Fly mode privilege

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

Scott wrote:if this were to take place then i would need a fix to my individual problem. when ever i log in, i spawn about 3 blocks below where i logged out, so online, i use flying to free myself
Digging also works...
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

randomproof

by randomproof » Post

Scott wrote:if this were to take place then i would need a fix to my individual problem. when ever i log in, i spawn about 3 blocks below where i logged out, so online, i use flying to free myself
That server must be using version 0.3. That problem has been fix in version 0.4

Bartuch

by Bartuch » Post

+1
Moderator Redcrab's Server
I came back!

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

I've come to like free_move and fast_move. Particularly because I like building far out. Without them (and teleport) I be walking forever, if I get killed off and have to spawn near center.

shelbyingram

by shelbyingram » Post

+1
Minetest is it's own thing, keep it that way!

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

I think server admins should have a config setting to disable free move if they so desire. Free move makes the game too easy. It also makes doors walls and other defenses useless.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

lord_james

by lord_james » Post

I think this feature (also fast move and teleport) must be regulate in the default's script.

This lua file should set basic rules in minetest games:
-Basic nodes for world
-basic features
-rules for world generation

(It's a opinion)

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Post

+2

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

RAPHAEL wrote:I think server admins should have a config setting to disable free move if they so desire. Free move makes the game too easy. It also makes doors walls and other defenses useless.
is your house covered in Lava, try and avoid damAge now.

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Post

Indirectly this matter is what prompted my [Mod Request] Elevator or Vertical Air Movement last night. If that existed, players could have limited vertical movement within the confines of the game structure.
Last edited by RabbiBob on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

Jordach wrote:
RAPHAEL wrote:I think server admins should have a config setting to disable free move if they so desire. Free move makes the game too easy. It also makes doors walls and other defenses useless.
is your house covered in Lava, try and avoid damAge now.
Simple but time consuming lol. Of course only such would happen via griefer,

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

i can only think of 1000 ways it would be bad if a server controlled the player movement
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:i can only think of 1000 ways it would be bad if a server controlled the player movement
I can think of "1000" ways it would be bad for uncontrolled movement on a server lol. Nobody is asking for free move to be disabled by default. They are asking that server operators/admins have a CHOICE to disable on their servers if they desire. I think such a choice is needed.

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Post

i got a version from xyz that has it disabled completely me and jordach play with it all the time.
Keep calm and code python^_^

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Death Dealer wrote:i got a version from xyz that has it disabled completely me and jordach play with it all the time.
Yep. :D

However creative stuff is way way way way way harder to do, like pixel art.

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Post

Jordach wrote:
Death Dealer wrote:i got a version from xyz that has it disabled completely me and jordach play with it all the time.
Yep. :D

However creative stuff is way way way way way harder to do, like pixel art.
LOL or huge trees:D
Keep calm and code python^_^

randomproof

by randomproof » Post

All that is disabled is in your client there is no button to turn free_move on and off. When you move in the game what is happening is that your client sends to the server your x-y-z coords and the server simply accepts it. To turn off this functionality would require the sever to check if you could normally move from your player's last position to the one your client is sending in the time delta. This would likely add a huge cpu load to the server.

FYI Games like Team Fortress and Counter Strike use other techniques such as verifying your client's executable checksum to make sure your client hasn't been altered.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

randomproof wrote:
All that is disabled is in your client there is no button to turn free_move on and off. When you move in the game what is happening is that your client sends to the server your x-y-z coords and the server simply accepts it. To turn off this functionality would require the sever to check if you could normally move from your player's last position to the one your client is sending in the time delta. This would likely add a huge cpu load to the server.

FYI Games like Team Fortress and Counter Strike use other techniques such as verifying your client's executable checksum to make sure your client hasn't been altered.
correct.

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

randomproof wrote:

verify checksum the for game? smart

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

it is unless specified by Server.

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Of course this wouldn't work for Minetest (recompile from source after removing check) so we still need server side checking of coords. I am pretty sure Minecraft does it IIRC, and it doesn't seem to place too great of a strain on the server...
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

randomproof

by randomproof » Post

Temperest wrote:... I am pretty sure Minecraft does it IIRC, and it doesn't seem to place too great of a strain on the server...
Really, I didn't realize that the source for MineCraft was released.
Last edited by randomproof on Wed Mar 21, 2012 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

randomproof wrote:
Temperest wrote:... I am pretty sure Minecraft does it IIRC, and it doesn't seem to place too great of a strain on the server...
it was...a while ago lol

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

randomproof wrote:
You'll notice that during intense lag, the server will move you back to its last known location if you do something like fall off of an unloaded chunk, or if you move during lag and the movement is not sent to the server for some reason. It's a totally effective flying prevention method.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Compile the latest Github!
It's in!
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)