Nodebox Rotating or Model drawtype

ashenk69

Nodebox Rotating or Model drawtype

by ashenk69 » Post

There are quite a few mods that could benefit in the ability to control the rotation of nodeboxes. It could reduce the number of boxes require to draw for example a barrel. The only issue I see with this feature is how to handle the texture mapping. with textures being drawn on the 6 sides how would it handle a nodebox rotated at 45 degrees. A solution to the whole issue would be adding another drawtype to accept models. This would add less polys to draw for simple things made overly complex with nodeboxes and handle the texturing issue.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Minetest is a cube based game.

ashenk69

by ashenk69 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:Minetest is a cube based game.
I don't see that as being an issue. It isn't hard to create something that still fits into the style of a cube based world. Adding the ability to create custom models or rotation makes for greater variation when designing nodes. I don't like to use it as an example but Minecraft has a similar feature for its nodes and people don't seem to have issues creating things that fit into their world.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

That's a good point. It appears that when the idea first appeared, lots of people didn't think 3D player avatars would be good in Minetest. Now I doubt many would be happy without them. Even if non-cubic nodes are never used in the default game material, why not allow the capability for people who want to create their own games using the engine? And if it DOES turn out to be a hit (like 3D players), why not let the game grow and mature in the natural fashion?

Nostalgia can be fun, but it is a bit unrealistic to cling to it and try to keep things from progressing....