[Idea] Crafting System

Mito551

[Idea] Crafting System

by Mito551 » Post

so, here's an idea: how about multiple-choice crafting?

this is something no game has and is not that different to existing way of crafting. to talk less and be more clear i'll use a scheme

crafting grid:

i'm not proposing EXACTLY these recipies, but only the idea of different possibilities
Last edited by Mito551 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

That would be really cool, because that way, no one needs to look at all the other mods to see if they share a crafting recipie.
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

I was thinking of something like that a while ago. Another idea I had was to have specific objects that help construct things, and using the plain inventory craft area for few if any recipes. So like a furnace, but a lot more variety. Forges, anvils, hammers, distilleries, stoves, cauldrons, etc. Rather than a global list of recipies, each object would have its own intelligence and know what outputs to produce for a given set of inputs. Some methods wouldn't be to just use inventory spaces either, but to hit things or place things together in-world (e.g. like hoes in the farming mod).

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Post

Perhaps this would use buttons to cycle through the different crafting recipes? (same slot, buttons and number of recipes underneath)
Meow.

That is all.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

GloopMaster wrote:Perhaps this would use buttons to cycle through the different crafting recipes? (same slot, buttons and number of recipes underneath)

By cycling like that, any number of crafts outputs could be defined. Which I think is the goal everyone wanting this?

If there is a different output slot for each output, you'd be limited by the number of output slots there are.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

GloopMaster wrote:Perhaps this would use buttons to cycle through the different crafting recipes? (same slot, buttons and number of recipes underneath)
+1
But number them. so that player sees when he comes cycling once again.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

If this would preserve existing recipes and just add a "short cut" to receive, say, sticks directly from wood (without any need to craft planks and then craft sticks out of planks), then maybe:
While this makes crafting a lot easier it also shorten the time of exploring the game.

So I have a suggestion: what about different difficulty levels with ingame switching? This multi-craft feature is perfect for easy/normal level. Hard will use current minecraft-like system and hardcore/super hard level can have parts of RealTest game with it's insane way to get sticks.
Choose your difficulty level and get what you want! ;)
Last edited by 4aiman on Sat Mar 23, 2013 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Hmm... that single recipe -> alternate output idea is great. We have usually a hard time creatng crafting recipes because of possible conflicts with other mods, especially when using vanilla items.
4aiman wrote:what about different difficulty levels with ingame switching?
Multiple difficulty levels would be good. For example, make ores more common, mobs have less HP, etc. I disagree with changing it in the middle of a game though, but it's just my opinion.
Last edited by kaeza on Sat Mar 23, 2013 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

Another thing which could be good would be a multiple-output crafts (for example, a recipe could give 8 wood and a steel ingot).

kotolegokot

by kotolegokot » Post

It's good idea. I support.
I'm creator of these mods: Locked sign, Locked furnace, Money. And I'm a developer of The RealTest Game.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

4aiman wrote:If this would preserve existing recipes and just add a "short cut" to receive, say, sticks directly from wood (without any need to craft planks and then craft sticks out of planks), then maybe:
While this makes crafting a lot easier it also shorten the time of exploring the game.
you got it whole wrong. i too find the idea of getting sticks out of wood oversimplified. it was just kind of example.
kaeza wrote:Hmm... that single recipe -> alternate output idea is great. We have usually a hard time creatng crafting recipes because of possible conflicts with other mods, especially when using vanilla items.
4aiman wrote:what about different difficulty levels with ingame switching?
Multiple difficulty levels would be good. For example, make ores more common, mobs have less HP, etc. I disagree with changing it in the middle of a game though, but it's just my opinion.
+1

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Nore wrote:Another thing which could be good would be a multiple-output crafts (for example, a recipe could give 8 wood and a steel ingot).
Definitely! We currently have merge, but not split. The closest you can get is to replace one of the inputs (e.g. bucket of water with empty bucket), and trying to use that for a stackable input will have devastating results in the current implementation; not an acceptable workaround. You could use smart objects (like I mentioned above) to do this sort of thing (centrifuge anyone? ;-), but for certain plain crafting recipes it would be great too.
Last edited by prestidigitator on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Mito551 wrote:Multiple difficulty levels would be good. For example, make ores more common, mobs have less HP, etc. I disagree with changing it in the middle of a game though, but it's just my opinion.
A good first step is allowing Lua to do more with existing recipes, nodes, etc.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

kotolegokot

by kotolegokot » Post

Up. This is very important feature.
I'm creator of these mods: Locked sign, Locked furnace, Money. And I'm a developer of The RealTest Game.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This is but a small feature, but it is one that Minetest would benefit greatly from. It is another step on the road to making Minetest a more convenient game to play. Yes, I very much wish to see this added to the default game.

kotolegokot

by kotolegokot » Post

Inocudom wrote:This is but a small feature, but it is one that Minetest would benefit greatly from. It is another step on the road to making Minetest a more convenient game to play. Yes, I very much wish to see this added to the default game.
+1

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Why do people always want to change the basic principles of the game?

kotolegokot

by kotolegokot » Post

PilzAdam wrote:Why do people always want to change the basic principles of the game?
Personally, I want use it for Realtest.

In particular, for next recipe:
mold_with_molding_sand->[molding sand x2, mold];
or
metal_in_mold->[metal_ingot, mold].

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

You could do it with lua now. Just redefine the inventory menu to handle recipes different.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:Why do people always want to change the basic principles of the game?
BECAUSE. THEY. ARE. FUCKING. THE. SAME. WITH. MINECRAP.
rubenwardy wrote:You could do it with lua now. Just redefine the inventory menu to handle recipes different.
...and lose the inventory_plus etc comptabality?
Last edited by Mito551 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

kotolegokot wrote:

or
you can do that with that kind of code:

Code: Select all

minetest.register_craft({
    output = 'farming:tea_cup',
    recipe = {
        {"farming:teapot_2"},
        {"farming:cup"},
    },
    replacements = {{"farming:teapot_2", "farming:teapot_1"}},
})
my idea was to provide "OR" principle, not "AND" one.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Mito551 wrote:
So the only reason why you want to change is it to differ from Minecraft?
Personally, I care more about actual gameplay instead of differing from Minecraft.

Do you also want to make the nodes round, because Minecraft has cubes?

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
Mito551 wrote:
So the only reason why you want to change is it to differ from Minecraft?
Personally, I care more about actual gameplay instead of differing from Minecraft.

Do you also want to make the nodes round, because Minecraft has cubes?
actually, i would rather have something deformed. noncubic. or noncubic done with cubes (nodeboxes are great at this part)

i care about gameplay as well. not less than you because i actually play minetest besides developing it.

and this one idea doesn't affect the game THAT much.

Idanwin

by Idanwin » Post

I looooooooove this idea ;-) keep tinkering on it!
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.

kotolegokot

by kotolegokot » Post

Mito551 wrote:
kotolegokot wrote:

or
you can do that with that kind of code:

Code: Select all

minetest.register_craft({
    output = 'farming:tea_cup',
    recipe = {
        {"farming:teapot_2"},
        {"farming:cup"},
    },
    replacements = {{"farming:teapot_2", "farming:teapot_1"}},
})
my idea was to provide "OR" principle, not "AND" one.
This works if the teapot_2 is one only.