What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд
GitHub: DaKurizz
IRC: Prototype
In-game: SuckerForPain

Re: What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

by ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд » Post

Andrey01 wrote:@Sucker For Pain, but i am saying textures are better here than in Minecraft. They are beautiful and more realistic. Also, Lua works better than Java actually. Mods are very nice here. Some of them are very advanced for so game. As Alive ai, Mobs redo, NSSM, Homedecor, Mesecons and etc.

If you don`t believe what i saying, you can read this my post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10539&p=282091#p282091
If Minetest is better then Minecraft would Minetest have tons of players, don't you think so. Few players which say Minecraft realistic textures are ugly can't compare with milions and milions Minecraft players which like they're realistic textures.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

It's not about the TYPE of textures anymore. It's about actually HAVING designed textures (instead of developer graphics).

drkwv
GitHub: aa6

by drkwv » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:Being unpolished is the number one issue Minetest has.
If you're talking about textures, I don't think they are number one issue of Minetest. I'd more likely wanted to see this https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1492 and fixed color issues I mentioned before. There is a lot of games with great graphics and zero gameplay. I prefer gameplay over graphics.

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд

Minetest have bunch of bugs, like seeing throught stone with second person view, duping items....

lisacvuk
GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

Are those not mods, comrade? And, as others have highlighted, those textures look ugly. Have you ever played Doom? People actually made HD textures and 3D models for it. Yet, none likes them. Guess why?
It's lisac, not lisa.
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
Administrator on Craig's server. Minetest player.
"The enemy pales when they see the face of Dazzle!" ~ Dazzle obviously.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks
I appreciate donations in TF2 items. :)

lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд wrote:Minetest have bunch of bugs, like seeing throught stone with second person view, duping items....
Yeah, and I'm guessing there are Minecraft mods for that aswell. Or is Minecraft modding so limited you cannot add craft recipes? Comrade, I believe you are missing the point of open source software. If you see a bug, you report it, or fix it if you are able. You don't do whatever it is you are doing right now.
And, always remember. If you are programming open source, you are programming COMMUNISM!
It's lisac, not lisa.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks

lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд wrote:
Andrey01 wrote:@Sucker For Pain, but i am saying textures are better here than in Minecraft. They are beautiful and more realistic. Also, Lua works better than Java actually. Mods are very nice here. Some of them are very advanced for so game. As Alive ai, Mobs redo, NSSM, Homedecor, Mesecons and etc.

If you don`t believe what i saying, you can read this my post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10539&p=282091#p282091
If Minetest is better then Minecraft would Minetest have tons of players, don't you think so. Few players which say Minecraft realistic textures are ugly can't compare with milions and milions Minecraft players which like they're realistic textures.
[citation needed]
It's lisac, not lisa.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

What? Are you telling me that we're all Sovieterrorists?

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд

lisacvuk wrote:
ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд wrote:Minetest have bunch of bugs, like seeing throught stone with second person view, duping items....
Yeah, and I'm guessing there are Minecraft mods for that aswell. Or is Minecraft modding so limited you cannot add craft recipes? Comrade, I believe you are missing the point of open source software. If you see a bug, you report it, or fix it if you are able. You don't do whatever it is you are doing right now.
And, always remember. If you are programming open source, you are programming COMMUNISM!
There is no server which i didn't found dupe glitch. ( Record Survival server No. 521 : 5 dupe glitchs 2 patched, 3 only i know )

lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд wrote:
lisacvuk wrote:
There is no server which i didn't found dupe glitch. ( Record Survival server No. 521 : 5 dupe glitchs 2 patched, 3 only i know )
Once again, comrade, gameplay is controlled by mods. Not by fucking Minetest itself. If you want to complain about glitches, replicate them in vanilla minetest_game.
It's lisac, not lisa.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

I don't think polish is the main issue. If what Minetest is right now was polished, it still wouldn't have very engaging gameplay except if you like building.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

Byakuren wrote:I don't think polish is the main issue. If what Minetest is right now was polished, it still wouldn't have very engaging gameplay except if you like building.
Which is why you can add mods with mobs. Minetest itself is a game engine.
It's lisac, not lisa.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

lisacvuk wrote:
Byakuren wrote:I don't think polish is the main issue. If what Minetest is right now was polished, it still wouldn't have very engaging gameplay except if you like building.
Which is why you can add mods with mobs. Minetest itself is a game engine.
I'll expand lisacvuk's argument in a friendly manner.
Let's see in this way: Minetest is "Unity" or "Love2d". Minetest already has a test game where it does show some of the capabilities of the engine itself like "Unity" or "Love2d" may do, that game is very simple and doesn't aim to be something "ammusing" and "enjoyable"; but it does aim to be something "playable" and "shower" of what the engine is capable of.
If you want to play something that is "enjoyable" and "ammusing" with that engine of course you will enter the forums of that engine and you'll search for some spicy stuff to play; otherwise you'll read the manual and you'll code yourself some spicy stuff for yourself and you may share it in the forums.
Have a nice day! :D

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

drkwv wrote:If you're talking about textures,
I don't. I talk about the overall look-and-feel and it just looks and feels unpolished no matter how good the textures are.

lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

I think this is getting a bit offtopic. We don't want to feed the troll here, comrades.
It's lisac, not lisa.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

Well, Minetest is an engine. It does need user-installed mods to be a full game. The problem here isn't that all the basic mods aren't default, the problem is that when users download Minetest, there is no mention that mods are are required, and therefore users expect a complete working game as soon as they download.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

BirgitLachner
In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Post

Beside all the things you already mentioned ...

what is still missing IMHO are professional MT server, where you are not only building houses but also play games like bedwars. Some pay money, to particpate in the games.Others can do it for free. But they use Minecraft. Okay, may be MT is missing game some engines, but there are some that come close to it: CTF and the new Eggwars.

Or, instead of a payment modell, have a founding with Patreon https://www.patreon.com/ to pay a server admin who cares about the server, the installation and may be new maps for players.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

There are “Hungry Games” servers. They were once popular, but nowadays nobody plays on them. But the servers still exist, you just need to organize some players.

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд

Wuzzy wrote:There are “Hungry Games” servers. They were once popular, but nowadays nobody plays on them. But the servers still exist, you just need to organize some players.
There were problems with Hunger game servers, chunks won't load or there are huge lags.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Whoever said we need to make it clear to the user that there is subgame. +1.

a bot

by a bot » Post

i feel the same way something that might help is some better mob mods, and some better textures and more of that minecraft smooth walking, and and head swivel, maybe i will definitely try to find out the "problem"

happysmash27
GitHub: happysmash27
IRC: happysmash27
In-game: happysmash27

by happysmash27 » Post

I think that another thing Minetest may be missing is a beautifull sky; the current sky is flat and boring with no sunset colour…

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Maybe I have only outdated mods. I figured some issues:

I'd summarise them like this: Minetest focuses too much on being realistic, which doesn't affect gameplay in a good way.

In minecr~1, you can do pretty well even with stone items. In Minetest, digging a house by a stone pickaxe seems me much slower. Also the stone sword is very weak against most of hostile mobs. I need something like 20 hits to kill one.

Also the hostile mobs in minecr~1 are weaker but also more common. In Minetest, hostile mobs are quite rare but much stronger. Also the weapons don't seem to do any knockback, so I have to hit and go backwards at the same time. I think, common weak mobs are better, so you can feel like a champion if you kill them all, rather than having a few strong mobs, so you get tired after killing one. Also minecr~1 mobs drop various items those can't be obtained any other way. In Minetest, hostile mobs don't yield any such items. There's no need to go hunting because it's far easier to obtain the items another way.

The distribution of ores might be another problem. Minetest has much higher terrain, which looks well, but the distribution of ores doesn't change accordingly. I personally like the thing that the land elevates to much higher heights but reaching iron from these heights takes much more time.

Also, in minecr~1, crops grow even on dry farmland. In Minetest, you need a wet farmland to grow anything. So you need to build your house near water or obtain iron to make a bucket. Sometimes the shores are too steep, so you'd rather obtain some iron (btw what about a wooden bucket?). Well, you can also melt the snow or ice, but these aren't everywhere as well. I don't know if this minds as well: Notice that growing crops underground is far easier in minecr~1.

Another thing is lava. In minecr~1, it's a common danger. In Minetest, you hardly find some. You need to dig much deeper to find some lava. I know, this is mostly because if the lava was as common as in minecr~1, it would flood whole underground. But what about smaller lava springs or lakes?

I think, Minetest can profit from the large underground. In my opinion, my mod underch is a good start.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Termos

by Termos » Post

+1 on having an actual default game.

By 'game' I mean there's stuff that happens independently of player's actions. Some kind of long term goal wouldn't hurt too.
Preferably as dissimilar to MC as possible.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Download plantlife, lib_ecology and lib_materials, or adsurv and it'll feel wayyyyyyyyyy better
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL