Bronze crafting

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

Bronze crafting

by 12Me21 » Post

Why is bronze crafted from steel and copper?!?!?!? Bronze is made from copper and tin!
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Wikipedia wrote:Bronze is an alloy consisting primarily of copper

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Wikipedia wrote:Bronze is an alloy consisting primarily of copper, usually with tin as the main additive
Last edited by 12Me21 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

neron

by neron » Post

Can someone add the bronze and copper images to the wiki so i can write a bronze article?

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It was made without tin (rather, steel) because some developers didn't want to add tin to the game to begin with (because then there would somehow be too many ores). I argued at length about this, to no avail.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

12Me21 wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Bronze is an alloy consisting primarily of copper, usually with tin as the main additive
Usually doenst mean necessarily. And as VanessaE said, too many "useless" ores are not good ("useless" = only 1 usage). So steel is a good choice.
Copper is also an "add on" for steel, wich makes it last longer. Copper is just a name for this "add on", it isnt really meant to be the RL copper.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Tue Apr 30, 2013 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Code: Select all

if useless == only_one_use then
default:copper = useless
end
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

andersje

by andersje » Post

I've wondered if we should change steel into iron -- because steel is what you get when you smelt iron with carbon to make it far more durable. Just melting iron ore gets you iron ingots.

Bronze is often an upgrade to Iron, but a downgrade from steel -- especially modern steels.

So, if we had:

Iron ore -> Iron ingot -> Iron tools
Iron ingot + copper ingot -> Bronze ingot -> Bronze tools
Iron ingot + carbon -> Steel ingot -> Steel tools

then:

Iron tools < Bronze tools < Steel tools

this would be more accurate, I suspect, to modern metallurgy

There's no reason we couldn't have copper tools, too, though most native peoples abandoned them because they weren't any better than stone (at least for weapons. They made super-shiny armor, tho)

(see also: http://www.differencebetween.net/object ... nd-bronze/ )

btw, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for a few months, and just loving minetest. My 9 and 7 year old sons also adore minetest, and we love playing with the mods. I look forward to walking my eldest son through the code, and getting him to document things on the wiki, to further his own (and other people's) understanding of the game and mods.

I kinda wish mithril had made it into the base game, too. =)
I don't always test my code, but when I do, I test it in production.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

andersje wrote:I've wondered if we should change steel into iron -- because steel is what you get when you smelt iron with carbon to make it far more durable. Just melting iron ore gets you iron ingots.
Well...sort of. Historical references to "iron" (e.g. "cast iron" and "wrought iron") are not the pure elemental iron from the periodic table we think of today. Actually they had far, far too MUCH carbon (and/or other impurities) in them. Smelting steel was really about REMOVING almost all of the carbon (and other undesired elements) naturally present in iron ore to leave a small enough amount that it could strengthen rather than weaken the metal's structure.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Well, play RealTest if you want a realistic game. The default game(s) do not aim for realism.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

I think that gold lumps should be called gold nuggets, and coal lumps should just be called coal.
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

12Me21 wrote:I think that gold lumps should be called gold nuggets, and coal lumps should just be called coal.
And you say Minetest shouldn't be like Minecraft? ._.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Calinou wrote:
12Me21 wrote:I think that gold lumps should be called gold nuggets, and coal lumps should just be called coal.
And you say Minetest shouldn't be like Minecraft? ._.
I've never played minecraft, and I only suggested that because it is more realistic and calling everything a lump is boring.
Shoutouts to Simpleflips