What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

by Festus1965 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 07:06
Since Microsoft's TOS allow worldwide lifetime banning of players basing on a single moderator being pissed it's no surprise that everyone is super nice.
So my 2 years old Idea seam to be worth expanding: banned.minetest.one,
and so I declare THIS is missing in Minestest over Minecraft !

As I strongly thought today to use ~900 Baht to register also my Minecraft (account) and join her.

Last two days we did the trial server with LAN for this 100 minutes together, but it is so short ... now we know where to get fast coal, iron, and today got it until red-stone, diamond, gold ... but all lost every time. hmmm
Last edited by Festus1965 on Wed May 12, 2021 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 07:10
So my 2 years old Idea seam to be worth expanding: banned.minetest.one,
Oh hell no! Global banning is the most awful thing possible. It's also useless as long as there is no mandatory central registration for player accounts.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

The article says it's for 'all versions' of minecraft, but in reality it only affects bedrock since Java edition is almost entirely private servers.
The real reason everyone's nice on MC is... uh.. they aren't nice at all actually...
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

cy

by cy » Post

How about movement of player models? Minecraft player models seem to have smooth physics of falling and jumping and stuff, without a lot of warping around. In contrast, even the most sophisticated player models in Minetest I've seen have a walking animation and then just sort of jerkily glide across the ground.

I'm not sure how minecraft does it, but I assume it's by having a lot more client side calculations, instead of needing a ton of round trip communication with the server for every movement. That's probably also how they get objects and mobs to follow flowing water. But I dunno minecraft enough to understand how they do it.

Shnikety

by Shnikety » Post

Eh, who cares, not me. I'd rather Minetest does its own thing anyways.

u34

by u34 » Post

minetest is great for its variety of mods, texture packs and games.

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

minetest is almost a complete package, with plenty of MAPGEN configurations, and ways to expand Your Experience, with complex, handcrafted MODS, like The Village People, or mountains in the clouds, the trick, is knowing The Day, You need to sort out the product, to give You a competitive edge, over even better additions, You can Find Here

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

the v7 is a powerful engine, and allows for advanced coding properties, for finding what You need, and getting further into the creation process, and focuses heavily on mesecon, which with any map generation You are going to play, is going to be the main source of advancement, even with most MODS

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Festus1965 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 02:20
I guess, that might be as of people have to pay, and paying people might have for reasonable behavior as otherwise loos the investment.
Since Microsoft's TOS allow worldwide lifetime banning of players basing on a single moderator being pissed it's no surprise that everyone is super nice.

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article ... -minecraft

But one thing I really miss is how polished Minecraft is compared to Minetest.
Luckily, that only applies to the non-PC (Playstation, Xbox, Android, etc.) and the C# Windows 10 version, not the original Java version.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

MHL wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 22:34
Linuxdirk wrote:
Festus1965 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 02:20
I guess, that might be as of people have to pay, and paying people might have for reasonable behavior as otherwise loos the investment.

Luckily, that only applies to the non-PC (Playstation, Xbox, Android, etc.) and the C# Windows 10 version, not the original Java version.
It also only applies to 'realms' and participating servers on those platforms, not to privately hosted servers or LAN games. I believe it also applies to Java Realms.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

MCL

by MCL » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 02:21
MHL wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 22:34
Linuxdirk wrote:

It also only applies to 'realms' and participating servers on those platforms, not to privately hosted servers or LAN games. I believe it also applies to Java Realms.

These tools are meant to help ensure that all our players can continue feeling as safe as possible within Minecraft and Realms on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Windows 10, iOS, and Android.
No mention of the original Java version.

mathiaswolfgang

by mathiaswolfgang » Post

Water: I can still remember very well my first steps in Minecraft. First, I was proud when my first farm produced grain, which I processed into bread. I found out that water makes the grain and the seeds drop and that both float on water. With this knowledge, I rebuilt my farm. Now all I had to do was flip a switch and the water would automatically harvest the grain and seed and put them in a box. I had to bring the seed back to the field and had saved a step.
But what was even better and no longer works in the new Minecraft was the boat channel. I built endless stretches and just let my river drift with the current. In the beginning out of necessity. I didn't have any iron for the rails yet. Later because it was really fun. I built slides into my system. And a traffic light system. All this was only possible thanks to Minecraft water.

El_Naso
In-game: El_Naso

by El_Naso » Post

I've given this some thought.

I believe what Minetest is missing that Minecraft has been championing for a decade is cuteness. The mobs behave in cute ways, the animations are cute, the soundtrack is cute, even the scary things are cute.

Now, Minetest doesn't need to be cute specifically (though personally, I'd steer it in that direction), but I do think it needs an identity. A core concept other than a blank canvas. A compass. When I look at Minecraft mods, I see modders going the extra mile to make things fit with the game. What I see happening in Minetest is everyone heading off in different directions and making things that don't necessarily fit well together. What do we want Minetest to be? I believe we need to ask ourselves that question and have the answer clearly in mind as we develop content for the game.

Just an artist's point of view.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

El_Naso wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:46
I've given this some thought.

I believe what Minetest is missing that Minecraft has been championing for a decade is cuteness. The mobs behave in cute ways, the animations are cute, the soundtrack is cute, even the scary things are cute.

Now, Minetest doesn't need to be cute specifically (though personally, I'd steer it in that direction), but I do think it needs an identity. A core concept other than a blank canvas. A compass. When I look at Minecraft mods, I see modders going the extra mile to make things fit with the game. What I see happening in Minetest is everyone heading off in different directions and making things that don't necessarily fit well together. What do we want Minetest to be? I believe we need to ask ourselves that question and have the answer clearly in mind as we develop content for the game.

Just an artist's point of view.
We want Minetest to be an engine. It may not have an identity and must allow "heading in different directions". It must be a blank canvas (and currently there's actually way too much preventing it from being a blank canvas, way too much hardcoded behavior). Minecraft is a game, Minetest is not. Individual games for the Minetest engine must have identities, the Minetest engine must not have one.

Note: Do not confuse Minetest with Minetest Game. Minetest Game is the default game and will also eventually need an identity (or be gotten rid of, I'm not quite sure).
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

ChristienChapman

by ChristienChapman » Post

Nether dimension. Hunger Games minigame.
God bless you.

List of releases:
Minetest Zombies Minigame - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28442&p=412633#p412633

- > cdb_1d60e1a03f83

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

ChristienChapman wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 15:25
Nether dimension.
ChristienChapman wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 15:25
Hunger Games minigame.
  • Hungry Games - Hunger Games minigame. May not work on Minetest 5, haven't tried it.
There, that wasn't too difficult to find either.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

by Tim790 » Post

Infinite worlds.
Yeet.

Burkhaalt

by Burkhaalt » Post

LazyJ wrote:
Sat Apr 26, 2014 09:35
I'll toss in my two-cents (maybe even a plug-nickel's worth). ;)-

Minetest_Game Should Be More Polished

I remember my impressions from when I first started playing Minetest. At the time I didn't know anything about this kind of game, I didn't know mods existed, and since I installed it from Ubuntu's repositories, minetest_game was the only sub-game (I'm not counting "minimal") and I wasn't aware there were any other alternatives.
First intentions are everything. My first time booting the game, I quit, because I didn't know how easy it was to mod and didn't feel like learning. I went back to Minecraft when I could've had more fun in this game if the base was more polished or modding was more clearly explained or presented in the launcher

The post I responded to was from 2014 but it's still applicable as my initial experiences caused me to not play for many years

MCL

by MCL » Post

Burkhaalt wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 08:13

First intentions are everything. My first time booting the game, I quit, because I didn't know how easy it was to mod and didn't feel like learning. I went back to Minecraft when I could've had more fun in this game if the base was more polished or modding was more clearly explained or presented in the launcher
Exactly, to someone who's never seen Minetest before, it looks like a cheap Minecraft knock off for Android.

ChristienChapman

by ChristienChapman » Post

Voice chat
God bless you.

List of releases:
Minetest Zombies Minigame - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28442&p=412633#p412633

- > cdb_1d60e1a03f83

Juninnozero
GitHub: Juninh567
IRC: Juninho
In-game: Juninh567

by Juninnozero » Post

Nothing. Minetest already has everything it needs.
(I just readed the title, none of the content)

Mentos

by Mentos » Post

The biggest thing Minetest is missing is a big community. Ok, in the last few years the community grew, but not that much. Minetest is like 10 yars old I think? I really hope people will join Minetest because opensource is a great way to make good things.

Thelepop

by Thelepop » Post

How smooth are the mobs in minetest right now?
That always seemed like a problem to me because theres 4~5 different implementations on the LUA side and they are all janky in different ways.
I know there is C++ features being added that help with the LUA implementation of this, but for me it seems like a mistake to leave this job to modders, which are very few on this community and they are usually on their own when they start their mods.
What I'm trying to say is that this feature could be addressed by the engine developers and let them collectively offer a mob implementation that everyone else would adopt.
Hope I'm not being an annoyance with this, I haven't played Minetest for a year so maybe the mobs are better right now.
I remember playing this minecraft clone (wasn't mineclone) that had mobs implemented from scratch that felt pretty good, I totally forgot the name of the developer and the game and I couldn't find it through search, I remember he abandoned the project and started making his own voxel game (which I also cannot find).

As for minetest I feel that it's not going to go anywhere if its just a copy of minecraft, this project is going to blossom with mods and games which explore the opportunities of the engine as it is right now, I remember a year ago reading about ideas to enable the minetest engine to render more blocks, level of detail kind of stuff, I hope that was given a shot and the engine is more performant.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Thelepop wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 04:18
How smooth are the mobs in minetest right now?
Within the limitations of the Lua API and limited access to the client mobs are working very well. Of course far beyond what’s done in Minecraft but all mob implementations on their own are the best we can get with the currently available platform.

c56
GitHub: tigercoding56
In-game: bm5 or bemo5 also sell_her_on55

by c56 » Post

the thing minetest is missing is : large community most servers are empty also there is no minecraft to minetest mod converter ( could maybe be done by executing mod in a sandbox and seeing if any items are added / crafting recipes ) so 78% of minecraft mods do not have a good minetest replacement (immersive portals create optifine to name a few ) + world size is small (32k^3 < 128 * 1+mil^2) aaand there are no dimensions making it so that a mod that adds areas outside the world like space_realms has to take that space from the playable area (also modding api can be lackluster for things that require changing rendering like viewports )
this is a signature not a place to post messages also if i could change my username i would change it to sell_her_on55