a long time. It fills me and many others with joy to find one. People have started teams on servers to find them and its brought up much discussion. I think the nyan is just a fun and creative aspect of minetest! It's also original to the point that I have never seen another sandbox game with the nyan cat in it (doesn't mean there isn't one).

The nyancat is neither creative nor original. The meme has existed for years, and has nothing to do with Minetest. The fact that Minetest is the only sandbox game to have it is not a plus.

What I'm saying is that if nyancat is a "fixture" of the community, then we should replace it with a fixture which is unique and an original creation of Minetest, not an internet meme.
Nyan cat is not original. Having it is.
-- This account is no longer active --
My mods have moved to: https://cheapiesystems.com/git

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

0gb.us wrote:
VanessaE wrote:NO! Keep the nyan cat. It's as much a fixture of Minetest as mese blocks are.
And yet mese blocks (or at least the version of them that were a fixture of Minetest) were removed. Mese was just a test block, and with that taken away, mese now means very little to the game, and is no longer a tribute to its history. Without the original mese image, it's just another node.

Not that I have a preference about cats (or mese), I just have a tendency to point out flawed logic.
Fun fact: MESE blocks are still in game; they just spawn lower (to make them harder to find). You can also craft a block out of 9 crystals.

To the OP, nyancats are a kind of treasure, and as said by InfinityProject, it brings joy to the player who finds them. If you don't like it, edit *YOUR* copy to remove them and/or create a mod to add your sunblock/fossils.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

kaeza wrote:
0gb.us wrote:

Fun fact: MESE blocks are still in game; they just spawn lower (to make them harder to find). You can also craft a block out of 9 crystals.

To the OP, nyancats are a kind of treasure, and as said by InfinityProject, it brings joy to the player who finds them. If you don't like it, edit *YOUR* copy to remove them and/or create a mod to add your sunblock/fossils.
Fun fact: they don't have the original mese image, and without the test image, they are just another node. Mese was only special because it was an artefact left over from testing. Mese is no longer a leftover test object. While this may be seen as good or bad (I will remain neutral on this subject), the fact is, the mese that was a fixture of Minetest no longer exists.

cheapie
GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

by cheapie » Post

0gb.us wrote:
kaeza wrote:
0gb.us wrote:

Fun fact: they don't have the original mese image, and without the test image, they are just another node. Mese was only special because it was an artefact left over from testing. Mese is no longer a leftover test object. While this may be seen as good or bad (I will remain neutral on this subject), the fact is, the mese that was a fixture of Minetest no longer exists.
That, and it's a lot rarer... I'm at -30000 right now, and I'm hardly finding any. It used to be almost every other block.
-- This account is no longer active --
My mods have moved to: https://cheapiesystems.com/git

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

0gb.us wrote:
kaeza wrote:
0gb.us wrote:

the texture is still in default/textures also mese exists but has a new look. The only thing changed was the look to make it fit with crystals. I checked github and found out that the original texture was removed pilzadam please add it back to legacy. Since iron apples aren't in legacy code. But mess is apart of Minetest HISTORY!
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 04:03, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

kaeza wrote: add your sunblock/fossils
Fossils...sounds intresting. Maybe someone can do a mod with real fossils? That would require intresting textures.
A list of my mods can be found here.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:the texture is still in default/textures also mese exists but has a new look. The only thing changed was the look to make it fit with crystals. I checked github and found out that the original texture was removed pilzadam please add it back to legacy. Since iron apples aren't in legacy code. But mess is apart of Minetest HISTORY!
You totally misunderstood me.

Mese still exists. But the version of mese that was a fixture no longer exists. That test image was what made mese what it was, a special part of the game. Now, it is just another node. But there's nothing wrong with it just being another node.

I don't mean that changing mese to a crystal was a bad thing. In fact, I'm completely neutral on that subject. What I do mean is that we can't take away the thing that made mese a fixture in Minetest, then continue calling it a fixture. By all means, change the image if you think it will make the game better. Forget its history, if we must. But when we do so, we need to recognize it for what it has become: not a fixture, not something special, but a plain old node, like everything else.

ds-2k

by ds-2k » Post

0gb.us wrote: Fun fact: they don't have the original mese image, and without the test image, they are just another node. Mese was only special because it was an artefact left over from testing. Mese is no longer a leftover test object. While this may be seen as good or bad (I will remain neutral on this subject), the fact is, the mese that was a fixture of Minetest no longer exists.
If you use the "Minimal development test" game, mese has its original texture (and lava is also renewable). You also get some mese in your initial inventory.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

ds-2k wrote:
0gb.us wrote: Fun fact: they don't have the original mese image, and without the test image, they are just another node. Mese was only special because it was an artefact left over from testing. Mese is no longer a leftover test object. While this may be seen as good or bad (I will remain neutral on this subject), the fact is, the mese that was a fixture of Minetest no longer exists.
If you use the "Minimal development test" game, mese has its original texture (and lava is also renewable). You also get some mese in your initial inventory.
The minimal game is broken in several ways, due to the nature of what it is. It is merely a place to test things, so not everything there ever gets fixed. It's also trapped in the past. Sure, lava is renewable, but so many things there are just not playable.

You misunderstand me about the mese and it's original texture. I'm not in any way trying to get the original mese back. I'm trying to get people to not hypocritically claim "it is a part of Minetest history" right after having wiped the historical part of mese right out of the game.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Wed Mar 20, 2013 04:22, edited 1 time in total.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

I have a map with a nyan cat within viewing distance of 0, 0, 0 (or the surface block above 0, 0, 0 anyway). At least, you can see it if you use the increased viewing distance.

seed = 6841008220803320331

(Generated between 0.4.4 and 0.4.5.)
Last edited by prestidigitator on Wed Mar 20, 2013 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

Mihobre

by Mihobre » Post

AFFIRMATIVE!!! AFFIRMATIVE!!! KEEP IT!!! KEEP IT!!!
I wanna fly!!!
I wanna have feathery wings of silver, blue, and white!!!
I wanna soar high and touch the sky!!!
I wanna fly!!!

Mihobre

by Mihobre » Post

0gb.us wrote:

Nu-uhh! Mese is very very VERY VERY IMPORTANT. It creates the sturdiest tool in the default mod, it is used by other mods as form of craft item for items that are magical and other things similar! So, who cares if you hate nyan cat and mese being in Minetest. Maybe you only use iron pickaxes because you hate mese and punch nyan cats with swords because you hate them! And they hate you too! :P
I wanna fly!!!
I wanna fly!!!

Mihobre

by Mihobre » Post

10twenty4 wrote:I propose the nyan cat block be either removed from the default mod, or renamed and retextured. The existence of this internet meme ingame dates Minetest considerably (nyan cat hasn't been relevant for several years). Although the original is somewhat humorous, placing it in the default game shows a marked lack of originality and is little more than pandering to the internet crowd. Such pandering isn't in itself bad, but only when it's done in a subtle manner. Having an entire block dedicated to a meme is not subtle.

Some possible replacements for the nyan cat:
-sunstone
-fossilized skeletons
Who cares if they are useless!?! Oh yeah, you and you only.
I wanna fly!!!
I wanna fly!!!

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

- Old mese blocks can still be found deep underground
- You can just change the texture of mese back to the old one
- I think there is a mod to get the old mese back
- 9 mese crystals cannot be crafted back into a mese block
- It doesn't matter if nyan cat is useless (it's not) because why would you just remove it for no reason?
- if you don't like nyan cat just go around the map and find all of them and kill them
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

I am completely neutral on this, having never found a nyan cat.

In retrospect, this post is kind of useless.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

12Me21 wrote:9 mese crystals cannot be crafted back into a mese block
O RLY?
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Mihobre wrote:
0gb.us wrote:

Nu-uhh! Mese is very very VERY VERY IMPORTANT. It creates the sturdiest tool in the default mod, it is used by other mods as form of craft item for items that are magical and other things similar! So, who cares if you hate nyan cat and mese being in Minetest. Maybe you only use iron pickaxes because you hate mese and punch nyan cats with swords because you hate them! And they hate you too! :P
No. I don't hate mese or cats. In fact, I moved my tunnel project deeper in 0.4.5 to reach the new mese layer (it had previously been at the old mese layer), and I'm always on the lookout for my first cat.

Mese could be replaced with a harder or equally hard material. While mese does make the best picks NOW, that doesn't make it a fixture of the game.

I'm not a hater of mese or cats, I'm just a hater of bad logic.
12Me21 wrote:- Old mese blocks can still be found deep underground
- You can just change the texture of mese back to the old one
- I think there is a mod to get the old mese back
- 9 mese crystals cannot be crafted back into a mese block
- It doesn't matter if nyan cat is useless (it's not) because why would you just remove it for no reason?
- if you don't like nyan cat just go around the map and find all of them and kill them
NEW mese blocks can be found that deep. OLD mese blocks were removed from the game, and cannot be found anywhere.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

I thought that the crystals could not be crafted back into a block, but anyway, the new mese blocks and the old ones are mostly the same, except for the crystals and the texture.
Shoutouts to Simpleflips