1

pdvrosado
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 23:54

by pdvrosado » Wed Jan 08, 2014 17:24

Pitriss wrote:I think you didn't get main point.. Point of minetest is AFAIK to provide engine with enough freedom to create any voxel game. This is already started and going in right direction. There are few limitations, but I hope they will be fixed in future.

Creating of games and mods is mostly based on community. And IMO it is good way. There is enough freedom to imagine something and start to code that. Especially if you publish it after coding so your mod/game can be inspiration or good addition for others.

Mods and games are already separate projects with own comunity around so you don't have any chance to control it from some centralized point. It is opensource so you can fork that mod, and take care about it.. But there is so many good mods and there is not possible to fork every good mod and maintain it to follow yor way.. Best what you can do is just pick some mods, modify them to fit your needs and create game from it.. There is no chance to force mod developers to follow some way which is controlled from some "central".



I do understand your point, but it is a known fact that the sum of individual efforts in terms of outputs in a project it's not nearly close to the result of the same number of individuals working together as a whole.

I'm just saying that whoever wants to fork on a version and give birth to other project, well good for them, but for the rest of the community, there should be a major incrementation of a single project driven by the community with updates chosen by the community. Having most of the community working on a single project uses less resources (human resources) and provides better feedback (on bugs, ideas, results, etc) than having every single one doing something on their own just because. Group effort results in cohesion and a well structured product. The mods will work as a whole, and implemented as a whole to allow incrementation and to allow them working well side by side without bugs since the beginning.

Why should we add mods when some can't work when other mods are installed? Just simply add them to the game as a feature... so the file size is big, so what? People play WOW and that crap is more than 15gb large. The game gets heavy! Then work on ways to make it less heavy without losing features!

I started this thread because there is little information about minetest on the official website. Well, the conclusion that I am getting is that there is little information, not because there is not enough people to help handling the site, but because the game itself has no identity. It's just a platform to make whatever you want out of it. But people sometimes forget that not everyone knows how to code or want to code, some people can help other ways, and other people just want to enjoy a good product to have some fun, and by having fun they will help spreading the product in terms of marketing.

From the name, to the title, to the features, all of that should take a distinct form to make a name for itself. How many games have gone through open-source clone like games to a whole different kind of game with a proper identity and less of a clone of some other game?

Think about it :)
 

User avatar
hoodedice
Member
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 06:33
Location: world
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Wed Jan 08, 2014 17:27

Dafuq did my post go?

Anyway, http://c55.me/blog/?p=1491

Anything after that, and I'll come to your house and butcher you with a pickaxe.

[spoiler]Sarcasm. Some people need to be told.[/spoiler]
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build
 

pdvrosado
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 23:54

by pdvrosado » Wed Jan 08, 2014 17:35

hoodedice wrote:Dafuq did my post go?

Anyway, http://c55.me/blog/?p=1491

Anything after that, and I'll come to your house and butcher you with a pickaxe.

[spoiler]Sarcasm. Some people need to be told.[/spoiler]



This is a mere academic discussion, to understand all points involved in this project. I don't know why does it bother you that much.
 

User avatar
hoodedice
Member
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 06:33
Location: world
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Wed Jan 08, 2014 17:42

pdvrosado wrote:
hoodedice wrote:Dafuq did my post go?

Anyway, http://c55.me/blog/?p=1491

Anything after that, and I'll come to your house and butcher you with a pickaxe.

[spoiler]Sarcasm. Some people need to be told.[/spoiler]



This is a mere academic discussion, to understand all points involved in this project. I don't know why does it bother you that much.


Because all has been said and done, by the founder of this project. I don't see any point in continuing a debate on where we are headed. Want a more liberal approach? Talk to the guys at FreeMiner.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build
 

User avatar
Pitriss
Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 17:09
Location: Czech republic, Bohumin
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Wed Jan 08, 2014 17:48

hoodedice wrote:Because all has been said and done, by the founder of this project. I don't see any point in continuing a debate on where we are headed. Want a more liberal approach? Talk to the guys at FreeMiner.


Agree
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.
 

pdvrosado
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 23:54

by pdvrosado » Wed Jan 08, 2014 18:01

hoodedice wrote:
pdvrosado wrote:
hoodedice wrote:Dafuq did my post go?

Anyway, http://c55.me/blog/?p=1491

Anything after that, and I'll come to your house and butcher you with a pickaxe.

[spoiler]Sarcasm. Some people need to be told.[/spoiler]



This is a mere academic discussion, to understand all points involved in this project. I don't know why does it bother you that much.


Because all has been said and done, by the founder of this project. I don't see any point in continuing a debate on where we are headed. Want a more liberal approach? Talk to the guys at FreeMiner.



That is what it has always been about. However, as a project grows, it’s impossible to keep total anarchy or dictatorship, so we need some way of fitting this into the fairly scalable architecture (development-wise) we have now. The alternative would be to scale the project down and make an army of forks. It could be fun too, but don’t think it is generally desirable. - c55

Keep the common base small enough to be manageable, as it is bound to be a monolithic chunk. This is what is called the Minetest Engine. It’s sole purpose is to enable cramming all kinds of messing-arounds into one in a decent voxel world experience.
Keep the common base (the Minetest Engine) as universal as possible. I like to compare everything that goes into the engine for how well it suits a gravitation-less space game without ground surface. If everything is either disableable or suitable for such, then it gives much more freedom for people to experiment and create interesting things, even in ground-based worlds.
Keep the common base lightweight, simple and well-written enough for it to not become some monster that everyone fears, because everyone is dependent on it.
Following these limits, incorporate features that help people do the things in the first list. -c55

Lack of main direction: We suck at this. Short suggestion below.

It’s starting to seem to me that we need to change the Minetest distribution to contain a bunch of different subgames instead of trying to have one main game. New ideas or thumbs ups for this?

Hopefully this explains for example why Minetest isn’t *necessarily* a Minecraft clone, and why it *kind of* is, and why it doesn’t matter in itself. - 5cc


I think that what I'm saying is right, since it does go with the same purpose as the one posted by c55. Just saying.
 

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
 
Posts: 6012
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 18:21

I am a minetest.net website maintainer.

Can you make a bullet pointed list of the type of things you think are missing?
 

pdvrosado
Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 23:54

by pdvrosado » Wed Jan 08, 2014 18:31

rubenwardy wrote:I am a minetest.net website maintainer.

Can you make a bullet pointed list of the type of things you think are missing?


A better looking interface like the one found on freeminer.org would be good. Items, blocks, mobs, animals, tools, ores, etc in a form of inventory would be great :) also a better way to present mods or texture packs, the web site design is kinda outdated and too simple to crave attention. There is a minetest wiki (not sure if it's official or not) that has some of that, but the minetest site does not have it. A list of present features would be nice too, as well as a list of all the new things that come with the newest version of the game.
Last edited by pdvrosado on Wed Jan 08, 2014 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
 

Previous

Return to Feature Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest