Mobs OR NOT!

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

LionsDen wrote:
Gambit wrote:We still can't even get hurt by fallen gravel or sand, nor can we get hurt when touching cactus. Mobs do add to the threat level for a survival-mode game, but we're still missing some natural threats as well.
Try looking at this mod. It's not part of the default game but it does have cactus damage.

viewtopic.php?id=4311
I also added damage to sand and gravel in the default api. Only problem is it hurts you even if your head is above the block.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

What needs to be written into the engine is a solid high performance configurable mob framework with decent AI that modder's can use to create their own mobs.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Aug 25, 2013 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Neuromancer wrote:What needs to be written into the engine is a solid high performance configurable mob framework with decent AI that modder's can use to create their own mobs.
IIRC, I think there is an AI written in the minetest engine, but I am not sure.
Back from the dead!

ch98

by ch98 » Post

Make mobs choosable easily.
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.

slenderman

by slenderman » Post

dude, I love mobs

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

How about the lovable bumble bee as a mob?
Last edited by Inocudom on Tue Aug 27, 2013 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Inocudom wrote: How about the lovable bumble bee as a mob?
I'd love to see one as well. Unfortionately, doing one requires a model (might be pretty simple for a bumble bee) and a texture (unless you want a bumble bee made out of wooden planks...because that's the texture I usually use).
A list of my mods can be found here.

Erikas0012

by Erikas0012 » Post

Both.

fraang

by fraang » Post

If someone wants mobs or not is very much dependent on the gameplay.

For builders (creative mode) it is anoying to have to deal with walking mobs. And hostile enemies suck even more.
In MC you have a creative mode where mobs are not hostile but walk around and hinder you while building.

For every RPG like gameplay mobs are an essential part. It makes the world more lifeful and interesting.

That's the reason why I recommended to control it via games. The nescessary API functions have to be provided by engine of course. Especially the performance critical ones. And AI is in general very resource intensive. Just look at 0 A.D.: The AI is one of the bottlenecks there. It is mostly/completely implemented in JavaScript.