add disable_fire setting to minetest.conf.example

anton-tsyganenko

add disable_fire setting to minetest.conf.example

by anton-tsyganenko » Post

minetest has a setting to disable fire, and it works, but it doen't display in minetest.conf.example. please, add it there and excuse mefor my english

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

minetest.conf.example contains only settings from the engine. "disable_fire" is a setting of minetest_game, so it doesnt really belong in minetest.conf.example.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

But we should still have a list of possible options for minetest_game
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

anton-tsyganenko

sfan5 wrote:But we should still have a list of possible options for minetest_game
yes. you can add to minetest.conf.example something like this:

Code: Select all

#
#settings for minetest_game
#

#disable_fire = false
#maybe some other settings for minetest_game
or add list of avaible settings to minetest_game/README.txt

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

They don't belong into minetest.conf.example, minetest_game/README.txt would be better place for settings
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

sfan5 wrote:They don't belong into minetest.conf.example, minetest_game/README.txt would be better place for settings
Yes, but why isn't there a minetest_game.conf.example?
Back from the dead!

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Or for every mod itself.
minetest/games/gamemode/mods/modname/settings.example
And the settings have the syntax modname_settingname and have to be insert in the global minetest.conf.

e.g.
minetest_game/mods/fire/settings.example
fire_disable = false
fire_limit = 256

anton-tsyganenko

Casimir wrote:Or for every mod itself.
minetest/games/gamemode/mods/modname/settings.example
And the settings have the syntax modname_settingname and have to be insert in the global minetest.conf.

e.g.
minetest_game/mods/fire/settings.example
fire_disable = false
fire_limit = 256
it's very uncomfortably. i think, it's be better to add a example configuration file to games/<game>/ folder and add note to minetest.conf.example, that you can also use settings from games/<your_game>/configexample.conf

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

My intentions was to write it into the mod folder because it is a setting of the mod, and has nothing to do with the game itself. When copying the mod into another gamemode the settings file will still be present. It just is logically a part of the mod.
Also when we make a decision on how to do it it is some sort of standard, mods that stand alone (normal mods that you download) would not take advantage of the standard if the settings.example is only used in gamemodes.

anton-tsyganenko

Casimir wrote:My intentions was to write it into the mod folder because it is a setting of the mod, and has nothing to do with the game itself. When copying the mod into another gamemode the settings file will still be present. It just is logically a part of the mod.
Also when we make a decision on how to do it it is some sort of standard, mods that stand alone (normal mods that you download) would not take advantage of the standard if the settings.example is only used in gamemodes.
it's uncomfortably if someone trys to find some setting but he don't know, where is it, or only finding interesting settings to change.
what about writing settings to each mod AND to game folder?

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

Re:

by Ferk » Post

Casimir wrote:fire_limit = 256
Is this a thing?
I would like a way to reduce the time that fire takes to consume a node in my game and the time that takes to later disappear.. right now fire stay there forever not really burning things and just causing a lot of noise. Do I have to modify the fire mod itself?
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Re:

by Krock » Post

Please do not harass dead topics!
Ferk wrote:Is this a thing?
I would like a way to reduce the time that fire takes to consume a node in my game and the time that takes to later disappear.. right now fire stay there forever not really burning things and just causing a lot of noise. Do I have to modify the fire mod itself?
You can modify the fire mod and present us your version as a pull request on GitHub.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

Re: Re:

by Ferk » Post

Ow.. I'm sorry, I didn't realize this topic was dead, it might have just come up in a search and I didn't notice.
I was making some changes in the fire mod but it's probably not worth it for inclusion since it would probably go crazy in forests (I think fire spread already got nerfed in 0.4.13 because of this, it was giving performance problems in huge fires).

I realized that disabling the calculation for sounds boosts the performance quite a lot (like +10 FPS) when there's a lot of fire. I tried to do some optimizations in this regard but ended up having buggy behavior (fire sound sometimes disappearing at times when the world is closed and reopened) and I ended up giving up.

Nevertheless.. I'll leave a link to my changes in case it's ever useful for somebody.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }