Mining Speeds...

derpswa99

Mining Speeds...

by derpswa99 » Post

Well recently I've noticed while playing minecraft the mining speeds were pretty balanced out. But only, after I started playing a little minetest. I started a new world and got my wood pick. It took some time to collect 31 pieces of cobble. I got my stone pick and noticed it was only slightly faster. I got my steel pick and It was almost instant when it came to breaking blocks. Same goes for the wood axe and the hand, the hand is faster than a wooden axe.

I dont know why this bothered me, but to devs, please adjust this

(I didnt put this in Bugs And Problems because its not broken)
Last edited by derpswa99 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 05:42, edited 1 time in total.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Certain tools are better at certain tasks and I dare say a bone hand beats a wood pick :P
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

BlauerEisRegen

by BlauerEisRegen » Post

Yeah, you're right... but why are you not playing in creative? Until now survival is really boring because you won't find any mobs or other funny things in survival... But the devs should really fix that!

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

The speeds were changed. Before the speeds were wood>stone>steel>mese. Now they are wood>stone>steel>mese>diamond.
but thespeeds where changed like the diagram below(stone changed to wood speed, etc.)
--------->wood>stone>steel>mese
wood>stone>steel>mese>diamond
Here is the comment https://github.com/minetest/common/comm ... fb7f890L47
Edit: the whole point was that someone didn't want to make diamond overpowered so he/she adjusted to make tools even slower.
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

Yeah, that should be fixed. Wooden axe is useless. I didn't know that the wooden axe is slower than the hand, but yeah, it should be faster than it is now.

What's the problem with having diamond more powerful than MESE's previous strength? All it means is that people with a diamond pick can mine even faster than was possible in previous versions.

derpswa99

by derpswa99 » Post

BlauerEisRegen wrote:Yeah, you're right... but why are you not playing in creative? Until now survival is really boring because you won't find any mobs or other funny things in survival... But the devs should really fix that!
I play with PilzAdam's Simple MObs so It's less boring

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

derpswa99 wrote:Well recently I've noticed while playing minecraft the mining speeds were pretty balanced out. But only, after I started playing a little minetest. I started a new world and got my wood pick. It took some time to collect 31 pieces of cobble. I got my stone pick and noticed it was only slightly faster. I got my steel pick and It was almost instant when it came to breaking blocks. Same goes for the wood axe and the hand, the hand is faster than a wooden axe.

I dont know why this bothered me, but to devs, please adjust this

(I didnt put this in Bugs And Problems because its not broken)
good thing you mentioned it. i haven't observed the problem myself, so it's good to know what's going on. so, anyway, i want to ask you to take a look at my dwarves game and say if it has the same trouble. thanks in advance.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Maybe we can change the speeds back and give diamond tools mess speed but longer duribility
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Tool speeds and sword damage used to be OK, but for now they are quite broken, axes are useless, shovels are barely useful, swords don't do much more damage than hand...

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

Why do we even have pure diamond tools? That makes no sense. I think it would be better if any tool could be encrusted with diamond to grant a digging speed boost.
Last edited by Menche on Mon Oct 07, 2013 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Menche wrote:Why do we even have pure diamond tools? That makes no sense. I think it would be better if any tool could be encrusted with diamond to grant a digging speed boost.
Minecraft
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

We wanted more ores and diamond looked good and also to me it is a good ore to make a max price.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Menche

by Menche » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:We wanted more ores and diamond looked good and also to me it is a good ore to make a max price.
Mese has always been the rare, powerful "trophy" mineral. There is such a thing as too many ores, and not all ores have to be craftable into a full tool set anyway.

derpswa99

by derpswa99 » Post

Menche wrote:Why do we even have pure diamond tools? That makes no sense. I think it would be better if any tool could be encrusted with diamond to grant a digging speed boost.
What's Mese? Isn't it also a gem like diamond or ruby or anything else. It's a game, not geology 101.

Menche

by Menche » Post

derpswa99 wrote:
What's Mese? Isn't it also a gem like diamond or ruby or anything else. It's a game, not geology 101.
Mese was a placeholder ore introduced when ore generation was first coded. It has since become a fun magical joke material unique to Minetest. It wasn't changed into a gem until very recently.
Last edited by Menche on Mon Oct 07, 2013 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Menche wrote:
blah blah many other people wrote:...
Mese was a placeholder ore introduced when ore generation was first coded. It has since become a fun magical joke material unique to Minetest. It wasn't changed into a gem until very recently.
Gosh i remember the war the erupted over whether mese should be changed.
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Menche wrote:Mese was a placeholder ore introduced when ore generation was first coded.
Citation needed.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
Menche wrote:Mese was a placeholder ore introduced when ore generation was first coded.
Citation needed.
From the minetest wiki which was quoted from the Dev wiki and is a quote of what celeron said.
Quote from the Developer Wiki:
The origin of the block is just plain random. In the early days of the game I [celeron55] needed to add something to be mined from the ground, and ended up with this humorous nonsense block, and haven't removed it from the game from since.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
Citation needed.
From the minetest wiki which was quoted from the Dev wiki and is a quote of what celeron said.
The origin of the block is just plain random. In the early days of the game I [celeron55] needed to add something to be mined from the ground, and ended up with this humorous nonsense block, and haven't removed it from the game from since.
That doesnt really say that it was intended as a placeholder.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:
PilzAdam wrote: Citation needed.
That doesnt really say that it was intended as a placeholder.
to me this means placeholder all right.
. In the early days of the game I [celeron55] needed to add something to be mined from the ground,
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Btw.: Where Mese is a Minetest joke, diamond tools are a Minecraft joke. You know, you can break diamonds with a spoon...