What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

banninga.j.m

Re: What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

by banninga.j.m » Post

All the edges seem sharp in MT compared to MC.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

banninga.j.m wrote:All the edges seem sharp in MT compared to MC.
What do you mean? Are you talking about textures or block edges?

Enabling mip-mapping (fast) and anisotropic filtering (slower) in the options menu will smoothen textures.

Adding fsaa = 4 in minetest.conf smoothens block edges, but it is quite slow. Minecraft does not offer FSAA without the usage of mods – if you force it in your driver, it will be buggy – so this is a feature Minetest has, but Minecraft lacks.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

I have read some of the comments and here is my view. Minetest lacks artistic quality not in the textures but in game itself. For me Minecraft is exploring and that is what I have always liked. Minetest is you see 3 biomes and you have seen them all, oh look a random underground structure with no different ones. I am not saying be like Minecraft but there is not enough features or things to do. There are very few 3rd teir crafting blocks in minetest. I mean come on, I can only build houses out of a handful of items. It is the games like dwarves which add many features to the game that are fun. Also mentioned previously was the challenge level. I die from falling only. Please don't say that is what mods are for. Please look at the https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/graphs/commit-activity.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... 7d3730540f
REALLY!! A year ago was that last time new nodes/items were added. I know features were added but a year since a new node. The problem is that many people want to keep the game the same as it was before and the devs want to fix and better the engine. Make a minetest_classic and a minetest_game as suggested earlier. When I wanted obsidian to be added I had to make the code and fight my way to get it in. Devs please lighten up and not use the excuse if you want a feature make a mod. People want features ingame and they don't want to go through hell to get it added. I have seen too many people leave from this. There used to be tons of pull requests and now there are only a couple. Nobody wants to fight to be recognized. Also the community is harsh. Many don't want new features added and complain when new ones are added. That is why a classic game should be made and only developed to be made faster but with nothing new.
I have had these thoughts for a while and have ranted. Here is a poll with some things on development. http://strawpoll.me/1612005
Edit: Also some more things. One Minecraft adds new feature on a near regular basis. Also if someone doesn't like something that is added then don't use it. Just please don't stop others from getting a potentially good feature. I agree thwerw should be devs for Minetest that can affect the game. But I also believe there should be a minetest_game Dev team with different people.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:I have read some of the comments and here is my view. Minetest lacks artistic quality not in the textures but in game itself. For me Minecraft is exploring and that is what I have always liked. Minetest is you see 3 biomes and you have seen them all, oh look a random underground structure with no different ones. I am not saying be like Minecraft but there is not enough features or things to do. There are very few 3rd teir crafting blocks in minetest. I mean come on, I can only build houses out of a handful of items. It is the games like dwarves which add many features to the game that are fun. Also mentioned previously was the challenge level. I die from falling only. Please don't say that is what mods are for. Please look at the https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/graphs/commit-activity.
REALLY!! A year ago was that last time new nodes/items were added. I know features were added but a year since a new node. The problem is that many people want to keep the game the same as it was before and the devs want to fix and better the engine. Make a minetest_classic and a minetest_game as suggested earlier. When I wanted obsidian to be added I had to make the code and fight my way to get it in. Devs please lighten up and not use the excuse if you want a feature make a mod. People want features ingame and they don't want to go through hell to get it added. I have seen too many people leave from this. There used to be tons of pull requests and now there are only a couple. Nobody wants to fight to be recognized. Also the community is harsh. Many don't want new features added and complain when new ones are added. That is why a classic game should be made and only developed to be made faster but with nothing new.
I have had these thoughts for a while and have ranted. Here is a poll with some things on development. http://strawpoll.me/1612005
minetest_game development is frozen because new subgames will be included with the new release.
Also you poll basically looks like this:
1) what I think
2) my opinion
3) another part of my opinion
Polls need to have multiple different options, representing different views, to make any sense.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

sfan5 wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:I have read some of the comments and here is my view. Minetest lacks artistic quality not in the textures but in game itself. For me Minecraft is exploring and that is what I have always liked. Minetest is you see 3 biomes and you have seen them all, oh look a random underground structure with no different ones. I am not saying be like Minecraft but there is not enough features or things to do. There are very few 3rd teir crafting blocks in minetest. I mean come on, I can only build houses out of a handful of items. It is the games like dwarves which add many features to the game that are fun. Also mentioned previously was the challenge level. I die from falling only. Please don't say that is what mods are for. Please look at the https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/graphs/commit-activity.
minetest_game development is frozen because new subgames will be included with the new release.
Also you poll basically looks like this:
1) what I think
2) my opinion
3) another part of my opinion
Polls need to have multiple different options, representing different views, to make any sense.
I made the poll to see who else had the same opinions as me. Also I don't follow the forums as much because I mostly left minetest for a while. I hope the new subgames doesn't turn out like building, creative, and survival.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

minetest_game is frozen; if you want improvements of that game, try minetest_next (aims for stability as in “not changing too much”) or Carbone (which is a bit less afraid of change, may change more often).

GingerHunter797
In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Post

Calinou wrote:
minetest_game is frozen; if you want improvements of that game, try minetest_next (aims for stability as in “not changing too much”) or Carbone (which is a bit less afraid of change, may change more often).
So is Minetest not being developed anymore?
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

GingerHunter797 wrote:So is Minetest not being developed anymore?
Of course it is. Just not minetest_game.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

There should be added a hunger and hydration system, but different than Minecraft's hunger system. The first difference could be the use of a "bar" that represents hunger, rather than a set of 10 images. The same for hydration. Also, food should replenish the hunger over time, rather than instantly, with the speed depending on hydration.
I also think that the player should be able to live with no food for several days, but not be able to live long without water.
There could also be implemented the risk of cave-ins underground, making it more risky to get ores and get out alive.
Finally, the default texture pack could do with some changes - textures need to be more contrasting and saturated, to keep the environment from looking dull.
Regarding there not being anything special about the landscape, just wait for Mapgen v7.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

SegFault22 wrote:There should be added a hunger and hydration system, but different than Minecraft's hunger system.
There's already a hunger/food mod existing.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Those sorts of replies aren't useful.

The hunger mod is not in the way described.

I quite like the idea of a DayZ level of realism hunger mod.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Tue Nov 10, 2015 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

Krock wrote:
SegFault22 wrote:There should be added a hunger and hydration system, but different than Minecraft's hunger system.
A mod, yes, but it still lacks necessary qualities, had you read my post instead of skimming for keywords.
The current system has 20 points for hunger and nothing for hydration. The proposed system would have, say, 160 points for hunger, and the same for hydration, represented by a bar with no breaks in it. Hunger, Hydration and Health would interact a lot too - healing speed would be proportional to the hunger points, and negative if the player has hunger points below a certain point. Hydration would act the same way, but instead of providing healing capabilities, it only hurts the player if it gets below a certain level. When a player would eat something, it would take time for that to replenish their hunger-bar - the speed would be proportional to the current hydration level. Also, it would consume hydration points to replenish hunger points, which will require players to drink stuff while eating, just like meals in real life.
This would be better than in Minecraft. In Minecraft, the player waltzes around and loses hunger points, replenishing them often with bread or something. In the casual minecraft session, the player carries around a stack orso of a certain food item, having to eat often to keep the hunger points replenished. In real life, this would be like eating snacks every so often, and no real meals.
In the proposed system for Minetest, it would be possible to eat a lot of food (a "meal" of sorts), and that would suffice for a long while, with a few snacks between meals. In real life, this would be like eating a meal at a certain time of the day, then having a snack or two much later.
We shouldn't really be striving for realism - this isn't what Minetest, or games in general, are about. But this system, no matter how real it is, is far better than Minecraft.

Regarding other stuff about what Minetest is missing, the environment could use some attention. Currently, even Mapgen v7 won't suffice. Why, you may ask? First of all, the textures are dull. They need more contrast. The same goes for the sounds. Second, there needs to be more variety and awesomeness in the world.
In Minecraft, or any other game with trees and such, the trees are different. They have different height, leaf-block/leaved-part patterns, and such. A standard taiga biome in Minecraft has tons of trees, in relatively close proximity, with different leaf patterns and different heights. But in Minetest, all of the trees are relatively the same, with little variation in height or leaf-block-patterns. It would make Minetest much better if there were a few more types of trees, all of different colours and forms, and if all trees were to have more diverse leaf-block-patterns and heights, and are closer together. What we can do to make this different and better than Minecraft, is if forests would generate with bare clearings and "paths" of sorts, so that traveling through a forest is more interesting, and the trees can be more dense without limiting one's ability to move through the forest.

That's all I have for now.

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

SegFault22 wrote:
Krock wrote:
A mod, yes, but it still lacks necessary qualities, had you read my post instead of skimming for keywords.
The current system has 20 points for hunger and nothing for hydration. The proposed system would have, say, 160 points for hunger, and the same for hydration, represented by a bar with no breaks in it. Hunger, Hydration and Health would interact a lot too - healing speed would be proportional to the hunger points, and negative if the player has hunger points below a certain point. Hydration would act the same way, but instead of providing healing capabilities, it only hurts the player if it gets below a certain level. When a player would eat something, it would take time for that to replenish their hunger-bar - the speed would be proportional to the current hydration level. Also, it would consume hydration points to replenish hunger points, which will require players to drink stuff while eating, just like meals in real life.
This would be better than in Minecraft. In Minecraft, the player waltzes around and loses hunger points, replenishing them often with bread or something. In the casual minecraft session, the player carries around a stack orso of a certain food item, having to eat often to keep the hunger points replenished. In real life, this would be like eating snacks every so often, and no real meals.
In the proposed system for Minetest, it would be possible to eat a lot of food (a "meal" of sorts), and that would suffice for a long while, with a few snacks between meals. In real life, this would be like eating a meal at a certain time of the day, then having a snack or two much later.
We shouldn't really be striving for realism - this isn't what Minetest, or games in general, are about. But this system, no matter how real it is, is far better than Minecraft.

Regarding other stuff about what Minetest is missing, the environment could use some attention. Currently, even Mapgen v7 won't suffice. Why, you may ask? First of all, the textures are dull. They need more contrast. The same goes for the sounds. Second, there needs to be more variety and awesomeness in the world.
In Minecraft, or any other game with trees and such, the trees are different. They have different height, leaf-block/leaved-part patterns, and such. A standard taiga biome in Minecraft has tons of trees, in relatively close proximity, with different leaf patterns and different heights. But in Minetest, all of the trees are relatively the same, with little variation in height or leaf-block-patterns. It would make Minetest much better if there were a few more types of trees, all of different colours and forms, and if all trees were to have more diverse leaf-block-patterns and heights, and are closer together. What we can do to make this different and better than Minecraft, is if forests would generate with bare clearings and "paths" of sorts, so that traveling through a forest is more interesting, and the trees can be more dense without limiting one's ability to move through the forest.

That's all I have for now.
I personally am opposed to an hunger/thirst aspect of that level. At a certain point, too much realism takes away from the fun of things. I prefer not to have hunger because then I can keep more inventory space, and then I can focus on building and mining instead of spending what little time I have on foraging for food instead of accomplishing anything.

Regarding trees, have you looked into the moretrees mod? That would solve a lot of your dissatisfaction with the current set up.... although I would like pine trees to be included in the base game. ;)
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote: I personally am opposed to an hunger/thirst aspect of that level. At a certain point, too much realism takes away from the fun of things. I prefer not to have hunger because then I can keep more inventory space, and then I can focus on building and mining instead of spending what little time I have on foraging for food instead of accomplishing anything.
Had you read my article, you would know that the proposed system would not require you to have any more than one inventory space taken up by an item or two, or none at all. I'm not explaining why, as I have already said that in my article. If you don't like the idea, and if it is implemented, you could simply play Singleplayer with it disabled, or go to a smaller, less popular server with people who also don't like the hunger/hydration idea.
HeroOfTheWinds wrote: Regarding trees, have you looked into the moretrees mod? That would solve a lot of your dissatisfaction with the current set up.... although I would like pine trees to be included in the base game. ;)
I have looked into mods for trees, but none of them are what I explained in my article. You would know that, had you not just skimmed for keywords. I am not proposing just the addition of more trees. I am proposing a change to the default generation of trees, to include more than one type of tree, more than one pattern and height for said types, denser forests, and clearings in said forests. The mods simply add more gigantic trees that generate lag, in small patches everywhere, rather than evenly distributed throughout a forest.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Calinou wrote:
Those two look like good gamepacks. Hopefully soon i will have time to try them out. Also another thing about MT atm is the survival aspect to me is what seems missing the most.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Honestly I don’t care about what Minetest is supposedly missing over Minecraft.

The question is simply not relevant to me. I don’t play Minecraft and probably won’t. But that’s not the reason I don’t care.

The question wheather any feature is desirable to Minetest should not depend on which features Minecraft or any other game has.

Just because Minecraft has some feature X, does not neccessarily mean that feature is desirable for Minetest. Minecraft is not perfect. It has some quirks, for example: Sluggishness, mod system through 3rd party hacks, a pretty limited height (not more than 500 blocks iirc). You probably do not want to have these things in Minetest. Sure Minecraft has good features. But does that even matter to Minetest? I think not. What matters to is is wheather Minetest is good on its own, not just compared to some other game.

We should ask ourselves “What’s Minetest still missing?”, no matter if it’s in Minecraft or not.

Just look for good ideas. It is not forbidden to steal** great ideas from Minecraft. But keep in mind, it is the ideas that matter, not where they came from. So if a great feature is in Minecraft and you want it in Minetest, too, then you should explain why that idea is actually great and how it benefits Minetest, like with any other suggestion. ;)

Having that said, I think Minetest currently lacks this, in no particular order:
  • A generic tutorial which teaches the basics (controls, crafting, …) ((theoretically) valid for all subgames and mods). The concrete subgames may still have their own subgame-specific tutorials (if that’s neccessary). Yeah, Minetest is pretty confusing for those who are new to the genre. Without the wiki, I wouldn’t have figured out half the game. =)
  • A pretty and clean and user-friendly default interface. The current interface is ugly, messy and user-unfriendly. It keeps getting better, but it has a long way to go. Actually, Minetest could steal the design from Freeminer here. :-)
  • Playing around with the map generator is straight-forward (This is what I wish to be). I know some work has put into that lately, but there is always room to improve: Previews*, possibility to saving templates which you can save, load and share with others.
  • Colored lights. (Has been attempted several times before, each attempt failed so far. =( ). Just because they would be nice to look at. =)
  • Mob framework. (I mean, like, supported in the engine, accessible by Lua. Mob frameworks in Lua work, but are really slow.). They would bring more “life” to Minetest.
* = a 2D preview would suffice, there are already tools for creating 2D maps (I don’t know how usable they would be, however).
** = Of course I mean the word “steal” jokingly. Actually, I mean “copy”.

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Wuzzy wrote:a pretty limited height (not more than 500 blocks iirc).
256 blocks, sea level is at 62, there's bedrock at layer 5 and below.
Wuzzy wrote:We should ask ourselves “What’s Minetest still missing?”, no matter if it’s in Minecraft or not.

Just look for good ideas. It is not forbidden to steal** great ideas from Minecraft. But keep in mind, it is the ideas that matter, not where they came from. So if a great feature is in Minecraft and you want it in Minetest, too, then you should explain why that idea is actually great and how it benefits Minetest, like with any other suggestion. ;)
This is exactly what I do in Carbone. :P

I wouldn't use the word “steal”: it's just a matter of helping yourself, if you find an idea in Minecraft nice. Implementing stuff found in Minecraft then balancing it can turn out to be fun.
Wuzzy wrote:* A generic tutorial which teaches the basics (controls, crafting, …) ((theoretically) valid for all subgames and mods). The concrete subgames may still have their own subgame-specific tutorials (if that’s neccessary). Yeah, Minetest is pretty confusing for those who are new to the genre. Without the wiki, I wouldn’t have figured out half the game. =)
Having an introduction formspec show the first time you play somewhere, customisable by the server owner, would be a nice addition. By default, it would probably tell you a few basics about the game, which is better than nothing.
Wuzzy wrote:* A pretty and clean and user-friendly default interface. The current interface is ugly, messy and user-unfriendly. It keeps getting better, but it has a long way to go. Actually, Minetest could steal the design from Freeminer here. :-)
There could be tooltips in the menu and more complete item descriptions when hovering an item. The game could also have a larger font size by default.
Wuzzy wrote:* Colored lights. (Has been attempted several times before, each attempt failed so far. =( ). Just because they would be nice to look at. =)
This would increase the cost of lighting calculations by at least 3 times (if not done with a complete lighting overhaul, which is likely to break gameplay).
Wuzzy wrote:* Mob framework. (I mean, like, supported in the engine, accessible by Lua. Mob frameworks in Lua work, but are really slow.). They would bring more “life” to Minetest.
Try an optimized Simple Mobs (such as the one found in Carbone), it's probably not so slow. Quite a lot of rats spawn sometimes (near trees and in caves mostly), so it makes your world lively. :P

If you want it to be faster, tweak the server settings, like reducing the active object range.

Don't forget that if you port something done in Lua to C++ code, you have to cover the most use cases you can, to not restrict modders. Unlike Lua, C++ is not as flexible (since it's run client-side and has to be compiled) so you can't randomly add things in C++, since other players won't be able to benefit from it unless they get and use your client.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Calinou wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:* Colored lights. (Has been attempted several times before, each attempt failed so far. =( ). Just because they would be nice to look at. =)
This would increase the cost of lighting calculations by at least 3 times (if not done with a complete lighting overhaul, which is likely to break gameplay).
Good point. Sadly. :-(

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Calinou wrote: . . .
There could be tooltips in the menu and more complete item descriptions when hovering an item.
. . .
hooray for more "tooltips / infotext" everywhere! Make it possible by default in every formspec!
Calinou wrote: . . .
Wuzzy wrote:* Mob framework. (I mean, like, supported in the engine, accessible by Lua. Mob frameworks in Lua work, but are really slow.). They would bring more “life” to Minetest.
Try an optimized Simple Mobs (such as the one found in Carbone), it's probably not so slow. Quite a lot of rats spawn sometimes (near trees and in caves mostly), so it makes your world lively. :P

If you want it to be faster, tweak the server settings, like reducing the active object range.

Don't forget that if you port something done in Lua to C++ code, you have to cover the most use cases you can, to not restrict modders. Unlike Lua, C++ is not as flexible (since it's run client-side and has to be compiled) so you can't randomly add things in C++, since other players won't be able to benefit from it unless they get and use your client.
Maybe we should start by describing what such an "I can move anything" mobs/npc-api should provide. Should pathfinding be in the engine or do mobs differ so much that it must be left to be done in Lua? What should be the minimum the engine-side-mobs-api should provide? What variables should there be?

Of course this is not addressing the problems that happen if I generate a thousand rats at spawn or build a mall with several traders all serving customers at the same time. Those are design issues the devs will still have to think about in their multithreaded minds.

Mcc457

by Mcc457 » Post

I'm not sure if anyone has said this, but it seems to me Minetest is lacking a theme. Mine craft has a kind of mystery to it. Your placed in an odd world where you must survive using physical force, or using magic to enhance your abilities. You are left to wonder why you are here, the only human, in world of monsters and magic

Minetest doesn't have a theme. Playing the game vanilla puts you in a world, you don't have to survive, you can just recycle your environment into whatever you want to create. After that, the World is pretty much the same all around.

Maybe if a more scientific direction was taken, where you have to use chemistry and physics to manipulate your environment. For example you could combine the feces from animals and dead plant matter to quickly grow you plants. Or you could make gears from mined up steel and rubber from jungle trees to make a bicycle to help move you through the environment. A scientific theme could propel creativity and experimentation, thus making the game more interesting.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Mcc457 wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has said this, but it seems to me Minetest is lacking a theme. Mine craft has a kind of mystery to it. Your placed in an odd world where you must survive using physical force, or using magic to enhance your abilities. You are left to wonder why you are here, the only human, in world of monsters and magic

Minetest doesn't have a theme. Playing the game vanilla puts you in a world, you don't have to survive, you can just recycle your environment into whatever you want to create. After that, the World is pretty much the same all around.

Maybe if a more scientific direction was taken, where you have to use chemistry and physics to manipulate your environment. For example you could combine the feces from animals and dead plant matter to quickly grow you plants. Or you could make gears from mined up steel and rubber from jungle trees to make a bicycle to help move you through the environment. A scientific theme could propel creativity and experimentation, thus making the game more interesting.
I love that idea.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Mcc457 wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has said this, but it seems to me Minetest is lacking a theme. Mine craft has a kind of mystery to it. Your placed in an odd world where you must survive using physical force, or using magic to enhance your abilities. You are left to wonder why you are here, the only human, in world of monsters and magic

I love that idea.
+1

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

I think that the idea of not having a theme at all will attract more people. I think that an adventure theme is for the game makers, not for the actual game itself. If you want, go make a game that imitates MC's adventure idea. I like default, but that bundled up with other games would be nice...

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Mcc457 wrote: Maybe if a more scientific direction was taken, where you have to use chemistry and physics to manipulate your environment. For example you could combine the feces from animals and dead plant matter to quickly grow you plants. Or you could make gears from mined up steel and rubber from jungle trees to make a bicycle to help move you through the environment. A scientific theme could propel creativity and experimentation, thus making the game more interesting.
See this; Image

Currently working on machinist mobs where mobs may drop parts of themselves so you can construct mechanical versions that attack mobs rather than do the opposite (they'll attack hostiles only).

Mcc457

by Mcc457 » Post

philipbenr wrote:I think that the idea of not having a theme at all will attract more people. I think that an adventure theme is for the game makers, not for the actual game itself. If you want, go make a game that imitates MC's adventure idea. I like default, but that bundled up with other games would be nice...
Well, Minetest_game doesn't have a theme. Minetest_game is the first thing new comers see. It should draw them in.